• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bug out vehicle Deuce, H1, Suburban,

alfred10

I am looking for a bug out vehicle. It has to have 4 wheel drive. I am moving to the North Eastern part of the US and want something that will go through deep snow. I figure the roads wont be plowed in SHTF as I have seen them closed b.c of snow in the past.

I want the vehicle to be big enough to live in if need be.

I suppose the only reason I like the Deuce is that it seems to be able to go through more stuff than a lifted suburban. The cons are no AC for summer heat and body armor and everyone will see me comming. I also would like a higher top speed than 60 mph.

I am considering an 80's chevy suburban, 1994 F150 with a camper back, or what ever you guys reccomend.

I was told that full size trucks get stuck easier in snow and mud. Is this true?

Is it possible to make a full size vehicle go better in snow and off road than a ford ranger, chevy s10 etc?

What pros would I get out of going with an M35A2 or A3 over a regular vehicle?

AaronW

Just get one of everything you want and be done with it. That way you will have backups and can tow yourself when you get stuck. Make each vehicle one room of your new "house". If a big truck gets stuck in the snow, drive a little on out. etc etc etc

Flyingvan911

I think a M35a2 or M109 would do great. They can make it through 2 feet of snow and you can buy single or duel-tire chain sets for it. I'd rather not have A/C in the summer than be stuck in the winter. You can turn the back of M109 into a survival camper with a little money and creativity. You can also carry alot more in a Deuce vs. a hummer. The Hummer does do well in snow if you want something smalled than a Deuce.

Last edited:

Flyingvan911

There must be websites that focus on Apocalyptic issues. This is an MV site, not a Dooms Day site.

Seriously
Very true. The odds of being in a major natural distaster is very remote. I think the major benefit a Deuce or Hummer would be in severe weather. I know some guys who live in PA. This past winter they would have liked to have had something big.

majorhitt

I live in Northeast Pa, We get a fair amount of snow, nothing to keep you stranded or stop you from getting out. My house is not real easy to get to or out of in deep snow. I had an S10 blazer with a shovel ,blankets,and extra gear in the back. I later got a 92 F150 with a cap on the box. I kept the gear in a tool box in the back. Both vehicles were good in the snow. The Blazer and Suburban type vehicles can be run to keep warm, however you have to keep in mind the exhaust gases can be deadly. The Boy Scout motto Be Prepared does come in handy.

wb1895

Consider price as well......A MV, for the most part, is already set up for what you are wanting, and a MV is usually cheaper than the civi counterparts. Now, fuel consumption is a whole other issue..........

alfred10

I am mainly looking at the A3 b.c I figured they will be smoother riding, need less work since they are newer, and work for bad weather right out of the box. Is a Deuce able to go through more bad stuff like snow, mud, etc than a Hummer H1?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, no, no, and maybe. A3s are slower than A2s. Neither will go 60 MPH"out of the box".

The way your throwing ideas around, I gather that money is not an issue? Have you ever driven a 14000 lb truck? Have you done any off roading? Are you a competent mechanic with tools and a shop to do your own work? Do you have a drivers license?

You would be better off contacting the company that builds Presidential limos and Secret Service vehicles, than buying a truck that is 40 years old. A3s have no aftermarket replacement parts available.

Last edited:
Reactions: emr

alfred10

Whats the average highway mileage for a M35A3 and A2? I thought about fuel consumption but considering that the new 2008 F350 gets 8MPG highway with a load and 11 empty makes me want a Deuce even more.

The F350 gets terrible mileage.

fuel economy???? - Twitch Wiki

alfred10

No, no, no, and maybe. A3s are slower than A2s. Neither will go 60 MPH"out of the box".

The way your throwing ideas around, I gather that money is not an issue? Have you ever driven a 14000 lb truck? Have you done any off roading? Are you a competent mechanic with tools and a shop to do your own work? Do you have a drivers license?

You would be better off contacting the company that builds Presidential limos and Secret Service vehicles, than buying a truck that is 40 years old. A3s have no aftermarket replacement parts available.
The largest thing I ever drove was an F550 Dump truck. Im not a mechanic and dont have any tools. Lets say I found a mechanic. Is a Deuce more labor intensive than a regular truck? Will it be a nightmare for me? How do you fix an A3 if there are no parts avaliable?

wb1895

Unless you know what you are doing when working on trucks stay away from a M35A3 and a H1......Out of the options you have given your best bet is to get a M35A2.

They are the easiest to work on (out of the options you gave)

I would HIGHLY recommend that you educate yourself about these trucks before you even think about buying one. If you were in NC I would be glad to show you around my M35A2 but these are NOT trucks that "average joe" can buy, maintain, and operate without some type of knowledge or experience.

These trucks on average are 14,000 lbs and most are close to 40 years old, and have single circuit brakes. Please educate yourself about these trucks, even the H1's before driving them on the road.

Long story short, I am sure that someone here on SS that is close to you would be glad to show you around their truck so you can be, at a minimum, familiar with them and then you can make an educated decision on what you want.

Biggles

No matter what you do. NO vehicle is perfect. I have a deuce and an M1009 I'm confident that in some sort of disaster I will be fine but I also had to own the deuce for a while before I was comfortable with my ability to fix it and I AM a mechanic If you are handy with a wrench and know how to work on regular vehicles these are fairly simple creatures once you get to know them but to just buy one and expect to be "ready to go" without prior experience is daft. The deuce will get you anywhere you need to go carrying whatever you need to carry as long as your reasonable but the A3's and H1's are kinda specialized in comparison. sure CTIS is neat but I don't know how to work on it and i know I can't get parts just anywhere so my motto has always been simpler is better.

6x6guy

One thing sure about a M35 or M109, you have one of three choices,
1) go around what evers in the way,
2) push or pull it out of the way,
3) just drive over it.

tm america

If you are thinking about getting a deuce .Go to the resources and read the tm s on them then reread them. Most of the questions you have can be answered there. Then go read some of the topics in the mod section for that vehicle.The a3 uses mostly med duty truck parts for the mechanical as far as the engine and trans the rest is very similar to the a2 or can be replaced with a2 parts.And yes the a3 is slower than the a2 and is more problematic to.As far as an h1 i say if you can afford one it's unlikely you have a set of wrenchs why even worry about what it takes to fix it.There are still hummer dealers to work on them for you at 120per hour.

Last edited:

NEIOWA

... A3s have no aftermarket replacement parts available.
Let's not overdue the anti A3 nonsense.

Most of the A3 components are same as any other Duece (body etc). Engine parts are stock CAT/get at any CAT dealer. Same for the Allison transmission. Tire inflation system not so. And A3 had total rebuild in 1998-99 so perhaps better condition. Depends on the user etc etc etc. During the rebuilds Sam added the late model "goodies" most of the guys here only wish they had on the old horse.

Drive trains on the older truck obviously are simpler, as any other obsolete 1950s technology. Strong and simple and easy for a highschool dropout/draftee GI parts swapper to work on.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am not "Anti A3".

As I said, no AFTERMARKET parts.

Yeah you can buy parts from the original manufactures of the major components but, you won't be buying A3 specific parts from New Star parts retailers, or other "normal channels" of Surplus MV parts, you won't find bulk quantity surplus parts at Swap Meets, etc...

With A2s, we all stock up on parts, usually bought on line or at swap meets etc.

I don't know of anyone that just goes to the CAT or Allison dealers and buys new production components at full retail prices, just to stock up.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks