• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Buzzer with volume control?

spankybear

First off I believe mine is dead as it seems someone shoved something into it. I have also noticed than every one I have seen has tape covering it.

Anyway in my search I have found a couple of replacements that have adjustable shutter over the top. This acts as a volume control.

I think this would be close to the original that has the volume control. Problem is I can not find stock anywhere.

I found this unit here that I can find stock. Unlike the one above it beep instead of a warble.
https://www.floydbell.com/parts/MBV09530SFD There is a sample of the tones in the link.

This one has a faster beep https://www.floydbell.com/parts/MBV09530SUD

I think I will order the one above since I can find stock. I also think I will swap the wires to make the low air beep instead of continuous. I think this maybe less annoying.

They also have ones that just have one tone. If you don't want to keep the troop seat switch thingy I would recommend the chine tone

Has anyone else tried this?

Kbarnes0

Mine has a cap from a aerosol can. Like brake clean. I haven't messed with it but it's still pretty loud. I know I wouldn't want it any louder.

Thanks for the links

shotty

It goes off once the air tanks reach the appropriate pressure for operation.
I understand that, but the buzzer blaring for two minutes everytime you start the truck is a little excessive. Of course there's no air pressure at the moment. Now if it starts blaring while you're driving you know you have a problem.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I understand that, but the buzzer blaring for two minutes everytime you start the truck is a little excessive. Of course there's no air pressure at the moment. Now if it starts blaring while you're driving you know you have a problem.
Your truck should hold air pressure for over 24hrs just fine. If not then you need to address the issues. . It should hold for even a week on a good system. My 1083 holds full tanks for around 5 days.

You should start the truck and be doing a walk around inspection while its blaring anyway

You would be hard pressed on the older m939s that the buzzer blares for low air and when the parking brake is on so basically it is on till you start moving

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hi shotty,

I hate that buzzing sound as much as the next guy but I have to agree with simp5782 that while all that noise is happening is prime time to do your walk around inspection. Generally speaking, I fire my truck up, check to see that I have oil pressure and fuel showing on the gauges - then hop out of the truck. It is definitely worth investigating why you have zero air after sitting overnight. In my case I discovered a pinhole in an air tank. Posted some information here: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/your-5-ton-the-spring-brake-tank-and-rust-my-m936.196699/

If you have an air compressor, the cheapest and safest way to inspect your truck for air leaks is to attach a Glad Hand to an air hose, then to your truck. Chock the wheels on BOTH SIDES so nothing stupid happens. Then, with the power plant not running and air in the system - possibly you will hear a leak. Attach to the front of your truck on the drivers side (red) "supply" glad hand. That will charge your air tanks.

Glad Hand, Hose & Air Chuck.jpg Gladhand.jpg

There are all sorts of possible leak points. Air in the tanks will help you discover line leaks. Under the truck, under the hood, and behind the dash. Then there are the "other leaks" that only happen when you put your foot on the brake peddle. A valve gets actuated when that happens and another group of air lines get pumped up with air...

Using a spray bottle with some dish soap (Dawn?) and water mix sprayed on the lines and fittings will find those that your ears might miss. Don't be bashful... Spray everywhere you see a plastic line. even the metal boxes they connect to.

Remember, when these trucks were built YEARS ago that plastic line was new and fresh. Over the years heat and age have done their worst. Plastic doesn't like heat or sunlight - and these MV's have 20, 30, 40 or more years on them... The hose material is amazingly cheap. Local truck parts distributor here in town sells 1/2" in any amount you want for about $1.25 per foot to anybody that walks in off the street (a one hundred foot roll is $125) and if you have an account it is about 25% less.

shotty

Guess I'm coming from the current state of affairs in the army where they mandate we drain the tanks every time we park it, so every damn time we start it off it goes a'blarin! If we were permitted to leave the tanks full then it would be much less of an issue.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Guess I'm coming from the current state of affairs in the army where they mandate we drain the tanks every time we park it, so every damn time we start it off it goes a'blarin! If we were permitted to leave the tanks full then it would be much less of an issue.
Should only be draining the wet tank anyway. Tis its purpose.

The bigger military trucks all have auto drains on their wet tank that drain water every time the purge valve cycles

spankybear

I for got to say that the buzzers are 2 tone. One is a continuous beep and the other is intermittent . I swapped the wires to make it beep intermittently. So now the troop seat alert is the continues tone .

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So guys... I have a question: I saw mention of draining the air tanks at shutdown. That is a grand idea. Especially in a cold climate where frozen condensate in a tank "freezes" your ability to go...

What happens if you need to move out in a hurry? In the days of old with hydraulic brakes you jump in the truck, hit the switch, throw it in gear and go!

Should I presume that in a combat zone the air would NOT be drained from the tanks?

Third From Texas

Should I presume that in a combat zone the air would NOT be drained from the tanks?
Not intentionally while on a patrol or convoy, I would think.

That's silliness for back a base. Heh

You drain them of air to prevent water from condensing in the wet tank/system. I't not going to hurt things to let them sit for a few days even in the most humid of climates. But draining air from a compressor tank is SOP for any/all compressors, etc.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What happens if a guy is hearing impaired? I smell a change coming.

Taking that power source for the buzzer to a big red light on the dash would sure be less annoying. Is there some kind of legislation that states it needs to be audible? If it is law then I'd suggest that needs to be changed and we eliminate the noise, for the good of the greater public. Dashboard distractions need to be handy. Trying to focus on the needle on a gauge while 'flying the plane' should be a thing of the past.

If a driver isn't watching his gauges and starts loosing air in a down grade situation.....with the stereo blaring......A big red flashing disk on the dash with the pressure indicated would catch someone's attentions earlier. The buzzer doesn't go off in the M135 until 60psi is found.....and that's supposed to be enough to safely stop the truck and investigate.......cool. In the 'modern' truck.......isn't that the point of 'detonation'?

From door chimers to seat belt dingers, back up warnings, lane departure warnings, low windshield washer fluid beepers and low air buzzers....the noise is deafening and doesn't do anything to help the hearing impaired.

Manufacturers take notice.......if we see dummy lights going in as indicators for different automotive warnings.........some plowboy from Canada said it first.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks