• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Burma Jeep, Ford GTB, G622

HQ-88

I know this thread is somewhat dated, however I just recently purchased a Burma Jeep (Bomb Carrier). The vehicle is mostly complete, no seats of tool box. I am hoping I can fabricate what is missing. If anyone has any specs, photos or manuals they are willing to share it would be much appreciated.

wmmscott

Yes. I have a dvd full of stuff. Send me your mailing address and I'll send it to you. Mine is a restoration of the hybrid bomb service truck but the cargo is almost identical

bill Scott

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DSCF1494.jpgDSCF1495.jpgDSCF1496.jpgDSCF1498.jpg This bomb carrier has been sitting in this fenced yard for decades, I've been working to try and find out who the owner is (may be an estate) I've been told. I'm no expert on Burma Jeeps, but this one looks mostly complete minus the rear fenders and other items. This was a Navy vehicle and may have been employed at the munitions base here in Hawthorne. The boom assembly looks to be in good condition, and even the cable and hook look decent. We don't get much rain in this part of the country, so most of the rust is just the surface variety.

wmmscott

I feel certain that it is a bomb service truck but can't actually tell. It has the boom but can't see the passenger step or the front winch. It does have the boom winch which is difficult to find along with the trolley winch. If you can get it, it's in much better than mine when I started. Lots of work.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I feel certain that it is a bomb service truck but can't actually tell. It has the boom but can't see the passenger step or the front winch. It does have the boom winch which is difficult to find along with the trolley winch. If you can get it, it's in much better than mine when I started. Lots of work.
Thanks for the info. There is no front winch on this truck. I will try and send some pics of the passenger side.DSCF1484.jpg

Last edited:

wmmscott

If there is no winch it is possible that it is a converted cargo truck. If the left side step is only the length of the cab it is probably a cargo truck as the gas tank won't allow the extended step. However, the good news is that this is one of the few differences and it could still be restored as a bomb service truck. Less the front winch.

R3Fab

View attachment 635414View attachment 635415View attachment 635416View attachment 635417 This bomb carrier has been sitting in this fenced yard for decades, I've been working to try and find out who the owner is (may be an estate) I've been told. I'm no expert on Burma Jeeps, but this one looks mostly complete minus the rear fenders and other items. This was a Navy vehicle and may have been employed at the munitions base here in Hawthorne. The boom assembly looks to be in good condition, and even the cable and hook look decent. We don't get much rain in this part of the country, so most of the rust is just the surface variety.
Is it STILL sitting there?
Used to be a '59 El Camino in the same yard.
I worked on tracking down the owner but someone else got the El Camino first.
No longer have the contact info, got it from the county recorder using the address as I recall.

I have seen two more in other parts of Nevada.
Suspect Hawthorne must have had a lot of them at one time.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is it STILL sitting there?
Used to be a '59 El Camino in the same yard.
I worked on tracking down the owner but someone else got the El Camino first.
No longer have the contact info, got it from the county recorder using the address as I recall.

I have seen two more in other parts of Nevada.
Suspect Hawthorne must have had a lot of them at one time.
The Burma Jeep is still there. There is an Orange/Red 59 El Camino across town in a drive way, hasn't moved in years.

Major Asstyrd

Ford GTBs will be featured at the 2022 Spring Camp Plymouth Swap Meet and MV Show in California. Biggest annual MV event in the West.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks