• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cab canvas and Cargo canvas.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, here goes, I have a 4 color desert camo truck. Got a 4 mo. old OD canvas cab cover, bought new from Addirondak Dodge, and no cargo cover. Looking for a sand or tan set for the bed and cab. Anybody know where I can get them, new or used?

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
First of all - I understand that it is your truck to do with as you like. However, the four-color camo scheme, known as the MERDC (Mobility Equipment Research and Development Center ) was originally intended to have covers PAINTED in camo to match the vehicles. But, a paint for the canvas was never developed, so, the army soldiered on with OD canvas for the duration of the four-color scheme's authorized use. From my research, the colored covers were not introduced to the supply system until after the three color NATO scheme was adopted.

Hope this is at least entertaining.

Regards,
David Doyle

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
First of all - I understand that it is your truck to do with as you like. However, the four-color camo scheme, known as the MERDC (Mobility Equipment Research and Development Center ) was originally intended to have covers PAINTED in camo to match the vehicles. But, a paint for the canvas was never developed, so, the army soldiered on with OD canvas for the duration of the four-color scheme's authorized use. From my research, the colored covers were not introduced to the supply system until after the three color NATO scheme was adopted.

Hope this is at least entertaining.

Regards,
David Doyle

jasonjc

When I was at FT Hood all are truck and tanks were tan but all the covers were green as where all are uniforms. I never did understand that thinking.No wounder I got out.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, it doesn't look bad with the OD cab canvas, I'm trying to imagine what it would look like with the tan. Since it's painted in the same colors as it was when it was still in service with the Army, maybe I should keep the OD stuff? The troop seats were added by me. They are either earth brown or faded OD, can anyone tell me if they should be painted MERDC, left the color they are/were, or painted to match the inside of the bed, which is solid sand? Just trying to keep as close to original...towards it's later life...as possible. Thanks guys!

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Uncle Sugar would have painted the troop seats in the MERDC scheme, when the truck was painted. Spare parts would have likely been semi-gloss OD, and would have been painted to match the truck at the whim of the CO.

Best,
David

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There was a saying in the motorpool. You could always tell how good trucks were maintained as evidenced by the Green parts on the tan trucks. The more green, the better the maintaince...