• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

By-by CUCV, hello HMMVW!

LabandCitori525

After a year with the 87' Chevy CUCV I signed her away. Since its the end of hunting season here in California I figured it would be the perfect moment to start on 1 of 5 m1025 acquired in the early 90's. So I say goodbye to the CUCV forum and hello to all in the HMMWV. Were located at a museum in Chino, California called Yanks Air I encourage all to come in and check out the planes and workshop. Maybe give some pointers on HMMWV restoration. They're in pretty rough shape, that's why we have five. I started the project originally in the early 2000's and have one ready to turn over. Its time to plug in the PCB unit, battery, belts, and fuel, probably this weekend. Any tips and or cautions would greatly be appreciated. Stay tuned for updates!

Last edited:

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome.....
If you need help or parts, I'm up the road from you guys about 70 miles.
Greg

LabandCitori525

Thanks 86humv, I will definitely be in touch. It seems all the local contacts I had during my first attempt at the Humvee have all set up shop elsewhere or have gone. Im in the search for an alternator and PCB box. maybe a soft top, and if possible hard doors but i'm not sure if my model is compatible. Pics will be up Friday when I get her pulled out and dusted off. I found out recently the truck that I have is the m1038 and the other 4 are 1025's but are in very poor condition.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have alternators, PCB's, soft top, some hard doors.
I'm interested in the 1025's you have.

LabandCitori525

Ok guys I was so busy cleaning so I really didn't get a ton of pics Ill do some more tomorrow. She is an 86 m1038, paperwork says something about an officer or general. I was surprised to find that under the 15 years of dust and dirt that she was in pretty good shape gotta love CARC. There is also very few odds and ends missing besides the majors i.e. alternator, pcb, starter. It really was like finding a new truck under there lol. Sure does kick the **** out of the old blazer though. Also found a new set of wheels with run-flats and whole sets of misc. lights, brackets, dipp cans, and cigarette butts. Ugh, power stearing pump left open but covered, and somebody left the soft top and its completely dilapidated. Other than that I think I can have her bolted and ready to turn by next weekend if I can get the parts. So when these guys meet GSA im guessing they get robbed of valuables? Hmmm cant wait to hit up Mojave, any other cool unknowns? IMG_20131213_122708_310.jpg

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ditch the 8 bolt rims and bias tires. Go with 12 bolts and radials. It will drive much better. What paperwork do you have with it? Looks pretty nice. All major parts are there.

LabandCitori525

I haven't gone through all the tires yet but the boss says theres a brand new set in storage, that's "boss" for your climbing around in there to dig them out bud. We have the original bill of sale from DRMO in Barstow, CA. I only glanced at it. The guys are saying because of its year, and it previously being street legal, registration should be a breeze. And yes, most of its there and then some.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will need an SF97 to get title....plus I don't ever remember DRMO selling complete trucks....ever.Only the private auctions in 99 in riverside,Atlanta and I think Texas.
You say it was previously street legal? Not sure what you mean....

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do see you guys are a museum , that in fact can get trucks this way I do beleive...but be careful, it's my understanding that anything going to a museum can in fact still belong to Uncle Sam....

LabandCitori525

Had to order up a new alternator went with 80amp due to lack of accessories, battery box alterations, gauge cluster installed, fluids flushed and filled (clean, no metal flake or carbon), seats and cushions in the mail. Looking for mirrors, female seatbelt receptacles, 1 3-point harness, rear driver-side backrest...Took a chance on an ebay PCB, can someone give me the heads up in this unit? Is it a voltage regulator for the glow plugs? Having trouble finding the answer im looking for with the yellow label/red label units and w/w.o. modules. Will post pics tomorrow.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had to order up a new alternator went with 80amp due to lack of accessories, battery box alterations, gauge cluster installed, fluids flushed and filled (clean, no metal flake or carbon), seats and cushions in the mail. Looking for mirrors, female seatbelt receptacles, 1 3-point harness, rear driver-side backrest...Took a chance on an ebay PCB, can someone give me the heads up in this unit? Is it a voltage regulator for the glow plugs? Having trouble finding the answer im looking for with the yellow label/red label units and w/w.o. modules. Will post pics tomorrow.
I tried calling you....I sent you a PM

LabandCitori525

I have a valid question I cant find a straight answer to in the manual or on the internet. I accidentally smoked the PCB. The truth is I wasn't sure if I had the correct one in the first place. My question is "What PCB do I need?" Its a 1986 m1038 with the glow plug sending unit, and relay module. Black with yellow sticker, green with orange? I understand they have different features and may require a bypass of the GPC, I want to plug it in and turn the rotary wait ten seconds and turn it over. Any help would greatly be appreciated, Thanks fellas, Casey

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks