• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Burned fusible link fixed it still no power

kabar1

WhAt kind of condition is the pink wire in from start to finish, and the connection? I know 2002ford has a bad motor that he probably could help you out with a used one? Sure it's the right solenoid also? There's 3 or 4 different injection pumps from 24v to 12v I do believe TMs aren't very specific on trouble shooting the solenoid from what I could find. I would think the wire is bad if anything. Hopefully!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try adding a good sized wire beteewn your front battery negative terminal and the motor (ground). You could use a regular automotive jumper cable.

Then, see if you still have the problem.

I'm wondering if your engine is not grounded well, and your backfeeding into one of the items on the engine(that grounds directly to the block).

Is your glowplug relay still supplied with the stock 24volts through the resistors?

Last edited:

rednckii

Resistors are gone wire looks good from what I can see going to ground out motor tonight and trace all the wires. Checked the voltage at solenoid getting 11.50 to 12 when key is on then bumps up a little after glow plug cycles. Thinking your right about motor will check this afternoon after work. Thanks for the help hopefully I'll get it fixed I'll keep u all up to date.

PETE BALLARD

Have the whole harness tore apart haven't seen anything need to take dash apart and see if anything is up there. Also was replacing the glow plugs thinking maybe they were part of problem there were a few bad ones. Worse part is now I have a truck that has no electric power and a broken glow plug in the motor. Anyone wanna come help what's best way to get that out have very little sticking out to grab ahold of. Gonna put a pair of vice grips on it for now then when get it runnin hopefullye the compression from motor will blow it out. Oh well when it rains it pours.
How did you do getting the broken glowplug out? did you let the compression blow it out? did you work it back and forth when the engine was running? at an idle or higher rpm?

pete

rednckii

Went through the whole harness again and got highly agitated. Still found nothing wrong so I put in a new fuse and tried it again noticed a small puff of smoke on top of the IP. Took it apart and noticed that the stud for the solenoid had a burn mark on it. Put a small piece of rubber hose there between the nut and the cover put it all together and viola she runs. So I guess the solenoid was grounding itself out so just a heads up for the next guy. Thanks for all the help.

scottladdy

Went through the whole harness again and got highly agitated. Still found nothing wrong so I put in a new fuse and tried it again noticed a small puff of smoke on top of the IP. Took it apart and noticed that the stud for the solenoid had a burn mark on it. Put a small piece of rubber hose there between the nut and the cover put it all together and viola she runs. So I guess the solenoid was grounding itself out so just a heads up for the next guy. Thanks for all the help.
Happy it appears you found the issue. Not too comforting to know that you had some arcing going on near the fuel delivery system.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad you found it. Good job. [thumbzup]

The TM 9-2320-289-34, Chapter 3-38 has a diagram of the cover. Item #21 is the rubber washers to insulate the solenoid.

IP.jpg

scottladdy

Can't stress enough how much I despise electrical oh well she back up and running thanks for all the help.
Seems to me you did just fine in finding a challenging fault. And, on top of that, you provided some assistance to the next one of us running into this issue. Nice work!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks