• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

buying a deuce

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
so can I get this thing running and safely driving for $2000 can brake parts be had from Napa ETC.
Just the wheel cylinders from napa the rest of the brake parts surplus dealers . This will give you a idea what the parts stores can get Deuce Parts Quick Reference Spreadsheet .

And just a heads up the site expects you to capitalize and use punctuation . It makes reading post easier.

Edit; since it is a fuel system problem read this entire thread More engine problems (Documentation of testing fuel system, failure of Hyd Head) .

Last edited:

Nationwide 63s

You can also source parts just by searching "M35A2 parts" on the net. Some places are half the price of others, some have more selection, some have custom fab available by request. A few are within a couple hundred mile radius from you as well. There usually is not a one-stop shop for everything at the best price, it's good to shop around. The surplus MV parts network is pretty tight, build bridges.....

lucasbrackins

Thanks for the links porkysplace, I think ill be ok on the no fuel issue considering I have a good buddy that works at MBS diesel of knoxville building engines as well as an uncle having worked on bucket trucks for 40+ years, or are these diesels completely different animals? After reading through a few pages of More engine problems (Documentation of testing fuel system, failure of Hyd Head) this will help a lot in diagnosing the problem myself. As far as parts go I can get them cheap because I have another uncle that works at Federated Auto Parts. So with this info out there do yall think it is worth $1575 for this truck WITH A TITLE and I wont be shooting myself in the foot

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
As stated above you are close to scrap price but that would be with the bed on it. The botom line is you are buying an old vehicle that has been through the mill. If it came from a fire department chances are they got it through the forestry service who got it from the army. It went through a lot of hands that may or may not have known what they were doing when working on it. It spent a lot of time sitting idle which is bad on all systems and seals. Ya pays your money and takes your chances.

lucasbrackins

Yall own these vehicles, should i buy it or steer clear. I know its going to need some work and I AM NOT afraid to get greasy and dirty but at the same time I don't wana have to spend what i paid for it to be able to drive it

Nationwide 63s

Guaranteed, you will spend more than you paid for it to get it on the road.....safely. Worth spending that much to get it going........to me, yes. I am a Vet, I saw these trucks leave the Army. I'm also a gear head. I'm doomed.......you might have a chance to walk away, most of us do not.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you can get a clear title I say buy it. Looks good on little rust and good sheet metal. Has what looks to be good hard top. Looks like it might need if you need a Pintle hook. The injection system worse case is the Hyd. Head replacement and you can find the Head for about $300.00. Down side might be 10 new and different tires. 6 if you bob. Buy it bob and haul your toys.

Last edited:

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the title was fixed, I would buy it. I suspect it may be a late 80's Air Force deuce with dual brake systems, which is very desirable, and except for the white paint, looks to be in very good shape with little rust. If you can't find a deuce bed, you can use a M105 trailer bed and sell one rear axle to the mud truckers. Good complete deuces with hard tops and dual brake systems are now selling for $4500+.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Earlier deuces have a single circuit brake system, the last m35a2s made for the air force had dual circuit brakes. Some have the exhaust stack cut flat at the top with a flapper which is what Nationwide 63s is referencing.

lucasbrackins

Looks like everyone says buy it if he can get a title so i will send him $100 this am for the title and so he knows im going to buy it. The only thing that worries me is that its 4 hrs away and ill be buying it based off the pics... And hauling it home

lucasbrackins

Told him today I wanted it and sent him a $100 deposit to cover getting a title but it would be around the 30th before I can get up to get it. Figure it'll take at least that long to get the title.