• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bumper unit markings

Guyfang

Staff member
I can remember 122nd here in Germany in the 70's to the early 90's?

Edit.
I take that back. It was the 123rd SPT.

Last edited:

HDN

The lettering on the bumper looks like it's on a brighter-colored background, which I think was a NATO requirement for trucks operating in different countries so they could be easily identified. I'm not sure if that's standard though since my A3 has that, but then again I don't know for sure if my truck was ever overseas.

Gunfreak25

It has no delineators however we know the bed was replaced sometime in service or after civi ownership as evidence by the solid CARC bed vs the rest of the vehicle which is old 24087 OD enamel peeling off with CARC over it. 😂

The 3rd Armored did not spend any time here in the states from what I’m gathering so this truck was likely used from the 70s into the 90s when the 3rd Armor was deactivated around the fall of communism. Chances are it partook in the Gulf War if it was nearby.

Very cool stuff, I will keep trying to find clues.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe 3rd Armored Division, 122th main support battalion, company F, order of march 70
That's what the numbers say.

3rrd Armored, 122th MSB, Foxtrot company.

BACKGROUND: VII Corps was given the mission on 19 March 1991 to begin humanitarian relief operations in sector, following their efforts during the ground war against Iraq. The 3d Armored Division was responsible for the Safwan area. Following is a summary of this highly successful three-phase Corps operation.
PHASE I

INITIAL RELIEF OPERATIONS.
The first phase included food and water distribution and emergency medical care, as well as building the infrastructure to execute this mission.

TASK ORGANIZATION, PHASE 1: Task Force (TF) 4-32 selected the location and provided security for the site. The 122d Main Support Battalion (MSB), Division Support Command (DISCOM) and the Division Surgeon's office provided daily medical assistance, supplies and equipment and administrative and technical support to reestablish the Safwan medical clinic. The 404th Civil Affairs Company provided the administrative resources for bulk food distribution, and coordination with the local population. The 22d Chemical Company assisted in the disribution of supplies at the refugee supply point (Class I, IV, and VIII).

---

PHASE II

Phase II consisted of sustainment and program enhancement. In addition to that mentioned in Phase I, TF 4-32 was also responsible for establishing and administrating local security, law enforcement, and EOD operations within the city of Safwan. The 122nd MSB was responsible for the bulk water distribution within the TRS and Safwan as well as for working with the 12th Engineers in operating the city well.

---

Gunfreak25

Great information! The truck came with a decontamination sprayer in it for chemical warfare. The bracket is bolted to the transmission cover.

So it’s safe to assume this truck was definitely used in desert storm operations? I mean the proof seems to be in the these bumper numbers.

Guyfang

Staff member
I would say its a very good bet. Have you found any MWO markers on the truck? Have you really LOOKED for data plates on the engine? The 122th was a German based unit. Rare is it a truck such as yours lived its whole life with the same engine. Most had at least one engine change in its life, if not twice. The Engine rebuild for 2.5 ton's was in K-Town. On R.O.B. barracks, (Rhine Ordnance Barracks) about 300-400 meters from my unit. They were supposed to attach a data plate to each rebuilt engine. When my thugs in Third Shop, Automotive Section did an engine change, they always took data off that plate to update the log book. Shame the log book did not come with it. But then again, log books were often considered on par with fantasy magazines. Dont bet the farm on em.

Gunfreak25

Thanks for the info Guy!! These are the only tags on the truck. The cab is 7-16-0 . The motor shows 1984. The injection pump shows 1986 at least on the FDC.

The plot thickens as I have more info on the trucks previous owners as well as original 1993 SF97 DRMO paperwork. Instead of getting two threads going I will reference my main thread here for all future replies.

Attachments

Guyfang

Staff member
Thanks for the info Guy!! These are the only tags on the truck. The cab is 7-16-0 . The motor shows 1984. The injection pump shows 1986 at least on the FDC.

The plot thickens as I have more info on the trucks previous owners as well as original 1993 SF97 DRMO paperwork. Instead of getting two threads going I will reference my main thread here for all future replies.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I would rather wash windows then change tires. And I will break a window before washing it. Changing tires was one of the ways to give a young soldier an "Attitude Adjustment", when needed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks