• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Buying my first deuce ! need a check list please, NEW MEMBER

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey everyone!
I hate to waste room on the forum with another thread without searching for what I need to know from other threads first but I just don't have the time to sort through to get what I'm looking for since I'm preparing to go look/purchase my first ever deuce tomorrow morning. Any quick help or even a link would be greatly appreciated.

Its a Bobbed deuce with the multi fuel engine with supposedly 50k miles but only 1700 hours. The truck will need tires soon and the owner claims that its brake leak was just repaired. The transmission wont allow you to to go into 5th gear for an unknown reason and the owner claims 5th was "removed because it was a tow vehicle" which makes no sense at all. Im new to deuces but not new to diesels, turbos, and horsepower.

I found a new rebuilt trans for ~$1250+$300 core, Reasonable?

The fuel tank is mounted in the bed which I dislike and would like to return it to it original location just behind the step by the passenger door.

Both front fenders are missing as well the steph to get in the truck (unless the fender and step are one piece)
Right towards the top of the page
http://www.easternsurplus.net/duece_spares.html

and the winch is there but not functional, "it needs a pin" or something to make it engage? Ill get more info regarding that but at least its there.

Basically what I am looking to acquire from you all is things to look for that the naked eye wouldn't notice. A small check list would be fantastic. I read things about people turning up the power on them, can someone post a picture of that location and how it should look STOCK if it had never been ADJUSTED OR TURNED UP? (would hate to buy a truck then realized its been molested)

Im slowly learning and understanding thehydraulic/air system for the brakes, fuel, air tank seals? etc, are there any specific things in that nature I should look over?

Again, Thank you very much for any advice, I already know I wont be getting much sleep thinking about this beauty! Ive drempt of one for years! Any check list would be a great help!

Nick
How much more can you molest than by bobbing it ? From the problems you described , If the seller is the one who bobbed it and says 5th gear was removed for towing and he worked on the brakes amnd parts missing and needs tires . Unless your buying it at scrap price " RUN FOREST RUN " is the best advice i can give you . It sounds like a poorly thrwn together project that he wants out of . As far as things to check this is your best list for a deuce GTA-9-1-1851-8.pdf

Last edited:

two.fiveM35

I would look at another, it sounds like you like very little of it. It will cost you money and item to fix it up, when you could probably find what you are looking for elsewhere

gunboy1656

My advice, don't jump on the first truck you see. Look around there are plenty to be had. Go look at this one take pics of everything and post back here so we can spot any issues.

goldneagle

If the seller is being dishonest about the truck i would not buy it! Who knows what else he is hiding. Find another one with a more trustful owner. :roll:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I've never heard of removing a gear out of a transmission to make it a "tow vehicle". Sounds like the tranny is FUBAR and the owner is trying to palm off his abortion on someone that doesn't know any better. There are plenty of good trucks out there that you can customize to suit your own needs. Take your time and do some research and you will be better off in the long run.

steelandcanvas

Doesn't sound like a deal I'd like to be involoved in. You never mentioned if it had a title, no title, no deal. I agree with Porkysplace, it sounds like something the seller just wants to get out from under. Did you plan on moving this vehicle under it's own power? If so, do you have a temporary plate, and insurance? Before making an investment in a hobby such as restoring MV's, you might want to take the time to research a little more. If you haven't already, you might want to download the TM's for the Deuce and become more familiar with your dream truck. As said before, don't buy the first truck you see, there will more trucks come up for sale and in a lot better shape. This hobby has numerous responsibilities, take your time and do it right.

Heath_h49008

Agreed, this sounds like a beat down nightmare at best. Scrap value.

Right now that's $1500 give or take for the weight of a chopped up bobber.

Good trucks can be had for $4000 all day long.

Minus the other axle they bobbed... -$400
Minus the missing parts, fenders, etc.... -$1000
Minus the trans at your pricing ....$1250
I'm going to roughly shoot the brakes as airpack, master and a couple of wheel cylinders and lines as well as a gal of DOT 5... $600
This doesn't even mention how much of your time and labor, changing all of the fluids, any leaking axle seals? Did he change all of the fluids the last time he ran this thing through a mud hole?

Out of morbid curiosity, how much does the guy want for this "Dream Machine?"

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ordinarily I wouldn't do this but here goes.

You join the website and the very first thing you post is that you hate to waste room with a thread but you don't have time to do any searching for yourself but you expect everyone here to do it for you. Did I get that right?

How about you don't get the truck you are looking at, learn how to use the search function and don't waste anymore space until you do.

Reality is a harsh mistress.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Are you f'ing s'ing us? Is this thread a joke??? I'd run away from this deal soooo fast my feet wouldn't touch the ground under my 300 pound slinder build!!!!!

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
you can go ahead and delete the thread. apparently i dont know what Im doing and the negativity doesnt help.
That may be but you need to read the rules as Jonathan said and use capital letters and punctuation. As for the reality lesson, you don't hop onto a web site and point out to everyone that you don't have to search but yet expect us to just give you the answers you want to hear and just wait or the love to appear.

The truck is most likely crap as has been pointed out and if you had waited and learned a little about the people on this site there is virtually nothing the people on here wouldn't supply or do for you to help out.

No, I'm not deleting it and everyone can read what you wanted in post #2.

KsM715

Dont take it so hard. These guys are just looking out for you. The truck does sound like its pretty well FUBAR'd and not a good candidate for a first truck.

The rest..............Well you can tell most guys here put alot of time working on trucks, doing alot of research for parts on these trucks long before the interwebs were ever even thought of. With that said it makes it hard for those guys to just spoon feed someone the info they are looking for without even trying to do much research themselves. If you can take that critisism for what its worth and come back with a better attitude you'll get along here. If you cant handle the negativety and think they are being to hard on you then you probably wont like this site anyways.

Most of us were in the military and like having policys and procedures to follow, and if you dont follow them then just like having a grumpy old CSM around, they will let you know when they think your out of line. (thats how we stay in our comfort zone around here)

A good dose of seriousness along with a good sense of humor.

Last edited:

toomey200

I was rushing into getting a truck I knew nothing about and was looking for the easy road. I'm no stranger to diesel trucks or turbo cars however military vehicles are like a different language to me. I stumbled upon the forum accidentally and found nothing but amazingly useful information and wish I had found out about you guys a few days sooner.
I apologize for not reading through the rules and regulations and I appreciate you folks looking out for someone you don't even know with the best of intentions. I don't blame you all for the harsh criticism one bit seeing as how I am the new guy looking for hand outs.
I was able to push the seller of the vehicle off a few days to buy myself some time to do some much needed research before taking a second look at the truck. Sorry once again and I Hope to start things off on a better foot.

Last edited:

ProPower

Just give it some time and you'll get to know people! Most everybody is helpful and a pleasure to talk with! If your new here the best advice I can tell you is to "do a search before asking" and then ask if you come up with nothing! The knowledge on here is fa-nominal but people get ornery when they repeat themselves weekly!

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was rushing into getting a truck I knew nothing about and was looking for the easy road. I'm no stranger to diesel trucks or turbo cars however military vehicles are like a different language to me. I stumbled upon the forum accidentally and found nothing but amazingly useful information and wish I had found out about you guys a few days sooner.
I apologize for not reading through the rules and regulations and I appreciate you folks looking out for someone you don't even know with the best of intentions. I don't blame you all for the harsh criticism one bit seeing as how I am the new guy looking for hand outs.
I was able to push the seller of the vehicle off a few days to buy myself some time to do some much needed research before taking a second look at the truck. Sorry once again and I Hope to start things off on a better foot.
Start with reading the manuals, in particular the -10 Operators Manual and go from there. Parts are available to fix anything that is broke on it. There are engine/transmission swap threads and everything you ever wanted to know about the breaks. If you can't get the hang of the search try using Google and there is a thread on it that you can find using the search here.

site:steelsoldiers.com XXX XXX XXX

XXX = terms you are looking for (one or two or etc etc

If you honestly can't find something then post a request and...welcome aboard. We look forward to your new affliction.

steelandcanvas

Your post last night definitely reflects your desire to participate in this great forum. My advice, pass on that truck, download at least the Operator's Manual for now and get to know what you're getting into. As your reading and research develop your knowledge base on the Deuce, you'll want to download the other, more intense maintanance manuals later on. Shop around, it's obvious you're excited about owning a Deuce, but take your time and make wise decisions that will allow you to enjoy your ownership, not regret it. Most of us here are bat-crap crazy about the "green iron", but that is fairly obvious. I bought my first Deuce 7 years ago, my second 4 years ago. The first one has a bad rod knock, so needing my green iron fix, I bought another. I belong to a very active Club (MVCC) that does about 30 events a month. I have learned quite a bit on this forum, and shared a little of my knowledge too. Welcome! Take your time and enjoy!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks