• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

C7 drive belt info

wehring

Hey folks. Broke a bolt on the idler pulley and cut the drive belt. Took a lot of pics and have some good repair info. Will post info this weekend.

Justin Wehring

wehring

Belt info

Ok folks. Here is the info. THIS APPLIES TO THE C7 ENGINE WITH 100 AMP ALT AND NO A/C....

I recently had a Cat tech that is familiar with LMTVs come out for some service. He noticed that the belt routing was incorrect and moved the idler pulley to the correct location. I was driving last week and the no charge light came on. Lifted the cab and saw that the idler pulley was gone and the belt was broken. The rotation of the idler pulley is "with" the threads of the bolt so I knew that the bolt had not backed out.

The problem: After looking into it, the bolt that was used for the pulley was too long and bottomed out against the head before the pulley was tight. Look at the picture of the bolt and you can see the end is flat with yellow paint on it from the head. This made the bolt take a side load and it broke. The supplied bolt with the new pulley is a grade 5 metric 8.8

The belt: I looked for a replacement belt (K080775) but it is a restricted number from Gates. It is 8 groove 77 1/2" in length. The number I bought was K080774. It is used on Ford engines that have an aftermarket blower so Jegs, Summit, Oreilly and NAPA carry it in stock. It is 1/4" longer than the original belt. The picture of the K080775 "original" belt is from my other C7 LMTV. The broken belt could not be read.

Hope this helps.

Justin Wehring

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks