• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bug screens in front of deuce radiator...

AZK9

Hi Folks...

I just completed the installation of a new radiator in my deuce. It's in great shape
and completely free of bugs and the like. (In a strange OD/MV kind of way, it's beautiful!) :mrgreen:

My wife and I started talking about several of the X-country trips we've made in the past
and that brought up memories of nasty bug-swarms that can seriously block air-flow and
put a strain on a normal civi vehicle... especially during the very hot summer months.

It got us thinking about the possibility of installing a 'bug-screen' in front of our bright, shiny,
clean and new deuce radiator! :grin: (Seriously... it looks awesome to us! 8) 8)) Still... it's not
really about how new it looks, rather... we want it to function effectively so it does not lead
to roadside problems between NJ and Arizona.

Anyway... just so I would not be trying to reinvent things, or do something that might actually
cause a problem later... under brutal heat conditions, I've been searching the forum and web
in general to gather info on the subject. Well... I did find information dealing with trying to
cover the radiator in cold weather situations, but for some reason... I've not found much on
keeping bugs and the like out of the 'fins' during the hot seasons.

Any thoughts, or experience that could be shared would be greatly appreciated. My trip in
the deuce will be a long one (3000 +/- miles) and now looks like it will happen in mid to late
July. My personal driving experiences along much of the path I'll be traveling pretty much
insures there will be few if any BUG-Free Zones along the route!

Is the whole idea foolish? Might I add 'strain' to the engine under the heat of the JULY sun?
If it's not a stupid idea, what might be some appropriate materials to incorporate into the design?

Let me know what you think. Thanks in advance for any insight on this topic!! [thumbzup]

Coldpan35

You could always put wire window screen over the brush guard it has smaller holes and might catch more bugs. Or you could just hose the bugs out of the radiator.

AZK9

You could always put wire window screen over the brush guard ...
That's one of the things we were thinking of doing, but would there be a danger of restricting the air-flow
too much with the hot temps of summer? We're especially worried once we get into the extreme, brutal
heat of the southwest in July.

We've driven through some seriously bad locust swarms that leave so much 'blockage' that even a hose
was unable to remove the dead bugs (without damage to the fins with a pressure washer).

The 'carnage' remained on there for a VERY long time!

locust-swarm-0001.jpg

Do not care to do that again! :shock:

AZDeuce

My deuce runs 180 degrees give or take 5 degrees even in the summer going uphill, the radiator is bigger than the engine requires. putting the screen in front of the radiator will not restrict cooling....well once it gets FULL of bugs it will but the deuce runs great in the AZ desert in the summer.....YOU'LL wish you had A/C in it, but the radiator/truck will be just fine. Been doing this over 30 years, deuces are great in the desert.

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,....

Well as somebody who lives in an arid country and deals with temps over 40deg C with bugs etc,... we put fly screen in front of our radiators and it works just fine!
It will not restrict airflow at all.
You can put the fly screen between the radiator and the brush guard so you don't see it by pinning it to some wood rod top and bottom simply held with cable ties.
Very simple and out of sight.

Aussie.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Got to the local big box store and get a pre-made screen sized closest to the size of the radiator. Get metal screen (aluminum) not the synthetic crap.

Make sure that you can get it behind the grill and find a way to attach it for easy removal.

If you get into a swarm of bugs just watch the temp gauge and if it starts climbing stop and knock the bugs off.

You may notice that the birds really appreciate the all you can eat buffet that a screen provides at a fuel stop. I've had two or three at once dining on the front of a truck I had this system on.

AZK9

My deuce runs 180 degrees give or take 5 degrees even in the summer going uphill, the radiator is bigger than the engine requires. putting the screen in front of the radiator will not restrict cooling....well once it gets FULL of bugs it will but the deuce runs great in the AZ desert in the summer.....YOU'LL wish you had A/C in it, but the radiator/truck will be just fine. Been doing this over 30 years, deuces are great in the desert.
Good to know that the deuce loves the desert heat! I had not thought about the size of the radiator being over designed. Glad to hear that! [thumbzup]
It's going to be a rough trip for me with no A/C, but I've survived X-Country trips without it before. I'd love to have a cool cab, but as long as I keep
properly hydrated, I'll probably be ok. I often prefer to drive at night when it's not quite so brutal, but then resting in the heat of the day can be tough.

... You can put the fly screen between the radiator and the brush guard so you don't see it ...
Sounds like a good idea. I think that's what we'll do. :-D Maybe get the pre-made one that Wreckerman893 suggested below to save me a bit of time at this point.

Got to the local big box store and get a pre-made screen sized closest to the size of the radiator. Get metal screen (aluminum) not the synthetic crap.

Make sure that you can get it behind the grill and find a way to attach it for easy removal.

If you get into a swarm of bugs just watch the temp gauge and if it starts climbing stop and knock the bugs off.

You may notice that the birds really appreciate the all you can eat buffet that a screen provides at a fuel stop. I've had two or three at once dining on the front of a truck I had this system on.
Hey... in a remote emergency situation... it is protein!! The birds have the right idea... Snack-Time right off 'the grill'!! :wink:

oboyjohn

I agree with wreckerman, a prefabbed home bugscreen approximately the same size ( or as close as possible) would be the best to prevent clogging your rad with bugs. Add a couple of zip ties and your in business.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have used window screen (metal) in front of radiators for years. The bugs can be removed from it much easier than trying to clean them out of the radiator core or if you have it on a vehicle with one in front of the radiator, the AC core. You can use a stiff paint brush through the grill guard to brush them off. Before you put the screen on you can paint it an appropriate color so it does not show up so much. I cut it about 1/2" oversize each side so I can double over the margins for added stiffness. At the top I use small diameter wire on each corner to go through the doubled over part of the screen up to an available anchor point at the top corners of the radiator. You can also anchor the bottom of the screen the same way.
Regards Martin

AZK9

I dug around the shed in search of something I can use to fab up a bug screen, but only came
away with nylon window screening. If I get a chance to run out to a hardware store I'd like to
get some metal material, or a complete, adjustable, framed product (if they carry them).

Maybe something like this...

window-screen-radiator-0001.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks