• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

C-5 Galaxy

gunboy1656

Most comfortable flight I ever had was a C-17 from Kyrgzstan to Germany. We had one baggage pallet and about 40 pax. All of us sprawled out on the floor sleeping must have looked funny. It sure beat getting packed into airline type seats, on a seat pallet or like sardines on a commercial bird.
We did the same thing flying from Louisiana to Kuwait, best sleep I ever had on a plane. All they put in for us was the canvas seats, no pallet seats, no airline seats.

I just put my CD player in my ears and went to sleep, when I did wake up. There was about 6 people sleeping in the seats, everyone else was on the floor.

Only C5s and 141's I have seen were at airshows.

adrianspeeder

I'll reserve some of my comments about fat freddy, but will say she does make ya earn your paycheck in maintenance. Part of the lucky list that moved to C-17's at Dover and it's amazing the differences in the airframe. Only problem is Fred keeps following me around on my deployments and breaking as per usual. Not too many things about it are "easy" to do either. Shoot, even the tow bar is out of control clumsy.

Also I'll throw on here some pictures of the C-5'ski or AN-124. That plane is just scary. We did an international assist of a tire change on one last year in the desert. First off when I looked at the plane, it seemed to me all the tires needed to be changed according to our cut and wear limits, but there was a flat one the Russians were actually gonna swap out. Next plane comin' in brought a new tire. And that's it. Not a premounted wheel tire combo, so we were dumbfounded watching a group of guys take the old one off the plane, take apart the rim, mount the tire, and roll the old bad tire off the edge of our ramp out into the sand. Anyway, so I come over with a tire servicing kit, and called AGE to bring out a nitrogen cart for them. Trying to figure out what pressure they needed took some language barrier work, but got it filled up and handshakes all around. Most of all it amazed me the low budget ingenuity that gets that Russian bird off the ground.

I'll stick with my C-17s though...

Adrianspeeder

Attachments

williamwerner326

I'll reserve some of my comments about fat freddy, but will say she does make ya earn your paycheck in maintenance. Part of the lucky list that moved to C-17's at Dover and it's amazing the differences in the airframe. Only problem is Fred keeps following me around on my deployments and breaking as per usual. Not too many things about it are "easy" to do either. Shoot, even the tow bar is out of control clumsy.

Also I'll throw on here some pictures of the C-5'ski or AN-124. That plane is just scary. We did an international assist of a tire change on one last year in the desert. First off when I looked at the plane, it seemed to me all the tires needed to be changed according to our cut and wear limits, but there was a flat one the Russians were actually gonna swap out. Next plane comin' in brought a new tire. And that's it. Not a premounted wheel tire combo, so we were dumbfounded watching a group of guys take the old one off the plane, take apart the rim, mount the tire, and roll the old bad tire off the edge of our ramp out into the sand. Anyway, so I come over with a tire servicing kit, and called AGE to bring out a nitrogen cart for them. Trying to figure out what pressure they needed took some language barrier work, but got it filled up and handshakes all around. Most of all it amazed me the low budget ingenuity that gets that Russian bird off the ground.

I'll stick with my C-17s though...

Adrianspeeder
Ha that one pic is in the wash rack (or fuel cell???)! Ive been there:)

adrianspeeder

Wash rack. CE had a leaky fire sprinkler pipe that had been dripping for quite some time as the rust spot on the floor was pretty big. But who cares, it's the wash rack. Anyway there was a change of command, and some genious's idea to hold it in the wash rack with the stage right under the big ole drip. CE's JLG had no chance of fixin' that one, so they called us to use our Condor. So thats me with the Condor at full extension helpin' a plumber change a rubber seal. You know your high when looking DOWN onto a C5 Ttail 30 ft below you.

Adrianspeeder

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I remember the C5's taking off from the airfield here at Ft Benning. From my house we could hear them and i would tell the wife it's a C5....she would always say it sounds like it's gonna blow up...LOL...but her statement is true!!!

Nonotagain

I remember the C5's taking off from the airfield here at Ft Benning. From my house we could hear them and i would tell the wife it's a C5....she would always say it sounds like it's gonna blow up...LOL...but her statement is true!!!
Papabear, the C5 in that video is a repowered B model.

The company that I work for makes the engines and nacelle for it.

The older A model used an engine called the TF-39, rather old tech as compared to what's available today. The repower transplants the commercial CF6-80C engine which has a whole lot more thrust, up to 68,500 lbs, uses less fuel, cleaner environmentally, and is a lot easier to work on.

It's rare that I have much good to say about my employer (a long story) , but in this case, they did good.

williamwerner326

Wash rack. CE had a leaky fire sprinkler pipe that had been dripping for quite some time as the rust spot on the floor was pretty big. But who cares, it's the wash rack. Anyway there was a change of command, and some genious's idea to hold it in the wash rack with the stage right under the big ole drip. CE's JLG had no chance of fixin' that one, so they called us to use our Condor. So thats me with the Condor at full extension helpin' a plumber change a rubber seal. You know your high when looking DOWN onto a C5 Ttail 30 ft below you.

Adrianspeeder
Sweeeeet. I remember one late night removing stuck screws from the PTA panel, we dropped a radio off the T-tail in the wash rack. That mammy jammy disintegrated when it hit the concrete. Lucky no one caught it in the head:)

adrianspeeder

I've dropped a Dewalt rechargeable drill type flashlight from a 17 Ttail. Thing exploded into 13 pieces, but we were able to put it back together if you held it right. Funny turnin' it back in and when the CTK guy picked it up, having it fall apart.

So will, yer a metals tech guy? I got some stuck screws....

Adrianspeeder

Pappa-G

I was stationed at Mcguire AFB from 86-90 as a C-141 crewchief for the 238th OMS. I worked Transiant Alert for two years and we had a C5 out of Dover doing touch and gos when it did a left down wind into a flock of geese. Lost #1 and had to shut down #3 due to bad vibration. Beat the **** out of the leftwing leading edge. 3 weeks later it was repaired and gone home.
During "REFORGER" in '87 (I think) I was in Frankfort Germany and they ( the c-5 maint guys) had replaced an engine on a Galaxy. During the initial runups a fellow was riding a ramp bike crossing like 3 parking spots behind the Fred when it spooled up to TRT. The poor sob on the bike went flying off the bike and rolled for like 30 yards. I laughed so hard I thought I would crap my drawers! I always enjoyed working on the Lockheed Aircraft.

fireball

Tire story reminded me of Wilbur Mills who told the crowd who watched a wheel fall off a C5 on its maiden flight; " Don't worry about that tire, that's why we put 28 of them on there"

Whatever did happen to Fanne Foxe?

williamwerner326

I've dropped a Dewalt rechargeable drill type flashlight from a 17 Ttail. Thing exploded into 13 pieces, but we were able to put it back together if you held it right. Funny turnin' it back in and when the CTK guy picked it up, having it fall apart.

So will, yer a metals tech guy? I got some stuck screws....

Adrianspeeder
Sure was mtech, loved that job! Stuck screws were out bread and butter there, that a/c was loaded with'em. As for your CTK guy, well at least he got the drill back and an engine didnt get to eat it. Got force cross trained into manpower, sux. Miss Dover too, scott is so overpopulated and dont really dig the mountainless terrain. Orignially from PA

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks