• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Buying Sight Unseen from GL

renovate7

I've found some M35's that will be available in upcoming auctions. When I called I was told per this auction's rules there is no viewing. There are quite a few good pics but buying without going and looking at it doesn't seem very smart. How do others here handle this. Do you just bid low and hope for the best?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
How do I phrase this……..

Put in a bid you would be happy with if you went to pick up the truck and found it was a total scrap heap….a parts donor at best.

That way, no matter what happens, you didn't overpay.

Anything more and you're playing the odds.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pay for the worst, hope for the best. Anything else, and your going to be disappointed. Some of thr FL trucks look pretty beat on, and it's entirely piossible that they have ventilated blocks, missing MAJOR components, etc.....

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pay just enough so that if it turned out to be a pile of rusty scrap metal, you can get your money back by selling it as rusty scrap metal. My 2 cents.

Michael

RE: Re: Buying Sight Unseen from GL

They've got some pretty sneaky photographers out there in GL land
It depends on the base, some go out of their way to show the defects, most don't care, and some used to sell used cars. Some barely know which end of the camera to point at the subject.

It is a gamble no mater what you do so don't bid more than you can afford to loose. While you might see something that would keep you from bidding on a particular truck when you preview it, you might look at it and miss a major problem. They won't let you do much more than look and maybe push the start button. You can't take it for a test drive.

The biggest things in my mind to remember is you are buying as is where is, you will have to move it at their convenience and you will only have 10 days after the EUC clears to get it. Also don't forget the added costs of the 10% buyer's premium, possibly paying sales tax twice and the expense of getting it home.

In other words, don't get excited and pay full retail. :)