• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

C Turbo questions

coeder

My buddies truck has a c turbo that I would like to put on my truck. His truck runs great but smokes while cruising at 58mph. Before I install his c turbo on my truck is there something I should look for? The smoke could be from the turbo?
Also, if anyone has a C turbo for sale that is in good shape please Pm me. I would like to have one on my truck.:)

grounded

Banned
check the shaft on the inside of the turbo see if its wiggles or is tight. if it dont wiggle its good to go. There is a member on here i think that will rebuild them for a resonable price (Cant think of name right now)

Rolling_Eudaimonia

Why do you want the C-Turbo? Personally I would want a bigger turbo and waste-gate variable preferred because it is well great to be able to alter-boost from say 5psi up to a cylinder crushing 60psi... Fun for about 30 seconds before it goes boom! But 15psi might be nice to have at times.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It has to have some "wiggle" If not it won't run long after it heats up. Pull the intake elbow off from the turbo to the intake manafold. If there is oil in there then it's gonna need some help. Pull the intake hose from the air cleaner to the turbo off. Using your finger push the shaft twards the engine block. Then try turning it with pressure still on it. If it drags the housing then it's wasted and won't run much longer.

grounded

Banned
:popcorn:

Rolling is anyone allowed to keep there engines stock? I imagine hes going for the sound of it and thats it. Most of us on here like to just keep our trucks stock, and simple and have some fun. VS going all out and trying to use all modern stuff. (but trust me ive thought about a 12v built for a deuce :evil:)

Rolling_Eudaimonia

:popcorn:

Rolling is anyone allowed to keep there engines stock? I imagine hes going for the sound of it and thats it. Most of us on here like to just keep our trucks stock, and simple and have some fun. VS going all out and trying to use all modern stuff. (but trust me ive thought about a 12v built for a deuce :evil:)
12V as in 12v71 or 12volt becuase I think the 12v71 series is bit too big for the M35. The stock setup is fine but remember these parts are not exactly a bottomless production. I think we have to consider that if you want to use your truck alot you have to sacrifice some of the stock-features for greater ability of parts.

mudguppy

he means 12-valve cummins (5.9). they are commonly referred to as
  • 1st gen ('89-'93)
  • 12-valve 2nd gen ('94-'98 )
  • 24-valve 2nd gen ('98.5-'02)
  • 3rd gen common-rail motors ('03-'07).

grounded

Banned
12v as in 12 valve CUMMINS! All the truck can ever handle. And will fit perfect.

well alot of us use our trucks on a regular basis and the bone stock setup is perfectly fine. But not getting into a pissing match over whats what this is a hobby. And everything is everyones choice and the point of this thread is chuck is looking for the "C" turbo just cause he wants that lovely sound it makes. Other then that there is no point in any of these other post in this thread other then bumping it for him ;)

Rolling_Eudaimonia

he means 12-valve cummins (5.9). they are commonly referred to as
  • 1st gen ('89-'93)
  • 12-valve 2nd gen ('94-'98 )
  • 24-valve 2nd gen ('98.5-'02)
  • 3rd gen common-rail motors ('03-'07).

I was thinking maybe but usually I put Cummins 12v or 5.9l 12V... So when I think of the 12V it is also the Detroit Diesel 12v series. Which a 12v71 if it could fit would be a great engine.

mudguppy

i wouldn't think the front end would like the additional 3000lbs of weight. forget trying to turn it.

i'd go pre-DDEC 8v92ta rated at 440hp. still going to be an additional 1500lbs, though...

mudguppy

... the point of this thread is chuck is looking for the "C" turbo just cause he wants that lovely sound it makes. Other then that there is no point in any of these other post in this thread other then bumping it for him ;)
good point, my appologies to the OP.

i believe that the C turbo can be the best of both worlds - it has the whistle plus it'll handle more fuel (not more fuel than other turbos, just that it can handle a bit more than stock fuel). if one were to turn up the fuel a bit, you will, as a by-product, develop more boost and power.

and who can argue about loving that c-turbo sound... maybe w/ a small muffler, but how i love the whistle!!

Rolling_Eudaimonia

i wouldn't think the front end would like the additional 3000lbs of weight. forget trying to turn it.

i'd go pre-DDEC 8v92ta rated at 440hp. still going to be an additional 1500lbs, though...
You know what might fit nicely in the engine compartment, a TD2015 V6 from Deutz. It is very compact makes 483hp and 1584ft-lbs of torque. The problem would be mating it to a tranny that can handle that much torque and power how to far you can move the transfer case and so on. But that would be a nice little engine it.