• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

burnt valve

blzrgb

Hello. One of my 1008's has picked up a slight burnt valve sound out the drivers side pipe. It runs fine but it smokes out that same side when you start it. Doesn't smoke at all going down the road. The startup smoke could be valve guides and seals but whats the best way to check for a burnt valve other than pull the head or hold a dollar bill at the pipe? Are the 6.2's known to burn valves ? The pump and injectors are stock. thanks.

jimm1009

You could also have the problem that I have which is bad rings in that cylinder.

You can trouble shoot it by doing a compression check. Run it up on TDC for the cyclinders on that side one at a time and listen to exhause and instake to see if air is escaping there.
If you have air coming into the breather or out the oil filler tube then it is rings.
I had my heads done by a shop where they slightly ground the heads to true thenm up. they boiled them out and also did tow new valves that were burned, new valve seals, all others were ground and lapped but it was $900.00 for both heads but I knew that I was good for at least 150,000 miles with "like new" heads.
You need a differential compression checking tool for the above described procedure. I purchased my own and do it once a year for piece of mind (only drive it about 10,000 miles per year).

jimm1009

HAWKMAN

A burnt valve is a perminently damaged engine component, it wouldn't 'clear up' as the engine ran and warmed up.If the
valve was partly melted(burned) it wouldn't seal and compression would leak through depending on what valve it was you
would hear popping through either the intake or out the exhaust. I would go with the compression check and it is very
possible that you you need to replace the valve seals. This is just my opinion....

blzrgb

Thanks. I've got a new set of injectors for it that i haven't yet had time to swap. Could the"burnt valve" sound i here at idle be caused by an injector gone bad ? It has a
dead-miss feel to it when it's first cranked up in the morning and still cold.

jimm1009

You can also test your injectors to some extent by running it slightly above idel and cracking the injector nut one at a time (2 person project).
If you are running a little rought then the nut that is cracked that does not produce a mis-firing cylinder is the one that has a bad injector.
If is a good thing to replace them all at the same time if you can as they do wear and do need an overhaul from time to time so a new or newly overhauled set of eight is worth piece of mind if you can afford the expense.
In my opinion if air is coming our the breather or oil filler then it is more likely rings not seating. A burned valve will leak out the intake manifold or the exhaust manifold / tail pipe due to the path of least resistance.
My 1.7 cents worth.
jimm1009