• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bug out vehicle Deuce, H1, Suburban,

mcmullag

suburbanite

Back in 2007, I had a stock 3/4 ton 4x4 Chevy Suburban with B F Goodrich All Terrain tires on it, that sucka did great in deep snow, I was pulling full size pickups out of deep drifts. Ya cant fix stupid.
I got rid of it b/c it got 11 mpg all the time.
I read everyday on this site for a year and a half, before I bought a deuce. Have not tested my deuce off road.

srodocker

im setting up my truck with a extra set of filters/hoses and im going to have the 395's with a spare standing up in the bed with a truck crane in the back. might even do 2. im hoping to do the alaska trip next summer. it will be a good test. im also hoping to work on my 105 set up for a mini camper someday...

militarysteel

if there was truly a bugout situation, witch i highly doubt will ever happen, you would want a Multifuel, a hammer, punch, a pan and maybe a couple 5 gallon buckets, then if there is no gas. there will be cars all over on the sides of the road, you can punch all the pans drain oil, gas, diffs,trans dump it in your fuel tank and be on your way, no other engine will allow you to burn all that with such robustness.

what you look for in a survival truck, depends mainly on how many people you are taking, and where you plan on going. is it just you? or do you have a gaggle of kids to tote around? do you have a spot to go, or are you just going to wonder? we originally planned on using a deuce with a U-Haul box to build our off-road camper/bov... but logistically the cons outweighed the pros... to big, to visible, to easy to follow... an M1010 turned out to be ideal... not saying it is for you, just saying consider everything you need to know about what will work for you before rushing out and spending money...

Alredneck

Banned
Well in all fairness! I send folks over here from WhenSHTF.com which is more of a preparedness/survival forum. A bunch of my old Grunts are on over there. And while talking about BugOut vehicles is not bad, when it comes to everything MV related theres no better source than SS! Sorry but lots of MV info on here. I dont have a problem talking about zombies, sheeple and BOVs or BOBs ( not bobbed deuces but we can do that to ). Its good to share ideas that not only relate to our hobies but can also teach us something about each other that will make us better in our lives and understand things around us!

panshark

military steel forgot to include wrenches on his "stranded evacuation highway full of cars" idea. forget the beat-it-outta-ya approach with the hammer/punch v. rear end, just use a wrench. Might also make draining oil a bit faster if you're using the plug drain rather that a small hole made with a punch.:deadhorse:

jdr2710

I am mainly looking at the A3 b.c I figured they will be smoother riding, need less work since they are newer, and work for bad weather right out of the box. Is a Deuce able to go through more bad stuff like snow, mud, etc than a Hummer H1?
Since this thread got revived I thought I'd add my bit since I have a 1995 H1 and a singled A2.

Bear in mind the deuce has the strictly highway tires, just wavy ribs, not knobby, but also not NDTs and the H1 has BFG all terrains. Last winter I went to move the deuce from where I park in the meadow in about 8" of snow and I needed to lock in the front axle to move, and even then it wasn't doing great. Whereas in that same meadow in previous years, in the same place I park the deuce, I was able to back the H1 up to my flatbed trailer and pull it out in 20" of snow. I did have to lock the H1 transfercase into low to get the power to spin the tires and dig, but it did fine.

That being said I've taken the H1 on road trips and learned that if something breaks down you get to wait at least 3 days to get parts, even just for an alternator. Granted if the Deuce were to break down you might have even more fun finding parts!

The H1 is quite a bit more comfy with AC, power steering, CTIS, etc. But I do loves the deuce for heavy hauling. My avatar pic is of the H1 on the Holy Cross trail here in Colorado. I did all the trail up to French's creek, at which point I parked it as the line of jeeps, etc was so long I didn't figure they'd be done before dark. The H1 had zero issues with the trail, climbing over all the nasty bits without complaint. I have to admit I'd be scared to take the deuce up the same trail as the width and the angle it takes to get through some of the obstacles can be pretty sharp. In the avatar pic I had to climb up the side of the trail a bit to get a decent line, and still ended up with that front tire waving for the camera.

I have considered the bug out aspect in passing, and if it were possible I'd want both the deuce and the H1. The deuce is great for the hauling and multi-fuel, where the hummer is considerably more agile and could act as a scout vehicle.

DJDD

What you're not looking at here is your role in a SHTF situation. Will you be traveling alone or with friends? Do you have convoy routes and places to refuel or will you just GTFO of Dodge? Its not just the vehicle you need to look at but its place in things.

I own an 05 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4, it does decent in snow and mud. However, it will merely be a scout vehicle for the convoy. Its rugged, but comfortable and fast compared to a HMMVW or Deuce. Will you be the lead in a convoy or will you be by yourself? Will you need to scout ahead or will you just plow through whatever you see?

panshark

you would also have to look at what the most sensible evacuation action is. If you are using a limited access roadway to reach your destination (which might not be up in the hills eating beans out of a can, it might be your cousin's townhouse 250 miles away) then an extremely agile vehicle may not be to your benefit. Imagine having an agile scout vehicle trying to navigate the emergency lane of a gridlocked highway, only to hit a dead end. Same can hold true for a median. A duece or 5-ton might be able to open up an avenue of travel if the obstruction was caused by a passenger car or truck. One of the most recent SHTF situations at my geographic locale was the Mt Saint Helen eruption, where blackout conditions made vehicular travel next to impossible. Emergency vehicles had to change oil every few hundred miles. If I absolutely needed to evacuate during a similar volcanic situation, I would want to be relying on a crusty multi-fuel, as opposed to a brand-new diesel or gasser that has a computer that will throw a fit about the hazardous quality of air.[thumbzup]

STSCSS

Ok deuces are nice but a 5 ton wrecker leading a couple of M37's with m101's is a little more flexable when shtf happens. Depending upon that SHTF will mean how much lead time you have. With that in mind who is really going to wait till the last minute and be trapped with the heard of sorry sam's?

panshark

Just some food for thought about the volcano situation--I'm a few hundred miles downwind of the volcano, and a local from north of here said he was walking home from church when he saw what looked like a big, dark storm coming fast across the desert. He wasn't tuned into a radio station, didn't hear an emergency siren from a fire department. He just hurried up his pace to get home, and once he was home the town was engulfed in no time. After the debris hit, no one was advised to go outdoors, due to hazardous conditions. Some disasters are slow, and some aren't. It's hard to not be in the same herd of sorry sam's after an earthquake, unless an earthquake isn't enough to drive you into refugee status.:razz:

STSCSS

Volcano's are something that does give advance notice, earthquakes I must agree are the wild card. Any SHTF plan should have a couple of options 1. Shelter in place for those events you cant get out of. 2. Short term evac for events that will allow a return (Gas leak, Chemical Spill) to home. 3. Shelter at bug out site for longer events (Flooding, Weather, Zombies, War, etc.) Its all about planning and having options that you have a hand in controlling.
My plan includes starting the trucks each week and rotating food in to and out of storage both here and at the bug out site evey season. First aid, books tools and clothes are all checked also.
MRE's and other Short Term supplies are at a minumim (60 days). I feel that having cash (open Credit card) to buy fresh canned food and grains if the big event were to start presenting means i have flexability in my plans.
Hardware, parts and fuel are something you cant buy fast enough if SHTF. If you have a group a people a nearby Sams club like store you can load out for 180 days is less than an hour.