• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bull ride question

diverman555

In Memorial
In Memorial
Most of the time my M923A1 rides smooth on the freeways but on certain stretches of the freeway it gives you a bull ride effect. Bouncing from front to back, front to back bouncing. Could this be just the freeway in that area, or could the shocks be going bad? Like I had said it only does it in certain areas then it will stop, and when I go back over that area again it starts doing it again.

Jesse6325

Sounds like harmonics between road speed and bumps in the highway. When I drove interstate there were sreches of road that would ride smooth as glass at 63 and 66 MPP, But at 64 and 65 the truck would act like it was galloping. Different highways/vehicles have thier sweet spots.

diverman555

In Memorial
In Memorial
Thank you, the thing is if I go 65 on a section of I-94 it will buck, if I do 65 on 275 it does not buck.
I think it might be a combination of the 2 things. The road in that certain area and the speed.
You are right about the speed because if I slow to 60 it stops.

jedawson1

That is a common problem on older concrete roads, when I was driving I found that an empty truck was more prone to it than a loaded truck. There is a stretch of old hwy out of Birmingham, AL that is notorious for causing that bucking. Don't worry about, either adjust your speed, or try a different lane, a lot of times the passing lane ages much better due to less semi traffic.

diverman555

In Memorial
In Memorial
We just put about 100 miles of freeway driving to be in a ARCA/ Nascar Event to display the truck and flags and to support our troops, and it bucked about 5% of the time I would change lanes and it would stop or change speeds. So I think it's just a combination of the road and speed.
Thank you all.
Mark

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Just looking at your title, I see it was done to make bull riding easier to search as It is one of the number one topics on a MV site, GOOD job, [thumbzup] :beer:, wish more would think along these lines, would really help in search, a good clean title

diverman555

In Memorial
In Memorial
Thank you:
I did spend a minute thinking about how to title it, because every other way I could think of it would come up in 5oo threads. What if I put shocks, or HELP bouncing. lol
Mark

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the same issue with both my m923 and my m35a2. Both have the big radial tires. I found that reducing the speed helps on both rigs.

Also I dropped the air pressure down to 35 lbs. That helped both the ride and handling.

quickfarms

You need to learn how to read the road. Paying attention to the cracks and tar sealer will give you an indication as to the road condition. Most of the freeways in this country are beyond there life expectancy and should be replaced.

One option is to put several thousand pounds in the back. You should cary around a restored jeep as a display.

91W350

You will find that blacktop overlays will still transmit the concrete expansion cracks to the seat of your pants. Try US 81 between Yankton SD and Belleville KS.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I first got my M818 5 ton, it would rock back and forth at speed. After reading a few threads here about it, I decided to move some wheels/tires around to different positions.

I can't seem to find it now, but somewhere I read that one should attempt to get the average of the combined rollout of the tires of each of the rear axles to be as close as possible. The differential will take care of any left to right variance, but there is no such differential between the rear axles, so if the tallest tires are on one axle and the shortest tires are on the other axle, the tall one will want to to "pass" the other one.

The shortest tires go together on one side of an axle with the tallest on the opposite side. The remaining tires go on the other axle in such a way to have the average rollout between the two axles as close as possible.

After I arranged the tires like this, my truck stopped its "bucking." This process is easier on a M923A1 because there are 4 less tires to deal with.

diverman555

In Memorial
In Memorial
One of the issues is on I-75 in Michigan when they replace parts of the freeway the will replace every other 10 ft. section of concrete if it is not all broke, so you end up with every section is at a different height that the others, which is what usually starts the bucking.

diverman555

In Memorial
In Memorial
Wreckerman, I did that with my wife once. I called her another womans name to see if I could stay
on for 8 seconds. Didn't make it, I heard bells ringing but I think it was from her punching me in the head. LOL

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks