• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Build Thread - 1986 M1031

jets1959

My deepest condolences as well! We are about MV's here, but we all agree family comes first. Take of yourself and your family. The truck and trailer will still be there.

bshupe

Thanks for all the kind words and encouragement.

Slowly I am getting back on track with this project. It has been too long for me to edit my first post with new information so I will just start adding onto the end with updates and photos as I go.

I was able to get the contact box off and set aside for later. I got the fleetside bed installed with the ORD 1" body lift. (NOTE: all the bolts were too short and they were hex head not carriage bolts. To the scrap heap with them and bought a set of the correct thing from Tacoma Screw.) One hick-up I had with this swap that I dont recall reading about anywhere is that the filler neck for the fuel tank to the contact box is longer than the stock one so when the standard bed went on and we just sort of stuck the filler neck up by the fuel door we/I didnt realize that it put a big kink in the hose. I didnt find out about this until the next time I went to put fuel in. The pump shot off right way and so I looked in there with a light and the whole thing was folded up. Im glad I was close to home and not yet on fumes. I think this weekend I will take the filler neck off and shorten it so it will fit properly.

I have completely changed direction on the wheels. I am selling the H1 split rims I have as well as the stock CUCV wheels/tires and am going to go with plain steel rims with the 37" take-offs. I am looking for used wheels but am not having much luck. I may end up buying new Pro Comp wheels or something similar.

I was able to fix my voltage gauge by adding a new resister over the old one. I love when things work even if they arent critical items.

I had one of my 6LT batteries lose a cell and start going flat on me all the time so I pulled both of them out and replaced them with standard automotive batteries from Costco. $89 with a 3 year warranty. Im selling the one battery I had that was new and good if you know anyone who needs one. Good price but not giving it away.

I completed my paint test and am very happy with the Behr color I came up with. It is starting to get cold here now so I might have to wait till next year to paint. Not sure if I can wait that long though.

I have my rough plans together for extending the PTO shaft to the back bumper and will be working on that this winter as well.

Thanks again to everyone here on SS!

Attachments

bshupe

Wheels

After many weeks of searching I was able to locate a set (4) of 16.5" wheels. They looked like they were in pretty good shape with a decent coat of paint on the face that I figured I could rough up and use as a base coat. They came from the local bone yard and cost $60 for all four.

I took them over to my buddies shop and put them in the media blasting box and cleaned them up. The paint on the front stayed on pretty good and the backs practically look new after blowing all the grim and filth off. I hung them up and laid down a coat of primer and then flat black paint to keep with the original look of the truck. I went back and fourth about painting them to match the body but in the end I want it to look as original as possible. The paint looks glossy in the photos but its just wet.

I hope to get the tires mounted today and back on the truck so at least Im rolling but I am still waiting on ORD to get back to me about the issue I am having with the body lift.

Attachments

bshupe

Hey Danger Ranger.

I think the trailer only weighs a couple hundred pounds plus wheels/tires. I think the contact box weighs about 500 lbs or so plus the generator etc. I guess all told it will be about 1200# depending on what I keep in the trailer.

I am also considering that I may need to add ballast to keep the CG nice and low and to keep the tongue weight right.

When Im all done I will run it over the scales and post a follow up. It might be next spring by the time I get it done, apologies in advance.

Danger Ranger

I am curious as to what it could be effectively towed with when done. Obviously a full size pickup, but off road to service a tractor in the field, or equipment on the job, I don't imagine a Jeep Cherokee, or a smaller suv could effectively tow it in those situations. Let us know how this project works out. I think I could find a use for this.

bshupe

Ill keep you posted for sure.

If I was to put my opinion out there I would think the trailer would go just about anywhere the tow vehicle could go within reason. I dont know if all these trailers are the same (I think they may be) but this one had a generator on it. The weight of the genset plus fuel etc. would be a substantial load so I think just about anything that could fit in the contact box would be just fine.

My feeling is that the biggest vulnerability with the contact box as a trailer will be tipping over for being top heavy and/or a big sail in a wind storm. Since I am retaining the generator I think I will be at an advantage with that big weight forward and down low. On the other hand I will be putting H1 take-offs on it to match the truck which might be a mistake. If so then I might be posting a thread on how to do a pintal drop hitch of some kind. :D

bimota

Ok, last post was a year ago - what's up now? I'm almost shocked that a perfectly good truck would be torn down but hey I understand it is a hobby for some of you rich guys. Where's all the stuff now?

bshupe

I am going to extend the PTO shaft to a fixture on the back bumper. I am going to put a fixture on the underside of the trailer with a PTO input. I am going to fab a PTO shaft that will bridge the gap from the bumper to the trailer. I am going to use a military connector with a patch cable to run the governor controls etc.

So far the only serious conflict I have found with this plan is the exhaust. I will likely need to convert to a single pipe down the passenger side to make room for the shaft.

bshupe

Go to o'Reilly auto parts and buy one for under $20
Good call. I think he may have in mind the light assembly that is common on the HMMWV and the trailers etc. with the integrated black-out light and all that. I would like those for my contact box too but mine came with the cheap boat trailer lights on it.

jets1959

They are not trailer lights. They are Chevy step side and medium duty truck lights. I even used the Chevy medium duty truck license plate bracket to mount my plate?

bshupe

OK, time for a little update. We have had a break in the rain and cold so I dove in on mating the Contact box with the generator trailer. It ended up being much simpler than I thought it would be even though it wasnt perfect.

For added stability and appearance I would really prefer a longer axle so that the tires were out closer to the edge of the contact box but I dont think I will end up doing that just for cost. If I was using or start using the trailer on a regular basis then I will likely make that change. The shocks on this trailer have mysterious forklift marks on them so I think I will try to find some replacements. Maybe some coil-overs so I can stiffen it up a bit.

I will be fabbing up a spare tire mount for the front of the box along with a couple of jerry can locations. I have decided that I will mount the PTO pulley up inside the box rather than under it to keep the whole PTO works up away from the ground. This will make it about level with the truck bumper so I should be able to have a pretty level PTO shaft install with a guard over it to keep people from getting hurt and to carry the wiring patch cable.

More updates/pics to follow.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks