• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bumper Build M923-A2

GUNRUNNER1976

New to the forum but thought I would share my bumper build. I spent alot of time searching for the right design. I finally just decide to wing it on my own. The construction is all 1/2 inch plate. I hate bumpers that are "just for looks" so I went thick. Im considering adding a winch and some type of serious bull bar on top so I havn't had it powder coated yet. Would love to hear what you think!

Attachments

Last edited:

dilligaf13

I like it, it's very Mad Max-ish. Did you reinforce the original bumper? I'd like to see a pair of robust D-rings on the front face of the new bumper but the mounting to the original bumper would have to be able to withstand the transferred load.

Special T

That would come im handy pushing the pop cans off the I-5 since very few people know how to drive in Seattle any more... Kina has a RR engine cattle catcher look to it... I Like

EvylRyde

I agree with dilligaf13. It is very reminiscent of Mad Max. The only thing that would concern me at all would be it's affect on your angle of approach. Digging that thing into a hill could definitely bring any movement to a grinding halt.

Baradium

I like the looks of it but, after thinking about it for a few minutes, I highly recommend making the front have a 12" or more flat space on it rather than staying pointed like that. You hit anyone broadside in a 5 ton and they are in trouble as it is, but putting all that force on a single point like that would be a disaster for anyone you hit. A small flat spot will still let you push anything you want out of the way without much trouble, but increase survivability in an accident for anyone you hit by a large amount.

An alternative would be to add a push bar type setup that protrudes to almost the forward point maybe 6" on each side. It'll let you keep the look and also not be nearly as much work since the bumper is already built.

GUNRUNNER1976

I agree that D-rings are a must. I will have to mount the original D-ring brackets up front somewhere. ...Yes i did incorporate the original bumper but plated all sides. I also made new mounting brackets on top while reusing all 4 original brackets on bottom. I will have to try out the approach angle on the hillside behind my house tomorrow. Its as steep as I would ever want to climb anyway. I agree also that an impact from this thing would not be pleasant. Hopefully in the rural area I live in I can avoid such accidents. We seldom drive it more than 10 miles at a time down country roads. I would love to see some ideas for an equally menacing rear bumper.
Gave the approach angle a try today. Looks like I still have plenty of clearance. Its only 12 inches below the stock bumper.

Last edited: