• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Buying My First - Plan It To Be A Beyond The RV Crowd RV

JakesPack

Buying this truck that began life as a m931a2, but is now shortened and wearing a 2 1/2 shopvan box.

I'm a complete beginner. I've got it by the auction, but haven't got in possession yet. Climbed around on it some this morning. Seller is replacing tires due to checking that we found - when done, I get it.
1635450252276.png

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Buying this truck that began life as a m931a2, but is now shortened and wearing a 2 1/2 shopvan box.

I'm a complete beginner. I've got it by the auction, but haven't got in possession yet. Climbed around on it some this morning. Seller is replacing tires due to checking that we found - when done, I get it.
View attachment 849162
Looks like a nice paint job and some big fat tires on it...
If the inside is anything like the outside, it appears that you have a nice truck!

Welcome to the Outfit!

Be sure to download the TM's for your truck!
The M931 is covered in the M939 Series of Trucks

JakesPack

Looks like a nice paint job and some big fat tires on it...
If the inside is anything like the outside, it appears that you have a nice truck!

Welcome to the Outfit!

Be sure to download the TM's for your truck!
The M931 is covered in the M939 Series of Trucks
Thanks for the welcome and the pointer toward the tech info.

Everything looks quite good on it to new eyes, except the sun and limited recent use damaged tires. Not, though, to be taken lightly on a truck that lost its spare rack to its shortening and bed to box conversion.

Any tips on its likely weight, now, would be appreciated and useful - the box is empty.

Third From Texas

Any tips on its likely weight, now, would be appreciated and useful - the box is empty.
Well you can get in the ballpark with an M9xx or M185 shop van weight.
*edit: that would be ~18000-19000 GVW

The title/OEM weight will of course not take into account some factors there.

The only way to get it correct is a trip to the CAT scales . They are located everywhere and only cost like $10 to get an official weight printout.

Last edited:

JakesPack

View attachment 849162
Well you can get in the ballpark with an M9xx or M185 shop van weight.
*edit: that would be ~18000-19000 GVW

The title/OEM weight will of course not take into account some factors there.

The only way to get it correct is a trip to the CAT scales . They are located everywhere and only cost like $10 to get an official weight printout.

That's good info and good news, thanks.

I'd very much like to stay under 26k, and being modded, maybe, the old official weight means nothing compared to actual.

JakesPack

Well the good news is that there are no shortage of the 5-ton and old duce shop vans.

I can already tell by the mudflaps that at least at some point the price was 2-3x what it can be found for elsewhere

;)
For my self respect and maybe a token of credibility, here - even as a newbie, my bid was not near what the mudflaps site asks.

Still need a running and driving truck.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial

View attachment 849162
Show us the rest of it in photos Please

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you got it for a good price - which means that you were happy paying it and the seller happy receiving it - getting weather checked tires replaced on top of it is a bonus. Those big super singles are not cheap.
I like the stance; the 5ton with the short van box looks muscular and well proportioned.

Don't park it on a brick driveway; apparently it breaks those?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I'm disappointed, annoyed, and going home.

So much is right about the truck; but, even having given the seller an additional week of me staying in his town waiting, he couldn't show me the truck running.
Yeah, it is pretty sad - but at least you were willing to leave you money in your pocket.
Once you hand over the dough the deal is done.

Good, Bad or Indifferent you might have ended up with a pig in a poke.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks