• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

buy from dealer or owner?

randini

I am looking to purchase a Deuce. I plan on using this as much as possible for fun, and at least monthly for ranch work (hauling water, etc) 120 miles away. So, I plan on driving this frequently. I live in Salt Lake, Utah and there is a local dealer. I have also talked to some other dealers around the west. The local dealer said they look the truck over, while not gaurenteing the truck, they will stand behind their trucks they sell. Is there any difference between buying from a dealer or a private owner? Prices seem to be a little higher from a dealer, but if I can feel more secure, it worth it. Your thought?
Thanks

whyme

are you mechanicly savy? if there is no kind of waranty from the dealer than i see little point. my understanding of these trucks is that they are old and require good maintenance to stay reliable, if you are able and willing to do that then the private party would be a better choice, if not then maybe this isnt the right truck to begin with.

i would suggest finding a truck for private sale and looking it over yourself or having someone qualified do it for you. honestly if a dealer is "looking it over" they are just looking for the obvious (leaks, obvious mechanical issues, fluid levals, breaks, ect) all of which is relitivly easy to do yourself and none of which addresses the major hidden issues (they arnt pulling the engine nor trany or axles.)

and in the end neither are offering any assurance that the truck is gonna last past purchase anyway. seems the answer is clear.

randini

I am a good shade-tree mechanic on cars. I am looking forwward to something where there is room to work. But I dont know what to look for in these big trucks. Having someone look them over is worth quite a bit and they seem honest, but it seem the dealers want a lot more. The dealer here in Utah is quoting over 8k. Maybe they are worth it....I dont know
Thanks

whyme

no way, for that kinda cash they had better have replaced all the seals, changed all the fluids, new tires ( or like new), no rust, and the truck had better have options.

youd be better off buying one off a private party and if it blows up youd have enof cash left to buy another. unless you just gotta have one now and dont wanna deal with shipping ect.

honestly id ask what they did for that truck and remember they are in it for a profit. i see trucks going 2,000 to 7,500 but those on the high end are in great shape with options or restoration. if it has a new engine, transfer case and/or rebuilt axles maybe, even then no guaranty its gonna last.

Coal Cracker

If you're a shade tree mechanic, don't be intimitated by the size, look for all of the same you'd look for in a car, leaks, front end wear, tires, how the brakes feel, etc.

8k is ridiculous, whyme stated correct, they'd better have gone through it with a fine toothy comb, plus for that coin a WARRANTY.

I went the GL route, did a preview, and got lucky, you can have a nice deuce and be in the 3k category.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Private sale would be best, titled already. GL next. Dealers will always be high and unless they go through the truck...Dave at Eastern Surplus does this, I have had up close and personal experiences with his stuff and it is good...you will have the same issues as if you got it from a private party or GL, maybe more 'cause they don't drive them, they only buy to re sell.

markmontana

I think any way that get's you the truck you want- dealer, private or GL. Make a list of 'must haves' for your new truck- then go out and see who has one close to your list. Be flexible, but if you see something you like- who cares about a little money. You can always go back to work and make the money. These trucks are just a replacement for money...:D

Parker2

8 grand is crazy. For that kind of money I would want all the leaks fixed and a paint job, etc.
You can find a good truck for a lot less money.
These trucks are 40 plus years old so you should expect to work on it.

Armada

while not gaurenteing the truck, they will stand behind their trucks they sell.
What does that mean? After you buy it they will stand in the lot behind the truck as you drive it off the lot?

If you work on cars you will be ok working on a deuce. Parts are just bigger and heavier so you will need bigger tools. No computers on them either which simplifies things. Get yourself a complete set of manuals. That is a must.

As far as buying from a dealer or an individual, it comes down to integrity. Well, and money too. But there are dealers that will completely inspect the truck, pm it, and repair anything that needs repairing, whereas an individual may not go to that extent and is just trying to unload it. That said, it could go the other way too. I know individuals that will have truck in tip top condition before putting it up for sale and dealers that are only concerned about cosmetics.
Best bet is to know the source you're buying from before you buy. Talk to past customers, ask questions, etc. Also, bring someone with you when going to look at a truck that is knowledgable and very familiar with them. They will know what to look for.

There are many deuces out there so take your time and don't rush into one. Good luck.
And remember, the guys here on SS can answer any question you might have.
Some have probably bought from and know the dealers you are looking at.

markmontana

while not guaranteeing the truck, they will stand behind their trucks they sell.
You remember the motto of a big car dealer there in SLC- 'We back up every car we sell". I always thought "so what- does that mean you back them off the car hauler...and then sell them???"

They either have a written warranty or give you something in writing. Otherwise it's just a fart....

Blythewoodjoe

There are many deuces out there so take your time and don't rush into one. Good luck.
And remember, the guys here on SS can answer any question you might have.
Some have probably bought from and know the dealers you are looking at.
Very good point. Here's a few thoughts.

I bought my first truck from a dealer because I didn't know any better. They said I could pick one out of the yard and check everything for me. Each one will call what they do something different. Anyway, I paid for it, drove it off the lot, with no brakes. I also didn't know you had to switch the brake lights on. I didn't have brakes until I rebuild the booster. I liked the truck and it ended up being a good truck but I paid dealer prices for it.

I have bought two trucks from GL for well under half of what I paid for the first truck. Both where good trucks that I didn't have to repair anything major on. That was luck. I discourage buying at auction unless you know what you are doing.

In my opinion, buying from a decent individual is going to be your best purchase for the money. Deuces are a dime a dozen right now. I know some guys are going to flame me on this, but they are. Think about it, you can buy one here in the south for under $2000 strait from the government and most of the time they are ready to drive. I see them on ebay all day for under $3000. Be patient, ask lots of questions, read up on here how they work and find someone near you that has one for sale. If you like to gamble, go preview some trucks at GL. Just know that you will have to fill out a EUC, which will take forever to clear, and pay for a title (SF97). If you get it from an individual remember, he probably had to do all that.

I'll say one more thing that will irritate some people. Don't let the classifieds on here influence you too much. I see a lot of trucks in there that are just overpriced.

Joe

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I bought my first deuce from a private seller. I had no deuce experience, although I was an experienced wrench turner with many years of experience in the muscle car hobby.

I got to go look at the truck, drive it and talk to an experienced owner about the vehicle. Luckily the person I dealt with was extremely honest and not a "used car salesman". I also got a tidy title handed to me, making registration much easier.

I have bought deuces from GL since then, but only because I already have a good deuce and a towbar. If it's a piece of junk with a blown engine, I will towbar it home. And you won't know what it is until you get to it and start trying to prep it for the drive home.

Now, if you buy it from a private owner, you can expect to pay more. How much more is a more difficult question to answer. The person who bought it from GL took all the risk of it being a junker. They got it home and theoretically, fixed whatever was necessary so that you could test drive it.

Now, if you are going to pay private owner prices, I'd expect something to have been done to it. All the trucks clintogf have sold have been serviced with fresh oil changes and all the filters swapped, the entire truck was greased, all the driveline bolts checked for tightness, brakes adjusted, all fluid levels checked, etc. Clean Ga. titles, etc. Basically a ready to run truck.

Nothing wrong with paying a retail price (I've done it) but make sure you are getting retail product for the price.

Stan Leschert

while not gaurenteing the truck, they will stand behind their trucks they sell.
That is because they know the condition of the brakes!

Seriously, Eastern , Idaho Motor Pool, and Boyce have a pretty fair reputation, and the experienc to back it.

If you have a local buddy who knows these trucks, to help you, gamble on GL. Make sure that you preview it.

The other alternative is to buy from one of the more reputable persons on this site. You can do your own research, and when someone here offers you a truck, just do a search. You will usually find a write up of all of the things that they have done to it. After that, form your own conclusions.

Good Luck, and keep us posted with your results.

BTW, make sure to download the Technical Manuals from this site and read them before doing anything!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks