• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

"C" Turbo Seals

SasquatchSanta

This morning I noticed a couple of dried black oil stains on my turbo. Note the two long black lines on the intake side of the turbo. I should note that the two oil streaks are not bad enough to drip off the bottom of the turbo

We pulled the elbow casting that goes between the turbo and intake manifold. It was tacky to the touch on the bottom end with black gunk. The top area where it goes into the intake manifold was almost clean but still a little stained with black.

When I installed the turbo (approximately 300 miles ago) it spun freely and didn't show any signs on end-play. The engine doesn't seem to be using any oil.

Do the turbo seals tend to weep a little or do I have seal problems?

If I have seal problem is there a serious danger that the seal/s could rapidly let go and cause a run-away? What is normal?

I've got a couple of Parades coming up that will require a total of 300 miles driving before it will be convenient to swap out the turbo. I've got a D-turbo but I'd rather use the C for the parades.

Any insight would be appreciated. My main concern is a run-away.

Thanks

Attachments

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It could be leftover oil from the repair. Usually we use light oil and only a little bit. Some people put lots of oil in the components. It can also be from a plugged filter. Dry, sticky oil is usually evidence of the turbo trying to suck from an alternative source if the inlet restriction is high, or the rebuild oil being cooked and pushed out the compressor housing. Try taking the compressor outlet off, spraying brake clean down the outlet, start it with your hand and a rag over the outlet to catch the cleaner. It will dry out when you start it. Then let it idle a bit and see if more oil shows up. If it comes back, seals are failed. If not, just leftovers. Check the filter.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's way too much oil! Are you driving it hard enough for it to get the turbo hot? It's not going to seal if your driving it too easy. It has to heat up and expand to seal. You also need to tighten or replace your outlet coupling. Your loosing boost air. If oil can get out so can the air. If your getting it hot. I wouldn't worry to much about the seal rapidly failing. Because it already has! You might want to check the turbine side for oil also. I'd bet it's in the same shape.

SasquatchSanta

I removed the tube that goes between the air breather canister and the turbo inlet and checked the spool for end play of roughness. The bearings feel good. There wasn't any sticky oil on the inlet turbo blades that I could access via the tube opening. I put it back together and tightened and re-tightened all the clamps.

As far at temperature goes --- I don't drive this truck a lot but when I do it rund between 195 and 200.

Ken --- PM sent.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks