• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CA title

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure the purpose of the post .
Allot of people in Ca. have HMMWV's with Street legal titles.
What exactly are you trying to say from Texas ?
I was under the impression that it was very difficult to impossible to get title/tags for a HMMWV in the People's Republic of California!

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pinzgauers, Unimogs and just about anything else has never been trouble in Texas.

MATACA!!!

ikoinu

The ones already titled in CA from years ago are fine...None can be titled there now.
See above. This is unfortunately incorrect. The chp is actively removing road legal registration and reissuing off road only titles.
I personally have had enough of the authoritarianism and high taxes, and am removing myself and my family from the state tax base.
California itself is a beautiful place, it's a damn shame.

BLK HMMWV

See above. This is unfortunately incorrect. The chp is actively removing road legal registration and reissuing off road only titles.
I personally have had enough of the authoritarianism and high taxes, and am removing myself and my family from the state tax base.
Why do you say his information is incorrect?
Who's HMMWV has been removed of it's road legal status from the original batch of HMMWV's sold at auction back in the 90's ?
This is news to me!!
I'd be interested in more information.
Are you speaking of your own experience ? or others?
When did you buy yours?
When did you register it?

Was it already in Calif. when you bought it?
Did it have a California Title?
Was it already plated in Calif. when you bought it?

Or was it something that someone tried to basically wash the off highway use only SF97 it came with in some kind of workaround ?

I've never hear of anyone loosing their registration on a HMMWV in California from the original auction .

Last edited:

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
When did the CHP start becoming the issuing agency of titles and registrations?

I get one might not be happy with crazy CA... BUT don't blow the rest of us UP after crossing the bridge. 💥 That's just irresponsible to those stuck here, and the hobby. You can take that crap with you.

Could poster above put forth some facts....... Show us your source..... and answer the questions put forth by BLK HMMWV.

Holding down the fort, CAMO

ikoinu

My own.
Second owner, first got it from auction and legally titled it in California. Road title, chp blue tag. Ventura County.

I owned it for 2 years, chp put a hold on the title because it was legally parked at a grocery store. They said that because of AM General's letter to all states, Hmmwvs are illegal in California. No wiggle room.

Was told I had to flatbed the truck in to chp to have them issue a off road only title. I did not comply. It will be flatbed'd out of state.

Obviously this is only one example, mileage may vary.

ikoinu

When did the CHP start becoming the issuing agency of titles and registrations?

I get one might not be happy with crazy CA... BUT don't blow the rest of us UP after crossing the bridge. 💥 That's just irresponsible to those stuck here, and the hobby. You can take that crap with you.

Could poster above put forth some facts....... Show us your source..... and answer the questions put forth by BLK HMMWV.

Holding down the fort, CAMO
What are you talking about? Irresponsible? For stating actual fact?
You are welcome to your opinion. But remember, it's an opinion, with absolutely no knowledge of the situation.

Mine is experience. Hopefully it is only one instance.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Tha
My own.
Second owner, first got it from auction and legally titled it in California. Road title, chp blue tag. Ventura County.

I owned it for 2 years, chp put a hold on the title because it was legally parked at a grocery store. They said that because of AM General's letter to all states, Hmmwvs are illegal in California. No wiggle room.

Was told I had to flatbed the truck in to chp to have them issue a off road only title. I did not comply. It will be flatbed'd out of state.

Thanks for the story. I am not going to jump in and dispute it. I will do my own fact checking, related to your story, with LEO and DMV. So far this is the first I have heard of anyone being called out. Others might pile in and comment or pile right in behind you to the state line.

These touchy times, require some tactical fact checking.

Might have to get out the "CONVOY AHEAD" sign, CAMO

Last edited:

BLK HMMWV

My own.

First off sorry you had your title revoked/ changed.
So just to be clear. You are the second owner.?
The first owner you bought the truck from bought the truck at the first auction and registered / and plated it for on highway use.
You transferred owner ship of said vehicle from his name to yours and two years later they came and revoked/ changed your registration paperwork to off highway use only ?

Well your the first that I've heard of that happening to.

ikoinu

Again, your milage may vary.

Hopefully my situation is a one off. I am a first responder, and have good access to law enforcement. The consensus is there are no options, short of legal. Legal action against the state can be very costly, and is often futile without large funding.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks