• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Buying out of state...

ProgDrummer79

So I have a lead on a deuce. I live in PA but the truck is in VA. Driving it home would obviously be the easiest thing to do. Here's the problem:

In PA, titles get transferred at a Notary, and they will issue a plate, or, temporary tag, etc. and you're good to go.

I'm being told that in VA you don't have to do this, you just sign off the title, and that's it. I have no doubt that if you live in VA, you probably go to a DMV to get a vehicle registered.

I don't actually KNOW if I'll buy the deuce, since I haven't seen it in person. I would imagine if I KNEW that I was buying it, I could probably get all the paperwork and temporary tag here before even going to get it. So what steps do I need to go through to buy a vehicle and drive it back LEGALLY?

I've only ever bought one truck out of state, but it was at a huge dealership, and they did everything, all I had to do is sign my name. If I had the ability, I would just trailer it back, but I asked my boss at work if I could pay one of our cdl drivers under the table and borrow one of our big trucks, but they wouldn't allow it.

Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but I just want to make sure that my bases are covered. What I DON'T want, is to drive down there, agree to buy it, then have to make A second trip to go pick it up. Any help would be appreciated.

jeremymx26

I bought a few out of state and got them titled at a notary with a signed title and bill of sale. Driving it back before title work could be difficult. I had mine shipped.
Is there any way you could use a dealer plate?
Other than that I could only see 2 trips if you want to preview.
You could buy it. Have him send you the signed title and bill of sale. Have the title work done. Then pick up the truck.
Hope some of this helps.

ProgDrummer79

Well that's pretty much what I was trying to avoid. It'll take about 5 hours to get there, so I was hoping to only do the trip once. Just didn't know if someone had dealt with this before. If I can't drive it home, then I'm gonna end up spending a ton on shipping, or have to make the long drive again, and I have a hard time getting a free day as it is, so doing that is gonna end up being just short of impossible. This sucks.

ProgDrummer79

Yes, currently registered in VA. But if I like it, I would want to transfer it into my name and drive it home. all of this would have to be done in VA before making the trip, and while some may think this was a dumb question, I just never purchsed a vehicle in Virginia and didn't know how to do this without having to make multiple trips.

lpcoating

If you are working in Covington, stop in at Dave's Taxes & Tags and ask him what needs to be done on the PA side. He's located on old 15 between Covington and Blossburg. He's a real nice guy...

Al Harvey

I'd suggest going down and talking to your local notary/dmv and ask them. Some states will allow you to drive it home with a signed title in your possession. You also need to find out if you need a notarized bill of sale to go with the title since your states using notaries. Insurance is the other thing to make sure you get.

crazzyrman

The options I can think of is if it is currently registered in the sellers name , ask if he would let you drive it home on his registration (& maybe insurance), but I would setup my own insurance ahead & then just call & confirm adding the vehicle. You could always mail back his plates or email a picture of them destroyed (if acceptable) when your done.
Option 2, setup insurance & take a current plate of yours down with you & try not to draw attention to yourself on the way home. Several cops I've talked to have said with a dated bill of sale/ title transfer within the last 2 days (over a weekend) & proof of insurance, some say your totally legal & others say as long as its insured & a new purchase in transit they would let the lack of registration slide.
Option 3, find some with a truck & trailer to go with you or borrow.
Option 4, some states you can go to the local DMV & get a temporary out of state in transit tag.
Option 5, ask for more pictures & decide to buy it & send money & get paperwork sent to you ahead of time & processed.
Option 6, 2 trips.
Option 7, pay a shipping company.

Personally I bought a car from a friend locally & used their plates for a couple day until I could get to DMV.
I've bought a jeep from a guy out of state & borrowed a trailer to tow it home.
I've bought a motorcycle from out of state brought a current plate (from the bike it was replacing) & added it to my insurance & rode it home.
I sold a car to a guy from pa so we went to nj DMV & got an out of state in transit tag so he could drive it home.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks