• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

C.A.R.C paint and a wire wheel

red99

I am new to military vehicles and had no clue about the hazards of CARC paint. I just finished wire wheeling some Humvee wheels I purchased for my M715 project. I did wear a simple dust mask while I was working on them but am worried now that that might have not been adequate. Please advise on the issues of short term and long term exposure to CARC dust. I wire wheeled 4 wheels.

Thanks to everyone ahead of time.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I dry sanded an entire HMMWV 20 years ago with no PPE at all and I am still alive and kickin'.

KansasBobcat

Probably not much to do at this time except avoid doing the wire brushing/dry sanding in the future. I wet sanded wearing nitrile gloves and paint mask. Adherent CARC is a good base for paint and you do not need to sand down to bare metal.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A one time, low level exposure almost certainly won't cause any problems. If you worked on this stuff all day every day then it would be a bit bigger deal.

Though I advocate the use of an N95 mask any time there's particulates flying.

On the list of exposures to worry about, the CARC dust generated by wire brushing 4 wheels probably doesn't rate in the top 20.

MtnSnow

Exactly....Now we are told Bacon, Ham, Sausage and red meat is going to give us cancer....O-well at least I will die enjoying life and Bacon and Steaks!

Probably not much to do at this time except avoid doing the wire brushing/dry sanding in the future. I wet sanded wearing nitrile gloves and paint mask. Adherent CARC is a good base for paint and you do not need to sand down to bare metal.
i plan on wire wheeling loose paint and rust then spraying a primer over that area. Is that a good method?

MtnSnow

Yes it works just as good as any other method. Just take some precautions to prevent inhaling dust particles.

SteveKuhn

Also not a bad idea to wear a set of clothes for the job then take them off and wash separately. If you're working in the driveway, hose off the debris in the direction of the neighbor who gives you trouble about parking your truck.

Steve

KansasBobcat

i plan on wire wheeling loose paint and rust then spraying a primer over that area. Is that a good method?
Another option is a needle scaler which does not seem to throw the chips far. For areas that have rusted (frame, bumpers, etc) I have used Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator followed by primer and then paint. Over 2 years and no rust through on treated areas.

Csm Davis

The needle scaler is a great way to go on these old trucks it makes less fine dust and doesn't tear off as much metal, it also knocks rust loose and finds the rust through spots better in my opinion, your mileage may vary.
Once or twice small exposure, because you had on a dust mask, should not hurt you anymore that other things you are exposed to everyday.

KansasBobcat

With needle scaler, you need mask, eye and ear protection. It is really loud especially inside a trailer bed or vehicle. I bought one with pistol grip as it looked more comfortable to hold for a period of time. It requires 90 PSI. Can't believe I did not buy one sooner!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks