• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bumper marking translation

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have an M925A2 that came out of Ft. Jackson, SC. As you face the truck from the front, the passenger side bumper marking reads TDC FJ. I know this means Tactical Doctrine Command, Ft. Jackson. The driver's side reads TAB 061. Does anyone know what TAB 061 might mean? Thanks!

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the clarification, Brian. I did a search on TAB on the Ft. Jackson website, but found nothing. Your explanation sounds reasonable.

When I was at Ft. Jackson, MLRS hadn't been invented yet, and there were no Active Duty assets other than training support as fas I as I know.

The MLRS Battalion we had in the Michigan Army Guard (182nd FA/MLRS, 177thMP BDE) may have had a Target Acquisition Battery, but I never heard of it. I was with the Direct Support Unit and we called ourselves the "inflight missile mechanics" or "rocket docs" and only worried about the launcher getting the rounds downrange. Never wondered how they decided where the target was.

EDIT:
IIRC, TRADOC is actually HQd at Ft. Jackson and so all of the pubs and doctrine statements from TRADOC are credited with being written there. MLRS is actually considered Field Artillery (FA) and unless they've stuck a new unit at Jackson, Artillery comes out of Ft. Sill, OK.