• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Buying a Bobbed 5 ton questions

Blazer1987

Hi, im looking for a nice bobbed 5 ton. Ive found two so far I cant decide between the two. Need everyones thoughts. The first on im looking at is a 1991 m931a2. It has the 8.3 turbo and CTIS,but its disconnected from one of the wheels. The truck has dual tanks and one is full of old crappy fuel and needs to be cleaned out. The tires are questionable. The fuel gauges dont work,and the temp gauge is inop. It has 26,000 miles and wants 9500.00$. The other truck im looking at is a 1983 AM General m925a1 or a2 not sure. The engine is the NHC 250 cummins with no turbo. The truck only has 6000 miles. No CTIS, which I kinda want, but it has a 20,000 pound winch instead. It also has a hard top. The tires are newer and it has a spare they are asking 9500.00$ for this one too.... I dont know which way to go. 6CTA or NHC 250. Which engine is better? And I think I would rather have the winch instead of the CTIS. I like the hardtop better. Anybody have any thoughts or info it would be great?.Thank you.

tbar123

The only thing I can tell you is that a truck without turbo (like mine) is very slow, exceptionally slow up any kind of grade without 2 mile run at it.But I do like the NHC 250 motor. It does produce everything that I want out of it. Although I must mention, I bought a MV not a muscle car so slow to me is good! Also if the second one is a 83' model it's truly not an A1 or A2 .

Blazer1987

Im noticing more issues with the two trucks im looking at. The 1984 AM General has a different steering setup? Steering box it looks like in the pictures? And the m925 has been bobbed and its correct I think, they used front 5 ton springs and perches. The 1991 BMY is bobbed but its different. The springs look smaller and the u bolts are facing up instead of down. The perches or mounts have 5 bolts holding them on? Is this a bad setup? Does anyone know where or what those springs are out of? It looks good, just different than ive seen. It looks like about the same number of springs but they might be smaller in width? I cant tell in the pics. The m931 also has custom traction bars which I like, im just not sure whats up with the springs? Any info would be great. Thank you

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I wanted a bobbed truck (I dont), I'd cherry pick a good truck that isn't bobbed and then have someone whose work I trust do it.... at that point it's a known quantity with no worries.

Somewhat rhetorical question - what advantage does a bobbed truck have over a 931/932 with a cut down bed?

Blazer1987

I dont think there is any advantages. I had a m923a2 and it was just to long. I know im crazy but im looking for a bobbed truck its gonna be a daily driver. Just looking for a shorter truck, easier turning and stuff. I was forced to sell my other truck because it was too big for my neighborhood. So im gonna try a shorter one, not camo colored. And see if I can get away with antique plates on it.

Blazer1987

Probability zero. If they don't like them with 3 axles, they won't like them any better with just two..

Maybe find alternate parking arrangements.
It may have been the camo paint too. And my other truck had to be commercial plates becase of the three axles. I was hoping to get by with regular plates or antique plates. I dont know what to do. I might rent a shop somewhere but then I need another vehicle to get to it. I want the truck in my driveway. I was thinking about talking to the neighbors to see if they actually did complain or if it was just my grandma being a bitch and making me get rid of it. Which is a possibility. Its her house, but she lives in florida and doesnt have to see it. I had the truck in the yard for months and e everything was fine,until she came down on vacation and flipped out.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
or if it was just my grandma being a bitch and making me get rid of it. Which is a possibility. Its her house, but she lives in florida and doesnt have to see it. I had the truck in the yard for months and e everything was fine,until she came down on vacation and flipped out.
I know it's a lost art, but maybe a little respect for your elders will get you what you seek...

tbar123

I think the best thing you could do is to call your Grandmother that is being very nice of her to let you live in her house and speak with her about you purchasing an MV and parking it there. Next if that doesn't work then you need to fend for yourself and rent/buy a home of your own. I will also say that it really isn't a good idea to down talk you Gma on here. There a re plenty of people that will help you through any situation except when you call a person whose letting you live in their house a bitch. Not very good.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the best thing you could do is to call your Grandmother that is being very nice of her to let you live in her house and speak with her about you purchasing an MV and parking it there. Next if that doesn't work then you need to fend for yourself and rent/buy a home of your own. I will also say that it really isn't a good idea to down talk you Gma on here. There a re plenty of people that will help you through any situation except when you call a person whose letting you live in their house a bitch. Not very good.
Spot on Tbar, Mothers and Grandmothers are the reason we are here (on earth). Don't be a dumb.

tbar123

Blazer, Just wondering how things are going with your purchase. I hope that you have thought about things and contacted your Gma directly and asked her, her thoughts on your purchase.If you had "politely" asked all your neighbors their thoughts about you purchasing a collectible vehicle? Let us know. I do wish you luck!

JohnnyBM931A2

Blazer, Just wondering how things are going with your purchase. I hope that you have thought about things and contacted your Gma directly and asked her, her thoughts on your purchase.If you had "politely" asked all your neighbors their thoughts about you purchasing a collectible vehicle? Let us know. I do wish you luck!
lol.. In my case, I never did the "talk to your neighbor" thing. I just drove it home one day, and parked it in the drive way. You can imagine their reactions :D

My neighbors have actually been pretty supportive. In fact, I've had visits from 2 neighbors that I haven't talked to in 10 years (not to mention various random people that stop by and look at it/talk to me.) Not sure if others on here had a similar experience. I though it was nice though.

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yup, about the same here. Couple neighbors went from ignore to talk to.

One even realize I'm not the one that's been calling the cops on him for the last 5 years. :roll:

tbar123

I did the same thing Johnny did, but found myself in a mess of **** with the village and at least 2 neighbors. But was lucky when it came to the BZA.