• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Burned fusible link fixed it still no power

rednckii

Truck has been working fine then went to start it and burned up this link. Replaced it and checked all my connections and glow plug card all looked good. Went to start and did same thing replaced the gp relay, did dog head mod, and also replaced the gen 2 relay now truck has now power in cab at all and still blows fuse any i ideas Im stumped

rednckii

Won't let me upload pic on my iPad can't figure it out. The link I burned up is the one that connects to the black resistor next to gp solenoid on firewall. The wire goes into harness leading into fuse box any ideas all other links look good going to test them to this a new one to me though.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have a direct short somewhere. That link supplies 12v power to the entire truck.

rednckii

That's what I was thinking have power in accessories soon as I turn it to run it burns out cleaned all connections including fuse block at firewall. I'm burnt out now so gonna leave it be till tomorrow after work then going to go through all wire looms under hood then in cab looking for burnt wires. Gm72k10 thanks for the heads up on the column I'll look into that wish me luck gonna need it electrical gremlins always get me. I'll keep ya posted what I fine hard to believe good to go one day dead in water the next oh well.

rednckii

Have the whole harness tore apart haven't seen anything need to take dash apart and see if anything is up there. Also was replacing the glow plugs thinking maybe they were part of problem there were a few bad ones. Worse part is now I have a truck that has no electric power and a broken glow plug in the motor. Anyone wanna come help what's best way to get that out have very little sticking out to grab ahold of. Gonna put a pair of vice grips on it for now then when get it runnin hopefullye the compression from motor will blow it out. Oh well when it rains it pours.

rednckii

Still haven't found the short. Have replaced all the glow plugs took out the injector and used a set of curved needle nose to get broke piece out. Have not found any burnt or bare wires yet the fusible link at junction box next to glow plug relay has been fixed also one at passenger side alternator. Other than those two spots have not found anything. Anyone have any ideas where to look or diagnose maybe bar relay or solenoid somewhere. Running out of places to look at having a guy look at it tomorrow but he is new to cucvs.

rednckii

All fuse able links are good gonna try swapping out the ignition switch since haven't found any burnt wires or hot spots. Anyone have any ideas.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you pulled your fuse box apart yet?

rednckii

No accessories all stock bars look fine trying to get any ideas I can where I have it is closed till Wednesday so getting a game plan until then.

rednckii

After numerous cuss words and no more hair on my head i have found the problem. Don't ask me how or why but the brand new fuel shut off solenoid I installed when purchased truck was somehow grounding itself out. Replaced it with the old one and everything works fine new one is on order hope it helps someone.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's one of the last things I would have thought it would be.

Great you found it.

rednckii

So everything been good last couple of days then today went to go to lunch and bam popped the fuse. Gonna put new solenoid on and double check wires anyone ha e any other ideas. Is the injection pump supposed to be grounded or just off of the blood k someone save me what hair I have left.

rednckii

Alright newest update installed new shutoff solenoid and truck started great no problems ...yet! Drove to shop shut off went to drop off buddy came back still no problem. Went to leave and pop blew fuse. Looked over everything no burnt wires nothing. Tried to run a hot directly to solenoid just to get home and it was sparking. So my questions is how is it grounding itself out and how do I fix it. This problem is almost to the point of me passing it on to a new owner I'm sick of it. If I can't figure this out soon it either gone or turning to a gasser. Solenoid still clicks when power put to it just blows fuse constantly. Gonna go back during day and trace that circuit but what the heck any idieas.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks