• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bumper Storage Racks Are Done!

devilman96

Here's another idea I have had floating around my head for some time after a posting from Ryan (RMGill) several months back along with photos of another members own building on his truck.

Thread... http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index....opic&t=6845&highlight=bumper+storage+tool+box

I wanted a set of bumper pans, partly for storage and partly because they make walking the front bumper so much easier when working on the truck. Ryan's original idea was for tool boxes... Problem is, due to the angles involved and the over all dimensions to the area the boxes themselves would be outrageously expensive to produce. Being that jerry can mounts and ammo boxes are cheap and hood latches to secure them even cheaper I thought building a platform which one could add what ever one wished to add would be the way to go.

Considerations on the idea...

No ones front bumper is the same, due to tweaking, bending, bolt alignment, etc all of them are going to be a little different. Taking this into consideration I made these so they could be easily trimmed along the front edge which sits on top of the lower bummer lip. Even if a bumper is bent in 4 inches these can and will install with trimming.

Hole locations... Again due to variances in angles, bumper spacing, etc the front holes were left blind so that one could drill to the bumper as needed.

Parts are made of 11ga steel... .100 of an inch thick... They are made to support weight and abuse!

Reinforcement bends were made with water drainage in mind... Your parts will stay in the tray but water and debris will not...

I am selling these both each and by the set... Hope you guys like them!!!

http://odiron.com/store/index.php?cPath=42

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make sure you put some loops and clevises on that thing to strap stuff down to, and you'll sell out of them as fast as you make them!

devilman96

you going into the parts business is going to be the death of my checking account
Its ether going to kill yours or mine!!! I am a nervous little boy right now... Kinda scary to be dumping all of this cash!!! [thumbzup]

Make sure you put some loops and clevises on that thing to strap stuff down to, and you'll sell out of them as fast as you make them!
I will eventually find some tie downs to go with them but right now im playing catch up... Kenny gave me the idea of using the hood latches for locking down things like ammo boxes and such so they are quickly removable...

hey...(bfr gets nosy) where is your winch?
Had to pull the winch it to make the other plates over the weekend... http://odiron.com/store/index.php?cPath=4_66

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Once again, looks great Mike. A useable solution to wasted space. Let me tell you, it sucks to slip and fall down in there.

CGarbee

Gee, now I have to score the frame extensions and brackets so that I can mount my winch so I can purchase some of these pans...
They look good...

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sweet work Mike! That looks like just the thing for parts, tools, fuel, ammo, people etc... I wish I had a set when I had my deuce.

rmgill

Do .50 cal ammo cans fit in there? Why not add some cleats for fitting the ammo cans, and a metal strap/hinge/padlock fitting to go over the top of the .50 cal ammo cans? Seems like a couple of cans would store tools and parts nicely. Or chains for that matter. Some chains at least. Its not gonna handle a snatch block however. Hmm. How to put a snatch block in there. Mortar can on it's side? Hmm.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's a bunch of cool trays that are pre-made for various applications used in the HMMWV, for holding down ammo cans, weapon parts, jerry cans, night vision containers, etc. Might be a winner there too....

mangus580

Ryan, I think he is leaving the plate clean like it is, so that each person can modify it in their own way. Not everyone would want all that mounting stuff for ammo cans there... I might just leave mine empty. I only really wanted a spot to toss chains and such when I am working out in the woods. My old method of wrapping them around the bumper likes to take out headlights..... aua

Armada

My old method of wrapping them around the bumper likes to take out headlights.....
DOH!!! :shock:
That is the beauty of them, it lends itself to being customized for a specific need... or not.
Nice work Devilman.

CGarbee

Armada said:
My old method of wrapping them around the bumper likes to take out headlights.....
DOH!!! :shock:
That is the beauty of them, it lends itself to being customized for a specific need... or not.
Nice work Devilman.
Yeah, for me, perhaps a cleat or two to match my toolbox or mermite, or ammo can... More likely, some footman loops so that I can attach some straps and have greater flexibility on what I store since different trips need different stuff...

devilman96

Mike hit the nail on the head... Im not adding holes to these for mounting anything as Joe Deuce would want this... and Bob Deuce would want that. Simplicity and versatility is the key with these...

You basically have 23X24" of working room... plus several more cubic inches along the bumper edges to cram in tow straps or a chain... Pending the size of your snatch blocks (I know some of you guys carry boat anchors) most would fit into the remaining space even after mounting 4 50Cal boxes...

I like the suggestion on using HUMMER racks... most would bolt right to these and work flawlessly for ammo boxes and the likes.

A few more pics showing the sizing...

Attachments

devilman96

Are these bolt on or weld?
That is totally up to you... HOWEVER I would suggest bolting them and they are punched for the rear holes which bolt through the front fender support. The bumper side was left blind. Because the bumper detentions are so subjective between vehicles its almost impossible to put a punch out and have it work right for everyone's trucks... Better to be blank so it fits right..

I will do an install on mine here in the next day or two and photograph it all for you... drill 4 holes... install 4 bolts... pretty painless...

WWIILBird

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone know a source for these storage trays? Very practical. Looks like the OD Iron link/site isn't working and I read somewhere he's out of the business? Thanks