• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

bypass filter systems

res0wc18

hello all was wondering if any of you had experience with the bypass filter systems available, more so the frantz system. I found a local company that has them for dirt cheap and was wondering what the actual filtration ratings are for these things using some regular non fragerance 2 ply scott tp. Any one have experience? Also i have heard of some mods people do with extra brass screens so that no loose toilet paper can flow out? The one i will be buying is the most current model number 2000.

parker

look at these it will explain the mods.
http://www.powerstrokedatabase.com/read.php?id=24

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
As far as I know there is no one currently here is running a bypass filter system even though it has been talked about a bunch in many many many threads. I could be wrong though. Most of the discussion has been about deuce upgrades. I have a TP filter like this that I picked up in some long past auction that I am going to use for my shop air compressor, and the design looks good. One thing that I remember about these is that they don't use the fluffy soft on you butt TP. This is the stuff your employer buys to save a few dollars, and qualifies as sandpaper. So what is a good price on these, as I am interested in buying a bypass filter to install?

CCATLETT1984

i would go with a glass media filter for a bypass, you get much finer filtration. some amsoil filters are good to 1micron (3 micron absolute)

you can get a whole amsoil kit for ~$150. then you just have to figure out where to mount it and where you will be drawing pressure from and returning the oil to.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: bypass filter systems

Correct, the addition of the bypass filter gives you cleaner oil without changing the original design goals.

res0wc18

RE: Re: RE: bypass filter systems

even 201 dollars is way more than what i am being offerend even for two kits and shipping. Has any body used these frantz filter kits before? What do they actually filter down to?

res0wc18

so you dont think there a good idea? or just the toliet paper ones. my friend bought a fs2500 and loves it, but then again unless someone knows where to get one real cheap, ya know.

JasonS

I was going to add a long-winded reply but the last link said it all.

I would like to add that water and oil will create acid and if you don't change the oil or at least get it analyzed you risk damage. One of my OA331s was rebuilt by the county shop for snow plow service. One of the "mechanics" blocked off the PCV inlet. Well, in time, the water built up causing the rocker arm to rust up, the oil became acidic, and the bearings were eaten away. They looked like a sponge where the bearing material was eaten away. The bearings were not worn into the copper.

CCATLETT1984

res0wc18 said:
so you dont think there a good idea? or just the toliet paper ones. my friend bought a fs2500 and loves it, but then again unless someone knows where to get one real cheap, ya know.
bypass filters are the best thing you can do for your engine to protect from soot and particulates. BUT YOU NEED TO USE A FILTER MEDIA, NOT something designed to wipe up POO!!!!

I will be adding either a FS2500 or an Amsoil bypass filter on my truck very soon and will post my oil test results.

Westech

CPL
are you nuts? TP!!!! I have seen what TP does in the filter housing first hand. It brakes up in to little bits, and anyone who tells me "o I have done it, it works great" is just as crazy. The paper fibers will settel in the lifter vally, oil pan, any little sliver or bump in the motor and clog it up. use the correct filter please!!! the paper is not woven to stand up to liquid and will start to fall apart.. little fiber by little fiber.

Westech

CPL
This was taken off of "oil guard" and if you look at there filters its a tightly woven "string" just like the OE fuel filters for the deuce. There very hard to find the Old stock string ones but they work.

Filter Element Replacement Cost – Yes a roll of toilet paper or a roll of paper towels is cheaper than an OilGuard element. But these items were not designed or manufactured to be oil filters. You wouldn’t use a high quality OilGuard element to dry off your hands or take care of your bathroom business, and there is no reason why you should use a common roll of paper towels or toilet paper to filter your oil and protect your expensive engine.

The filtration engineering and quality standards that go into every OilGuard filter made, are not even considered by the manufactures of toilet paper and paper towels. The paper quality is not intended to hold up to the combination of heat, pressure and loading of oil contamination.

Why OilGuard is Superior:
OilGuard provides a specifically engineered system of filtration and filter elements that were designed for the task of filtering oil to 1 micron.

OilGuard's patented element is guaranteed to deliver both reliability and performance at a cost lower than many other types of bypass filters. Each size is priced dramatically less than elements used by other types of bypass filters.

Problems with Commercially Available
Toilet Paper or Paper Towel Rolls Bypass Filters

This category is suseptible to each of the above problems. Additionally, tissue manufacturers DO NOT design these rolls with the necessary tension and dimensional control required to be a filter. Simply put, it is not recommended to utilize a product for something other than its original purpose.
The paper quality is not intended to hold up to the combination of heat, pressure and loading of oil contamination.

running one now...

i installed an amsoil unit a short while after i purchased the truck.havn't put much more than a couple thou miles on it yet.i don't really bother whith oil testing.i just wanted it to take care of the majority of soot and maybe some water and acids in the oil.

i'd say it's worth it,as i noticed right away the lack of any really large soot particles in the oil.oil still turns dark,but nothing near what youd normally get in an older "loose" diesel like a 6.2.these engines have lots of blow-by at the rings.tolerances are not very tight at all.

i'd have gotten an oil guard if i could have found a local supplier.i like the filter design.currently i'm running an older amsoil fiber media bypass filter,but i'm soon to switch to a newer nano filter.i currently run these new filters as primary,with the old style bypass as seconary.I definitly DO NOT recomend using a loose paper media as a filter set up.cheap,yes...but in the long run i think it's a mistake.

it was an easy install.i tapped supply off the oil sampling line,and returned through a valve cover.i mounted the filter where the old DUVAC used to be before i removed it.

Attachments