• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Buyer's checklist and questions...

JEB

Hi
I'm a new member. I was thinking of adding a HMMWV to my small collection. I'm retired military, so I have a soft spot for them, and I'd like something different.
I used a V-8 bone stock CJ-5 for seven years as my daily driver, so I know I'm not getting Mercedes-like ride, comfort or mileage.
I'm not terribly mechanically inclined and to be honest, after browsing this forum you've almost talked me out of buying one!
I'm looking for something dependable.
If I get one, I would use it to take to shows and the occasional parade. I won't be doing any hardcore off-roading. I live in the country, and having one would take the worry out of winter driving.
(When my wife was a nurse she was driven home from work following a blizzard in a MD NG HMMWV, she said the driver was having the time of his life looking for drifts to smash).
Also, an old high school friend is now a retired Army general, I'd like to show-up his 4 door Wrangler...:)

A well-known military equipment dealer (in the next state over) has several for sale. They appear to be reconditioned. The one I'm looking at is listed as a M998 1985 4 door soft top.. It has the (presumably NA) 6.5, AT, PS, PB. It's tan, though I don't know if it's the chemical resistant paint. the odometer reads 188 miles...his website doesn't say if that is since an engine...or odometer...change.:)

Some questions:
-For my purposes (and keeping in mind my preference for dependability) is the 6.5 with a (presumably) three speed be the way to go?
-Do I need a Turbo, likewise, do I need the upgraded four speed 4L80E? The dealer has a slantback listed with "automatic with park and overdrive"...again is that something I would want/need?
-Until I looked here, I never knew about the GEP engine. Is it worth the upgrade? (I'm guessing that the '85 wouldn't have one unless it was overhauled just before being sold).

With his supply of spares, I believe the dealer would equip a unit to my specifications...at extra cost of course.

Does anyone have a HMMWV-specific checklist of things to look for (condition of certain components, location of Army rebuild tags, etc.) or questions to ask when looking at one?

A friend is a retired GM dealer service manager, his former staff likes the 6.5 saying they're a good engine and parts are easily available. I don't know about the transmission and transfer cases. One of his friends has a small independent shop, another does nights and weekend work from home, so I have someone to service it.

So there it is.
If I'm told you're crazy to get one without a well stocked motor pool and the thing is a danger to life, limb and sanity, I'll buy a M38A1 and put my HMMWV ownership plans alongside my dreams of owning a Bell 47/H-13 helicopter...which I can fly, just not maintain.

Thanks, John

Last edited:

papakb

Alex is a good guy and will get you a good one. The HMMWV is a vehicle that needs looking after but remember that the questions being asked here on the SS site are from fairly new owners for the most part and the answers are from experienced members who have years of experience working on them. With very few exceptions they are still military vehicles and that means for the most part they're relatively simple in design as opposed to today's civilian overly complex nightmares. The services do PCMS for a reason.

The engines are standard GM diesels and the trannies are either TH400s (that the drag racers like) or 4L80s so there are no surprises there.
99% of the vehicle can be maintained by any good mechanic but to the untrained 1) it's military and 2) it's big and green (
like the Hulk) and it scares them. :beer:

Download and read the manuals! 90% of what your going to see is already in there in language written for a 19 year old troop. The troubleshooting guides are easy to follow unless your just too lazy to read them. That's why RTFM seems to show up here often! :-D

Last edited:

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you don't need a top speed above 55ish, the 3spd is fine.

The 4L80 brings with it a large premium in cost.

That said, if you *do* need a top speed above 55 or so, it's better to start off with the 4spd rather than try to add it later.

6.2 vs 6.5. They're all gutless turds. Before paying a premium for a 6.5 I'd consider a Cummins swap. At the same price point however a later 6.5 is to be preferred over the 6.2.

Mine is a garden variety 2dr 6.2 3spd. Everything works and I'm completely happy with it. I drove it from KS to GA and back recently.

tage

Down load a pmcs list. Go over the truck.
Ask if it's carc or been repainted with something else.

Check wmo tags, and look at the block to confirm it's a gep. They demand a premium, but I personally don't see the extra cost. Do some research on Google.

riderdan

I've only owned my truck for about a year and a half, but my $0.02:

If you're looking at a used HMMWV, look at it much like you would any other older vehicle. Are there fluid leaks, obvious corrosion anywhere, does it start and run like a diesel should? Do all the lights and gauges work. Is there anything that is in poor condition that you'll need to replace soon... for example, if the top/doors are in really poor condition you might want to factor in the cost of replacements when you consider what the truck is worth to you. As tage said, the engine a GEP? Do the wipers work... think of looking at a HMMWV like looking at a mid-70s used car and you're on the right track.

These trucks are really not difficult to work on, if you can turn a wrench and follow the (not necessarily intuitive) TMs. Parts are pretty readily available and not wildly overpriced at the moment.

Good luck!

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi
I'm a new member. I was thinking of adding a HMMWV to my small collection. I'm retired military, so I have a soft spot for them, and I'd like something different.
I used a V-8 bone stock CJ-5 for seven years as my daily driver, so I know I'm not getting Mercedes-like ride, comfort or mileage.
I'm not terribly mechanically inclined and to be honest, after browsing this forum you've almost talked me out of buying one!
I'm looking for something dependable.
If I get one, I would use it to take to shows and the occasional parade. I won't be doing any hardcore off-roading. I live in the country, and having one would take the worry out of winter driving.
(When my wife was a nurse she was driven home from work following a blizzard in a MD NG HMMWV, she said the driver was having the time of his life looking for drifts to smash).
Also, an old high school friend is now a retired Army general, I'd like to show-up his 4 door Wrangler...:)

A well-known military equipment dealer (in the next state over) has several for sale. They appear to be reconditioned. The one I'm looking at is listed as a M998 1985 4 door soft top.. It has the (presumably NA) 6.5, AT, PS, PB. It's tan, though I don't know if it's the chemical resistant paint. the odometer reads 188 miles...his website doesn't say if that is since an engine...or odometer...change.:)

Some questions:
-For my purposes (and keeping in mind my preference for dependability) is the 6.5 with a (presumably) three speed be the way to go?
-Do I need a Turbo, likewise, do I need the upgraded four speed 4L80E? The dealer has a slantback listed with "automatic with park and overdrive"...again is that something I would want/need?
-Until I looked here, I never knew about the GEP engine. Is it worth the upgrade? (I'm guessing that the '85 wouldn't have one unless it was overhauled just before being sold).

With his supply of spares, I believe the dealer would equip a unit to my specifications...at extra cost of course.

Does anyone have a HMMWV-specific checklist of things to look for (condition of certain components, location of Army rebuild tags, etc.) or questions to ask when looking at one?

A friend is a retired GM dealer service manager, his former staff likes the 6.5 saying they're a good engine and parts are easily available. I don't know about the transmission and transfer cases. One of his friends has a small independent shop, another does nights and weekend work from home, so I have someone to service it.

So there it is.
If I'm told you're crazy to get one without a well stocked motor pool and the thing is a danger to life, limb and sanity, I'll buy a M38A1 and put my HMMWV ownership plans alongside my dreams of owning a Bell 47/H-13 helicopter...which I can fly, just not maintain.

Thanks, John

John, feel free to reach out and call our shop...

Gear Report

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks