• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Buying my first one....M813A1

Shelby1962

Just made a deal on a pretty decent '71 AM General with 53" rubber. Truck has a real nice cab and front end, box has quite a bit of surface rust but it seems to run really good. Never even thought about getting a military truck but whatever, a new experience. I've always collected cars from a Model T to muscle cars and it's time for a new adventure.
Any advice for a new first time owner?
Plan on a full service and a paint job.

tobyS

Welcome to green iron. Post some pictures when you get it. I like the 813 too and have an 817.

There are lots of threads on painting. You may want to consider downloading and printing out some of the technical manuals for your model too. Maybe it will come with them. About any subject you can think of has bee discussed here...if you can find it. Good luck!

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome from Kentucky,
Good for you, jumped right into a 5 ton. Take your time and go through it and make sure it's road worthy.
I stock the spin on oil filter adapter kit for NHC 250, listed in the classified, for when you service it, makes oil
filter changes a breeze.
Have fun
JC

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
When you say "box" has a bunch of rust, do you mean the bed? Those are easy enough to remove to work on. That way you can still drive it around while you work on the bed!

BigDawg41

Welcome from over in Springville NY! I have an M813 also. If you have any problems or questions send me a PM.There are a few truck owners this way who get together for shows,parades etc. Not sure what engine you have but one of the guys is very knowledgeable with the NHC-250 engine and retired from the Cummins plant.

Shelby1962

Welcome from over in Springville NY! I have an M813 also. If you have any problems or questions send me a PM.There are a few truck owners this way who get together for shows,parades etc. Not sure what engine you have but one of the guys is very knowledgeable with the NHC-250 engine and retired from the Cummins plant.
Looking forward to talking, will send you a PM once I get it home. It is a 250 Cummins and It seems to run well. No Idea what I got myself into-that is the best part! Got a little bored of always owning Mustangs, this is a whole new ball game.

dmetalmiki

Welcome to the craze! I always wondered what the difference in performance would be with the Cummins engined motor. Someone over here keeps trying to swap an 813 for one of mine, I don't like the idea of the exchange though. Be nice to see pictures when you do get it. (oh, and that bed, just power sand it, then prime and paint, should be good for ever).

BigDawg41

I did the same thing.I saw mine sitting alongside the road for sale and the price was right. So I said what the heck and jumped in with no knowledge whatsoever. I found they are pretty simple,just everything is bigger and you will need some help at times. How far away is it located?

Shelby1962

I did the same thing.I saw mine sitting alongside the road for sale and the price was right. So I said what the heck and jumped in with no knowledge whatsoever. I found they are pretty simple,just everything is bigger and you will need some help at times. How far away is it located?
The distance from home is what made this an easy decision. The truck is about 2 miles from my house. No issues with paying for big dollar trucking fees to get it.
Getting help is usually pretty easy when I supply the beer and pizza, but over the years I have learned, help first, pizza and then beer. Reverse order is usually not very productive.

BigDawg41

Congrats.Looks like a nice solid truck.Was that one of the trucks for sale on King rd? A co-worker of mine lives that way and told me about it and I was going to go check them out. Registering it should be easy if you have all the paper work on it. Historical plates and insurance are cheap if you don't plan on hauling or towing anything.

SWMARTINA

Love the tires, What brand paint do you plan on using? Lots of threads on here about Behr house paint. Need to paint mine too. Lots of area to cover on one of these babies. Bill

Shelby1962

It is from King road, he has another for sale by the road. Super nice guy to deal with. I see that you have a '72 so it should be very similar to mine. PM me if you'd like to stop by and check it out