• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Buying first CUCV and in need of advice.

jh19900

Bought M1009 today.

Picked up the one I posted about earlier.
Anyone know what type of trailer this is? It came with it. Would it make a 2 hour drive without a tranny cooler? I'm super stoked to start fixing her up and learning about these vehicles.

truck1.jpgtruck8.jpgtruck5.jpgtruck2.jpgtruck9.jpgtruck6.jpgtruck3.jpgtruck7.jpgtruck4.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9MgQrVxFXo&feature=youtu.be

Attachments

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I have approved your post, it was moderated because of your lack of posts and the remote linked images, please upload them directly to prevent this in the future as it's a requirement.

Skinny

Doesn't look too bad, probably had some rust issues judging by the fender cut outs. I would pay close attention to the wiring. The alternators look like something has been fudged on the B+ wires.

jh19900

Thanks for the help. I'm over in the Spokane area. I had no idea you could upload photos directly. I will do that in the future.

I wasn't too crazy about having a roll cage but whoever put it in did a nice job. The owner said it would go in to 4H with no problems but 4L required you to shift in to neutral, then shift to 4L and then put it in reverse for it to actually engage. Sound like a problem?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats. Overall it looks clean and will be a good base truck to start with.

MarcusOReallyus

That trailer is a bit heavy for the M1009. Around 2300 pounds, IIRC. It's got air brakes designed to work with the Deuce, so you won't have brakes using it with the M1009.

A better match for the M1009 is the M101 series trailers. About half the weight, and they have surge brakes. I often drag mine behind my Jeep Cherokee.

Chief_919

That trailer is a bit heavy for the M1009. Around 2300 pounds, IIRC. It's got air brakes designed to work with the Deuce, so you won't have brakes using it with the M1009.

A better match for the M1009 is the M101 series trailers. About half the weight, and they have surge brakes. I often drag mine behind my Jeep Cherokee.
Actually the 101 is even too much for a 1009- they were intended to only tow the M-416. The stock pintle hook setup is pretty flimsy.

the skull

Please be cautious pulling larger trailers with smaller trucks,
the "tail wagging the dog" effect can be hazardous to your ego.
The wrong load on a small trailer can beat up on a bigger truck
faster than you think.

jh19900

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to just take the trailer to my home town and store it. Might use it to sandblast and paint just for some practice.

About a two hour drive though. I plan on leaving late when it is cold out and taking a few breaks along the way to keep the tranny cool.

MarcusOReallyus

Just getting it home empty shouldn't be a problem. It's well within the vehicle's capabilities. But if you want to haul stuff on a regular basis, look for something a lot smaller.

Once you get the trailer cleaned up, maybe you can explore selling it. There's a forum here just for trailers, and folks can help you figure out a fair price.

I did that once. I was interested in selling the cover for my M101 trailer, and I thought it was in pretty good shape. Posted some pictures and asked for feedback, and my dear fellow SSers shot me down in a hurry! Pointed out all the problems I didn't recognize, and told me it was worth maybe fifty bucks. :mrgreen:

Still, it's better to know. :beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks