• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

buying m1008 6.2 blazer couple questions?!

vrscdx105

well i am really looking into buying an m1008 blazer and just have a few questions...

is this type of vehicle a good daily driver to have about 9000 miles a year put on it?

is finding replacement parts for the 24v system hard?

well thats really the only questions that i have now!

i really like older trucks and just cant see myself dropping crazy money for a new truck when the older ones were built better and easier to work on! i just want a simple daily driver that i can maybe lift up a bit and have fun with and use to get to and from work on a daily basis...

bigflew

First of all a Blazer is a m1009. as far as a daily driver I think they are great. I love driving mine. I originaly bought it for a replacement for my 91 blazer plow truck but it ended up being my favrote of the 6 blazers I have owned and is now in indoor winter storage. and I am looking for a plow truck replacement.
basicly the 24v system is limited to the starting system the rest is 12v with 2 12v alternators wich are special to this system. expect to pay up to $200.00 for one.24v starters are about the same.
some tips. Buy one from the south(no salt) also first thing replace starter relay with a heavy duty one. there are many posts on this.
if you have any problems all the answers are on this site.

kassim503

You can drive it for 9k a year, I was putting 1-2k a month on mine for a few months and didnt mind as long as the trips where under a hour a piece.

24 volt parts arent all that hard to find, most of the truck is your run of the mill 12v civvy stuff, cept the starter, alternator, and resistor bank. The starters can be pricey, but they are superior for those cold weather starts, it turns so much faster.

If you do look into lifting it and putting huge tires on it, you may have to invest in getting a heavier rear axle, and regearing it too, which can be done cheaply with some goodies from a nice pull a part junkyard.

bigflew

m1009 gear ratio is 3.08 should run good at highway speeds no interstates near me but have run at 75mph. also get 18+ mpg localy much beter on highway

Sgt Hulka

M1009 as daily driver...

Absolutely. The M1009 sounds like a good choice for what you want. I drive mine daily love it. Unlike its pick up truck sisters, it's got those 3.08 axles that allow easy freeway+ speeds. Plus, and you don't see this mentioned too often, it's very maneuverable, very tight turning circle and easy to drive in congested urban areas. Lots of aftermarket parts and don't sweat the 24v stuff. Pretty easy to find and if you ever desire, conversion to 12v is straightforward. Have fun.

vrscdx105

great! thanks alot for the info guys! i am currently looking on ebay... finding alot of good deals... i live in depew NY which is bout 20 minutes from buffalo... any other great places to buy other than ebay?

Sgt Hulka

Well, Government Liquidiation, but that has a certain amount of risk. My guess is the classifieds right here on Steel Soldiers is a good place. Lots of good folks with great iron to sell...

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mines a daily driver and the only reason I'm getting rid of it for a 1010 is because I need a/c and the kit I got from an unmentioned sponsor of this site sucks.

As Sgt Hulka said, great turning radius. I could out turn my old PT Cruiser by a couple of yards. First couple things you should do after getting it is #1 check the starter bolts. I would recommend replacing them just to be on the safe side and make sure they are torqued properly. #2 get the front suspension checked. If it's got any miles on it you'll probably need new ball joints. #3 get the brakes checked out or do it yourself.

DON'T switch it to 12 volt. If you're going to do that just buy a civvy Blazer.

Sgt Hulka

I agree on all points from mkcoen, except 12v conversion. I was very reluctant but did for about 10 reasons I detailed in another thread (keywords 12v 14v conversion problems). For my purposes, I am very, very, very (that's 3 very's) happy with the 12v conversion and have retained the capability to easily convert back to 24v if desired. It just depends on your needs...

Dodgeman1941

We've put on some 30k in a little over a year. Also worth mentioning about the starter bolts, make sure there is the little brkt on the front of the starter going to the block. Ours was missing that and it was breaking starter bolts left and right. 24volt, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, the only problem we have had with anything dealing with 24v was that STUPID starter relay under the dash. Very meneoverable, this thing will turn on a dime.

jimm1009

M1009

I purchased mine in mid 1995 drove it for 3,000 miles with the OEM tires on it and then switched to 33/12:50 x 15 tires on the same wheels because Uncle Sugar had mostly worn out the others.
I can drive mine at 72 MPH for hours and hours.
I've driven it from my house to my parents four different times (940 miles one way) and never a lick of trouble. I drive it 5 to 6 days a week and
I logged about 135,000 miles in this truck and love it.
It is truely universal, half pickup and half passenger vehicle.
No A/C to date, small radio in the Chevy console, electric tailgate window riser, and still trucking!
jimm1009

HAWKMAN

well i am really looking into buying an m1008 blazer and just have a few questions...

is this type of vehicle a good daily driver to have about 9000 miles a year put on it?

is finding replacement parts for the 24v system hard?

well thats really the only questions that i have now!

i really like older trucks and just cant see myself dropping crazy money for a new truck when the older ones were built better and easier to work on! i just want a simple daily driver that i can maybe lift up a bit and have fun with and use to get to and from work on a daily basis...
I've got a good runner with decent body in desert sand.....PM me for details

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks