• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bumper mounted tire

6x6guy

I was looking through the threads and I couldn't find anything on a bumper mounted
spare, so my M109 at one time had one mounted at one time, but the decision was made to utilize to space more effectively and mount 2) 1200 amp truck batteries
and a generator in it's place within a protective housing.
Now that a few trips have been planned- the the hassle of placing a 46 inch spare
tire ( which will not fit on existing spare tire mount), was inside my M105 trailer along with my mule,and really made me reach down a pull a rabbit out of my hat.
So with a disucisson with a few good friends- also MV'er on who was going to take the dreaded spare tire with them- you never know when a spare tire will be needed.
So with too much time on my hands ( business really sucks ), as you all are aware of - decided that it was time I should have one, practical and also functional at the same time. :roll:

Attachments

Bighurt

No offense but I think the appearence needs some work.

However I think it's a great idea, functional, and utilizes parts on hand. Well thought out and developed.

I see a few points on could improve function but I like the idea, and with your permission would like to add it to my bag of tricks.

Cheers!

:driver:

6x6guy

I just put it together in a couple of hours, I painted it after I took the pictures, and still have to drill couple of more holes and redesign a couple of quirks - but the designed function and operational parameters are present and still have to be refined. :roll:

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Genius at work

That is a fantastically simple, yet totally practical design. Once painted green, who'd not think it was a 'in field' mod by an MIT conscript.
Very impressed with your thought process. :grin:

Anyway the verticle "receiver tube" would go 'inside' the bumperette?

Can't steal the idea though..... would get in the way of my wrecker hook!

txdodge43man

That's a nice and quick design I like it. I would like to recommend a improvement and I suggest this from personal experiences is add as many re enforcement gussets as you can at every angle I have seen tire racks on jeeps shake apart just from on road use and we all know how much deuce's bounce going down the road. other than that awesome job

6x6guy

Adding gussets and some additional steel was some of the things on my list, I wanted to make sure before I proceeded any further into this project that the fundamentals - such as storage,
clearance of objects ( door handle, pintel hook, ladder and pull out drawer), lifting capacity and function where all present. :roll:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The only thing I would change just for looks would be to put the bumperet mount IN the bumperet

6x6guy

I looked at all the options for mounting- such as clearance and accessibility- it was that only way to mount the pole for strength and giving it clearance to rotate and take in consideration that the body will move and shift in different directions from the frame.
But I could weld a 2nd set of bumpers on to the existing ones and somewhat extend the structure that will also hide the welded insert tube behind them, and thus giving it a more refined look. :roll:

It's a work in progress- and I'll never be satisfied - because there is always room for improvement. :cookoo:

TehTDK

I would think the angle and the way it sticks out will surely hinder pulling a trailer behind the truck. But I have a hard time seeing how you got from the horizontal to the vertical position.

camoyj7

For now John and I used a piece of pipe through the rim to get leverage on it. It's a two man job for now. One to pry on it the other to put the pin in it. We talked about using a come-along hanging from the upper right lifting shackle to do it also.

Iski

great idea.

It may be possible to have an second bar that supports the middle and hinges to the plate that mounts the tire. This could add support directly under the wheel. When you want to swing out of the way one would detach a pin from the bumper etc. So it would hold on the bumper, the door, and directly down.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks