• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

burnt out block heaters

nighttrain2006

Ok i have a m1009. When i got it about two years ago i put a freeze plug block heater in it KATZ, It worked for about a year and burnt out? Put a new one in and it only lasted for about 3 months. it would just pop the braker to the outlet. so i figured i wasnt installing them right (grounding out agaisnt the block or something). SO i put in a hose heater in and it burnt out the second time i used it. All heaters were katz. I thought that it was the outlet, however i run all type of high demand tools off of the same outlet and extension cord. I have tryed differnet cords, outlets, and differnt houses outlets, have checked the ohms and the heaters are dead. The extension cord i use is very heavy duty and only about 8ft long and in working order. does anyone know why this is happening?

heater are unplug everytime before starting

73X

What size heater are you using? If you are running too large of a heater it can boil the water around it and run too hot.
Also is there any possibility of air in your system or low coolant level? That can also burn them out after you park and shut down as the element can become partially or totally exposed.

nighttrain2006

Im using the recammended size by Katz and my buddies use the same ones with no problems. My overflow tank is always empty but radiator is always full. Actually im fighting with the truck right now with starting problems, and a air leak is a very good possiblity

jatonka

The common reason for burning out coolant heaters is leaving them plugged in when you start the engine. as the engine starts, the coolant begins to circulate and causes turbulence in the passages, believe it or not, there can and are voids in the flow of coolant , like air pockets , this will overheat the element and then it's junk. Learned the hard way on Cummins 230 hp long time ago. Then on Ford 655 backhoe a while later. I always unplug now just before I start the motor. JT

ABN173

Also what else is on that circuit breaker? For example my carport is right outside my kitchen so the plug for the carport is on the same breaker as some of the kitchen plugs so if I had a 1000w block heater going as well as the coffee pot and say the toaster then well yeah the breaker is going to trip.

Also if your using a drop cord the gauge may not be low enough to support your block heater

or the drop cord could have a short in it, the outlet plug itself may have a short or bad wiring, I had a home that was built in the late 70's and the type of wiring used would expand and contract causing the plastic insulation to crack and cause issues too

Not saying any of these are the issue but I'm willing to bet that's it.

jatonka

I do plug them all in right after I shut down for the night. Park rig, idle couple minutes, shut down, gather coffee cup, thermos, cigars, cell phone, garbage from the trip, climb out, fall down, plug in heater, go home.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you plugging it into a GFCI protected circuit? I've got a GFCI outlet at my barn. I have had block heaters that would trip a GFCI outlet as soon as you plug it up.

derby

You can ohm out the heater and that will tell you the condition before you pull it out. Ask the parts store if they know the resistance. a 1000w heater will pull 8 to 9 amps depending on your voltage. you should also check the voltage at the outlet you are pluging it in to, high voltage could be the culprit.

tjmilitary

Hey guys I think he said that all of his electrical was in working order and the cord was a heavy cord. The problem is that they keep burning out. Why is that? Anyone know?

derby

Midnight, straight anti freeze does not transfer heat as well as diluded, that may be the reason for the warning. distilled water is a very good idea ,it helps to eliminate scale build up in the engine cooling passages.

Midnight Rider

Hey guys I think he said that all of his electrical was in working order and the cord was a heavy cord. The problem is that they keep burning out. Why is that? Anyone know?
That's why I included that link in my post. Perhaps one of the reasons he keeps burning out the heaters is in there.

Midnight, straight anti freeze does not transfer heat as well as diluded, that may be the reason for the warning. distilled water is a very good idea ,it helps to eliminate scale build up in the engine cooling passages.
Well I had just got mine today and wanted to make sure I knew as much as I could about it before I installed it.

Midnight Rider

Silly Me, all I saw was "shooting tips" in the end of your link :oops:
I was completely confused by your post until I went back and looked at mine. :-D Guess I should have posted that a little better.

Hey midnight never thought I would ever see anyone from sesser. Had some family down there.
Not too often I hear of someone even knowing of the area. Most people assume it's some place up by Chicago. What's your family's name?

joesco

Agree with John, the most common cause is having it plugged in when starting. These are very reliable units and I have used them for years in my tractors and diesel vehicles. Also how long of distance from your truck to the ac outlet?

kenny

I must be lucky. I have never had one or used one, The truck just starts no mater what. Last week it was 16 here and it fired right up like always . The only thing I saw was that the glow plugs cycled 4 or 5 times after it started compaired to once or twice.

jwaller

I must be lucky. I have never had one or used one, The truck just starts no mater what. Last week it was 16 here and it fired right up like always . The only thing I saw was that the glow plugs cycled 4 or 5 times after it started compaired to once or twice.

mine starts great weather or not it's plugged in too BUT, It sounds like a can or marbles being shook to death and it's frigid cold. I'd have to wait 10-15 min of idle time for it to warm up before I could start my drive.

But if it's plugged in, I can jump in and go like it was a summer day.