• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Buying my 1st Deuce

RustyinAlabama

I’m new to Steel Soldier and so far find the site a great place to learn and share info on military items. I’m going to look at a M35A3 this week and wanted to know what things one must review when looking to buy this truck. I’ve bought trucks before understand engines and drive trains fairly well. But if there was just a few things that one must review on a M35A3 to make sure you are getting a solid machine, what would they be? The truck has 1084 hours and 223 hours on it. Thanks

wozbean

Well I would start by doing a search above. I believe there is a post entitled "So you want to buy a duece". I would also check your HOA coveniance and local laws regarding vehicle weight. I know you are in Montgomery BUT, I believe there is also a post that says you can't have a duece overnight inside Huntsville.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't have experience with the A3, but If I were in your position I would be focused on the health of the motor, trans and braking system. The engine should idle smooth and without blow-by, with no apparent miss checked by the exhaust gas flow. The trans fluid should be clean and the transmission shift operation should be crisp and predictable as it passes through the gears. The brakes are harder to assess, but if you can determine the lining condition, then a road test to check the operation and a check of temperatures of the brakes after a long drive will give you a reasonable measure of security.

If you don't mind, what are the private sales prices of the M35A3 these days?

Rick

poppop

The A3 is quite a bit different from the A2's. They have a different engine and automatic transmission and dual brakes. Same basic princples though, does it run good, does trans pull and shift good, does brake petal feel good and truck stops well, are there any major leaks, are tires aired up and look good, ect.....

RustyinAlabama

Thanks for the tips. I found the "So you want to buy a duece" article and it was very helpful. I live near TN in the country
so unless the squirrels object or tell my wife where I parked the truck all will be fine.

wsucougarx

You guys are allowed to start the trucks up at GL on the E. Coast? I go to GL at FT Lewis on a pretty regular basis. It never fails, whenever I go out to the yard I get the same old warning "DONT START THE TRUCKS" and "STAY AWAY FROM THE DRMO SIDE". Rusty I am unfamiliar with the A3's. Not by failure in securing one but due to the potential cost of replacement parts etc. You should definately take that into consideration when thinking about an A3. The CTIS on the A3's are a pretty neat feature until you encounter the inevitable issues that system has. Definately be an informed buyer on the A3's and any truck for that matter. Use the search function. You will be amazed by the amount of information you can find in here. No joke, don't be surprised to find yourself up until the wee hours of the morning reading all this stuff. Good luck on your research

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks