• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bypassing the Gen 2 Light (12v conversion)

redwolf3

Hey guys-
Well, in my quest to perform some upgrades while fixing some issues on the M1009, I ran into a question/issue. From reading around, it sounds like the "Gen 1" and "Gen 2" lights serve an integral in the charging system of the Stock M1009. In my case, I have converted from 24v to 12v, but I believe that the Gen 2 light is still required for proper operation of the alternator and charging system.

What I'm wondering is, how can I disable this requirement on the Gen 2 light? My plan at this point is to replace the Gen 2 Light with a 12v Voltmeter. I do actually want to keep the red dummy light on, but I plan to change it from a big blaring light, to a small, red LED which I will embed in the gauge panel so that I still have bright red warnings, but I also have a more usable gauge.

As a side note, I plan to do something else with the current military Voltmeter location, so I won't be re-installing the Voltmeter.

Thanks for any of you gurus who can help me with this.

CCATLETT1984

the only thing that the light does is offer some resistance on the line to excite the alternator. most civilian setups use a resistor on the wire at the alternator instead of relying on the light.

redwolf3

So, I should be fine with something like a 1 Watt Resistor in parallel with the LED, that way if the LED fails, the resistor still puts enough of a load to keep it excited?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks