• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bumper markings

Lt.Horne

Hello, Brothers in Steel
I need your help, what mean markings on USMC vehicles - numbers in rectangle , rhombus in 1980s?
And red and yellow square?
Thank you for your time and knowledge
Beirut 1982-1983
Opera Zrzut ekranu_2022-02-07_135322_picryl.com.png
272116363_1592009511166839_4416540430422420232_n.jpg
Opera Zrzut ekranu_2022-02-07_233951_picryl.com.png

MotorTMan

From what I can remember, the markings on the bumpers are as follows:

A rectangle around the number meant it was part of FSSG (Force Service Support Group)
A diamond around the number meant it was a Division unit vehicle. In the M151s case 2nd Marine Division
Now the number…….
2542 on the M51A2 is 8th Engineer Support Battalion 2nd FSSG
2134 would be a grunt unit of 2nd Marine Division
2533 on the M54A2C is A Company 8th Motor Transport Battalion 2nd FSSG
These vehicles are from Camp Lejeune, NC
I was with 8th Motors in the mid to late 80s.

Now the colored squares on the bumpers likely were for staging purposes. When there was a deployment or a “float” as we called it, the parent company would “loan” both Marines and corresponding equipment to the deployment. As for the vehicles, they were crowded onto cargo ships in no particular order. When they arrived at their destination country or port, advanced party Marines (who flew over and had every vehicle endorsement on their government license) unloaded the ships. Not knowing unit numbers, the drivers would just take their red coded vehicle to the red staging area and so on, so when the Navy ships full of Marine units arrived later, they could go to the proper staging area to retrieve their equipment. Going back to Camp Lejeune after the operation, the opposite happened. There were other ways of doing this also, like a paper in the window, but color coding was easiest. Hope this helps you……..

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
From what I can remember, the markings on the bumpers are as follows:

A rectangle around the number meant it was part of FSSG (Force Service Support Group)
A diamond around the number meant it was a Division unit vehicle. In the M151s case 2nd Marine Division
Now the number…….
2542 on the M51A2 is 8th Engineer Support Battalion 2nd FSSG
2134 would be a grunt unit of 2nd Marine Division
2533 on the M54A2C is A Company 8th Motor Transport Battalion 2nd FSSG
These vehicles are from Camp Lejeune, NC
I was with 8th Motors in the mid to late 80s.

Now the colored squares on the bumpers likely were for staging purposes. When there was a deployment or a “float” as we called it, the parent company would “loan” both Marines and corresponding equipment to the deployment. As for the vehicles, they were crowded onto cargo ships in no particular order. When they arrived at their destination country or port, advanced party Marines (who flew over and had every vehicle endorsement on their government license) unloaded the ships. Not knowing unit numbers, the drivers would just take their red coded vehicle to the red staging area and so on, so when the Navy ships full of Marine units arrived later, they could go to the proper staging area to retrieve their equipment. Going back to Camp Lejeune after the operation, the opposite happened. There were other ways of doing this also, like a paper in the window, but color coding was easiest. Hope this helps you……..
Nice Information!!
Thanks for sharing too!

Lt.Horne

Hi Russ,
THANKS! THANKS! THANKS!
it's absolutely great informations, that what I was looking for , you have graet knowledge,
can you help with a few other numbers on M151A2
2620.jpg

3841.jpg

2002.jpg

2071.jpg

2081.jpg

2091.jpg

And other thing, stencils on sides of M151A2, wat's that mean?

15493841_1068750493248426_8562076547024747790_o.jpg

Big thank you for your time!

Joe Bertram

Good evening guys I need help decoding bumper markings on an M816 wrecker. Passenger side says "219 ASG HHC" Driver's side says " HHC 116-07" does anyone know what it all stands for? Thank you

Joe

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Good evening guys I need help decoding bumper markings on an M816 wrecker. Passenger side says "219 ASG HHC" Driver's side says " HHC 116-07" does anyone know what it all stands for? Thank you

Joe
219th Area Support Group

Indiana National guard

Headquarters/Headquarters company

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks