• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Burma Jeep, Ford GTB, G622

William_Max

I have just aquired most of a Burma Jeep, It runs although not that well. It appears that it was the Navy bomb truck version. The front end is all there including the GarWood winch and pretty much right, the bed is gone and replaced with a 1973 commercial dump truck body.

There doesnt seem to be much historical information on them anywhere. I have just gotten the TMs for it from Portrayal Press so I am good there, The manufacturers plate is missing but I do have the serial number. The November 1943 manual lists the serial numbers for the first 8,298 of them. One source says they produced 15,000 total. The serial number on mine would indicate it is from a later batch.

Does anyone have any historical information on them? I appreciate any help I can get,
Sincerely

Bill Max

William_Max

I have pictures of the Burma Jeep but am not quite computer literate to post them to Steel Soldiers, I will happily e mail them to anyone interested and if somone can post them correctly that would be great, Sincerely Bill

Burma84

Burma Information

Hi I am Clarence Morgan--Operated one in the Korean War on the USS Princeton CV-37. I am almost completely finished restoring one. They were used in WW2, and the Korean War time. There were very few made, and the original Burma jeep :grin:is a FORD.

Electrons

Hi I am Clarence Morgan--Operated one in the Korean War on the USS Princeton CV-37. I am almost completely finished restoring one. They were used in WW2, and the Korean War time. There were very few made, and the original Burma jeep :grin:is a FORD.
welcome to the board. You should post pictures of your project.

waayfast

Speaking of Burma Jeeps----does anyone know if there was a factory hard top for these?I have only seen pics of open cabbed trucks but have seen one in person that has a hard cab that looks to be factory----if it aint factory,then someone fabbed a VERY nice "bubba" top for this truck--also has a dump box with spare tire mounted on the side---I'm guessing it to be a "replacement".Any info?

FrankUSMC

I have never heard of a hard top being made for one.
I am out the door as I am typing this, so this is going to be short. The truck was made at first for the army, who did not want it at all. The navy picked it up and it was love at first sight!!! For a truck that no one wanted the navy surplused it's last ones in 1967.
I wil type more when I return.
I have 3 of the navy Mark 1 bomb trailers that were towed behind them. Some one needs to talk me out of them.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

Burma84

Burma Jeep

Speaking of Burma Jeeps----does anyone know if there was a factory hard top for these?I have only seen pics of open cabbed trucks but have seen one in person that has a hard cab that looks to be factory----if it aint factory,then someone fabbed a VERY nice "bubba" top for this truck--also has a dump box with spare tire mounted on the side---I'm guessing it to be a "replacement".Any info?
FORD GTB BURMA JEEP

You should go to this site, it will give you the history of the Burma. I operated the one with the crane, that was the bomb carrier.;-) Pictures of it as a bomb carrier are on the Olive Drab site.

Timespanr

GTB G622 Series Trucks
GTB Truck, Cargo 1.5T 4x4 Dual Rear Tires All Services (Generaic)
GTBA G622 Truck Cargo, Burma Jeep 1.5T 4x4 Dual Rear Tires USN & USMC *
GTBB G622 Truck Wrecker 1.5T 4x4 Dual Rear Tires All Service Appro 50 Built
GTBC G622 Truck, Bomb Service 1.5T 4x4 Dual Rear Rires USN & USMC
GTBS G622 Truck, Bomb Services 1.5T 4x4 Single Rear Tires All Services

* The Ford GTB G622, Truck Cargo, often Identified as the "Burma Jeep", is some what of a mistery to me. I have found GTB's., of all versions, primarily in the South Asia & South China Seas Islands, but have yet to see a picture of one in Burma. That search includes a site in Burma. Help me?
Approx 15,000 were made of all types (Together)
Things of Note: (1) Unusual profile, COE, Low, Stubbie, Passenger set facing Drive, no CC - all soft cab, front wench EU-2 Braden (type) 10,000Lbs.
(2) GTBS G622 was a 1.5T, but didnot have dual tires installed and was used by all services in bomb dumps throughout So Pacific to tow Mk-1 & Mk-2 Trailers, Bomb Trolleys
(3) GTBC & GTBS, truck, was a GTB Truck, without a Cargo Body, replaced by a flat bed deck
contructed of wood, with A Frame Crane & Hoist installed on the Deck.
(4) CC Closed cabs? I would suggest that having done some reseach here, seeing truck from the South Pacific to the Islans of Alaska, that I have never saw or heard a real suggestion of a CC Unit.
(5) GTB's were issued with cab inclosure, Canvas Tops, and Doors.
(6) GTBA G622 Truck, Cargo, were issued with canvas Cargo Body Cover, rear enclosure,
troop seats and top bows.

Power 6cyl 226cid 90hp Gas Engine
T/M 4Speed
Transfer 2Speed
Max MPH Approx 45mph (depending on wheel size)
Color Primarily Navy Ocean Gray
very limited Military OD Green

Related Items
M1 (085) Dia-T Truck, Bomb Service
M6 (G71288) Chevy Truck Bomb Service
M27 (CCKW353) GMC Truck Bomb Service w M7 A Frame & Hoist
M1 Truck, Bomb Lift, 1T, 3Wh
Mk-1 (Small) & Mk-2 (Sm-Med) Trailers, Bomb Trolleys, 2Ax x 4Wh
M1 Trailer, Chemical Warfare, Handling Services, 4T, 2Ax x 4Wh
M2 Trailer, Chemical Warfare, Handling Services, 4T, 2Ax x 4Wh
M5 Trailer, Bomb Service, (2.5T to 5T), 2Ax x 4Wh

If you dont live in your tomorrows,
If you forget about you yesterdays,
you'll live for the monment, as time is ticking away!

Comments of a retired Explosive Ordnance Disposal Supervisor (1SGT E-88)

Have a nice day

Timespanr

Last edited:

bracebldr

The only historical info i have is my grandfather who recently passed drove the general in charge of the construction of the burma trail in one of those jeeps and there is a news reel of it when that general frst opened the trail and the story goes he was such a *** that several shots were fired at him from his own side well not a help on the jeep but a interesting story i hope.

Barf

GTBS Bomb truck colours

We here at the Air Force Museum of New Zealand, have a GTBS Bomb Service Truck as a restoration project.
The Royal New Zealand Air Force operated a few in the Pacific islands, Guadalcanal, Solomans etc.
We would like to know what colour it should be? Ocean Grey or Olive Drab? It is likely that the RNZAF vehicles were 'hand me downs' from the US Marine's.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Nathan Bosher
S&STech
Restoration section
RNZAF Museum

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks