• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Buying a M35A2 or M35A3?

Which is better an M35A2 or M35A3

• M35A2

Votes: 195 61.7%
  • M35A3

Votes: 121 38.3%

• Total voters

DonFDNY

Frame Number on a 1993 M35A3 ?

I found the frame number behind the drivers side front wheel
The number is 22 2793L 79n

I don't know how to read the number correctly.

I'm guessing the 79n may have been the year of the donor deuce that was used to make the A3.
There is no other number on that part of the frame.
Does anyone know how to interpret this frame number correctly?
Thanks,
Don

3dAngus

I would like both, but, given a choice today, definitely the A3.
If the engine goes out, just replace it at these prices. Who cares. Get a practically new one for about $1000. Put an A2 in the shop and replace the head gaskets, and see what it cost you. (About a new engine cost, but at GL and/or scrapper prices) Reasons to buy an A2? Better historical value, and multifuel in case of Armeggeddon. Not into Armeggeddon myself, but would be nice to have a multifuel just in case (I'm not closed minded) Also, like stated so many times earlier, it's easier because it is simpler. I think I could even work on an A2, and I'm not so smart. I just write checks to get it done. Even so, if I could work on an A2, I figure I could work on an A3. Why? I got SS membership. That and a few tech manuals, and anything is possible.

I like power steering. Forget that "Be a real man" stuff and wrench your shoulder off when trying to make a turn from a dead stop with a straight wheel, or worse yet, when tires are in a rut. Learned that business when riding a tractor. NEVER buy a tractor without power steering. DUMB!! Whew. And I like drinking my coffee in the morning driving down the road. Try that with a stick. McDonald's coffee ring a bell? Thank God I don't have a vagina.

I like the A2. I like the A3. They both have merit, all their own. You can't go wrong with either, but you could sure go right if you had them both.

saddamsnightmare

February 24th, 2011.

Gents:

I have only owned an M35A2 of late, but do permit me to point out that M35A2 NOS parts are a heck of a lot cheaper and more plentiful then M35A3 parts.... Man up, is that the word? We had M35 and M211's and the automatic transmission was designed for a person who could neither clutch or shift.... the average modern moron, perhaps? They can't make road speed like a 5 speed, be it a GMC with a hydromatic, or a CAT with Allison, and the Cat doesn't do that much more at very low speeds and low transfer range settings then the Multifuel.
Multifuels blowing up, yes! How many of these puppies are pushing them over 2000RPM and 45 MPH? IF you are trying to drive a deuce like a GMC,Chevy, Ford or Dodge PU, you are gonna be surprised. I'D LOVE to have a split circuit brake system, but if you drive the deuce by gearing down and planning your stops miles ahead, you shouldn't need two circuit brakes if you maintain what she's got. AND when diesel hits $5.00+ a gallon, every multifuel will at least be moveable on something else, CAT's don't like dirty food or litter....;-)

Have fun, and check your knives at the door.....:-D

3dAngus

Oh, one more thing. You guys are right about parts availability on the A2, of course.

When the govt. rids itself of all the A3's, which time is coming, all the new parts on the shelves are going to flood the market. They will all be turn-ins.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
besides gasoline, what is it exactly the MF's can burn for fuel that Cat's cannot?
Moonshine to Jet-Fuel, including, but not limited to the following....

Moonshine
Distilled Alcohol - Running, Whiskey, Bourbon, Scotch, etc.
Gasoline
Kerosene
Naptha
various solvents
Paint Thinner
Nail Polish Remover
Waste Veggie Oil (WVO)
New Veggie Oil
Waste Motor Oil (WMO)
New Motor Oil
Waste Automatic Transmission Fluid
Zippo Lighter Fluid
"Panther P!ss"
ANY flammable liquid

Please refer to the TM's for the "Official List" of acceptable fuels.

mudguppy

Moonshine to Jet-Fuel, including, but not limited to the following....

Moonshine
Distilled Alcohol - Running, Whiskey, Bourbon, Scotch, etc.
Gasoline
Kerosene
Naptha
various solvents
Paint Thinner
Nail Polish Remover
Waste Veggie Oil (WVO)
New Veggie Oil
Waste Motor Oil (WMO)
New Motor Oil
Waste Automatic Transmission Fluid
Zippo Lighter Fluid
"Panther P!ss"
ANY flammable liquid

Please refer to the TM's for the "Official List" of acceptable fuels.
:roll:

well, the only thing practical in that list is
  • gasoline
  • kerosene
  • WVO
  • WMO
  • ATF
so, again, except for gasoline (which you can't run straight, anyway), which of these can the MF burn that the Cat cannot?

i'll give you a hint: it's a trick question.

and, btw, you can't run a MF on alcohol. if you think you can, i'll supply the bottle and we'll hook up a fuel line and run it into your MF. :doh:

lonegunman

Multifuel is such a flaming success that it is used in no over the road, trucks, generators or heavy equipment currently used anywhere in the world. Cat engines and heavy equipment on the other hand can be found everywhere. in the world.

dittle

Multifuel is such a flaming success that it is used in no over the road, trucks, generators or heavy equipment currently used anywhere in the world. Cat engines and heavy equipment on the other hand can be found everywhere. in the world.
What's your point????? OTR trucks have no need or reason for MF capability. Remember, stuff made back in the 50's and 60's were designed to be simple and easily repaired (nothing major of course) onsite by the soldiers with the equipment. Go throw a 3116 in it, have a break down and see if you can get it running with nothing more than a simple tool bag.

mktopside

Banned
This is why we can't have nice things!!

Actually, this us why we need our own A3 forum. A fight always starts.

I do agree though.

mktopside

Banned
What's your point????? OTR trucks have no need or reason for MF capability. Remember, stuff made back in the 50's and 60's were designed to be simple and easily repaired (nothing major of course) onsite by the soldiers with the equipment. Go throw a 3116 in it, have a break down and see if you can get it running with nothing more than a simple tool bag.
And when you can't fix your engine with a bag of tools, who can buy replacement parts at any truck parts house?

;-)

Unforgiven

The multifuel is not commonly used because the emissions generated by waste motor oil, waste transmission fluid, and waste power steering fluid are carcinogenic.

The military gets away with it because they are, well, ... the military. In times of national crisis the environmental rules go out the window.

MMMMMM. just whiff in those nice Benzene daughter products from all the OTR truckers. I don't think so.

The MV hobby is small. So the EPA overlooks it and goes after bigger fish.

lonegunman

Exactly. Have to agree with you even though I'm an A2 fan and don't see myself ever getting an A3. :D

Let's see your tool bag fix the hole in the side of the block after you dial up the fuel and the guts blow out of your magic engine.

For all the "expert" advice available here, I find it interesting that so many people comment on A3's when they have never owned, driven or in most cases ever seen one in person.

If you hunted thru posts from actual A3 owners you would be hard pressed to find one who regrets buying their truck or who is disappointed in the way it runs or operates.

Lex_Ordo

Well, When I was in the market for a military vehicle, I wanted the m151. I had the restored 1/4 ton Canadian Military trailer, and thought the MUTT, would be a nice addition. Price was an issue though. So no MUTT for me.

Then I found a seller on eBay, who is also on this site. He had a large selection of Dueces; And at the time, his dueces were all A2s. Right out of GL.

Most importantly however was the price! In the ball park of what I wanted to spend, so I had extra to put towards restoration.

Now this being 2 1/2 years later...
If all he had now were A3s, then I would be buying one of them. It is all relative to what is available and price.

My A2, is nicely restored. I added an A3 guage panel, new instruments and colored lenses to dress it up a bit.

Don, congrats on the A3, I know you were looking for a while. We'll have to get them driving around the Island this spring. :p

Attachments

dittle

Let's see your tool bag fix the hole in the side of the block after you dial up the fuel and the guts blow out of your magic engine.

For all the "expert" advice available here, I find it interesting that so many people comment on A3's when they have never owned, driven or in most cases ever seen one in person.

If you hunted thru posts from actual A3 owners you would be hard pressed to find one who regrets buying their truck or who is disappointed in the way it runs or operates.

I did say in my post "nothing major". I was pointing out that your post about the MF not being in OTR trucks was pointless. You can argue back and forth about MF vs CAT all you want....apples and oranges. I do have to ask as you avatar doesn't state: have you ever seen, driven, or even been close to a MV since your such an expert? BTW I have

Last edited:

mktopside

Banned
I did say in my post "nothing major". I was pointing out that your post about the MF not being in OTR trucks was pointless. You can argue back and forth about MF vs CAT all you want....apples and oranges. I do have to ask as you avatar doesn't state: have you ever seen, driven, or even been close to a MV since your such an expert? BTW I have
He's one of us A3 guys.

3dAngus

Actually, this us why we need our own A3 forum. A fight always starts.
I respectfully disagree. It is never a good idea to divide and polarize the community. The diversity and the differing opinions make the site better, not worse, and offer the broader community a quick reference for the two comparisons (in this thread).

Next, you would have your A2 community, M-37, CUCV, etc. etc. and nothing good comes out of that. Anyway, I love the A3, but a deuce is a deuce.

Personally, I see the "fights" as an academic debate that no one will ever win.
It's kinda cool, if you're unbiased on the issue. They're both awesome!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks