• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cab Comparisons

Lukes_deuce

I wanted to see what every ones opinions are on the different cabs that are popular on the 5 ton page. Im very familiar with the m813 cab and while functional and easy to work on, not the most comfortable space to in be for long periods.

How does the cab of a 813 compare to a newer 900 series cab or a 916/920 cab? I never spent any time in either so its hard to tell the comfortablility by just looking at pictures. When I get in the truck, its usually for longer periods. Long highway drives and off roading. Let me know your thoughts!

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The biggest difference to me is that it is the M939 or the M916/920 trucks are automatic. I've driven both and another thing is that the transmission tunnel is open on the M809 series for the shifter and the heat from the engine comes right in that hole. Great in the winter, not so much in the summer.

Put nice seats in either and they are both good. IMHO

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M939's are about the same as the M813 cab just a little wider and the batteries are under the passenger seat. Not much fun on a long trip.
I drove a M925A2 about 1100 miles and I was worn out when I got there.
But it all fun!!

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
For working on the engine you can't beat the 900 series.

I've owned both (have an M927A2 now) and standing on your head to work on the engine in an 800 series sucks.

The 900 series rides a lot better too.

I put an aftermarket seat in mine and it made a huge difference in comfort.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My impression (at 6', 190 pounds) is that I have slightly more leg room in the M931's than in the 813. This is mainly due to the automatic versus the standard shift. The window handle of the 931 door is still perfectly placed to hit me on the kneecap.... Having done 400+ mile trips in both, the 931 was more comfortable on the long runs. Noise levels are much lower also.

Having done three 1800+ mile trips in M915s (same cab as 916/920), I can tell you there is a world of difference in comfort driving those over the 5-tons (particularly the one air-conditioned 915...woohoo!). That cab was designed for long-haul driving, of course, and it shows. Except for the stock passenger seat - I haven't tried riding there, but those who did had no words of kindness for that seat (basically a cushion on a metal box). ;)
I can't comment on how the suspension of the all-wheel drive versions would effect the ride.

Cheers

Lukes_deuce

Thanks to all for your input. Im seeing as what is the best route to take in this hobby. I will definitely install an air ride seat in my 813 but that wont change all the other characeristics of the truck. I would like to get some seat time in a M916 to see how it compares. Maybe one day Ill get a M916 for the long trips.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
An air ride seat in a 5 ton is the difference in 400miles a day and 800miles. I can do a full 12hrs in the drivers seat of my 923 without getting out. Only limited by the 12hours of drive time both my tanks allows while towing.

I am 6ft2 and 220lbs and i am comfortable. I even sleep in mine. I had the passengers seat swapped over to memory foam and its also 3 inches wider. I sleep just fine.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

snowtrac nome

the problem I see with both is the cabs don't seal up, I wanted some thing on that platform but, in the end went with the lmtv because I wanted a cab that would seal up. I still remember my national guard days of clearing the snow drift from the drivers seat. I found both kind of lacked leg room, the nod goes to the 900 series with a slightly wider cab and juice Transmission, a nice bostrom air ride seat would be a real improvement over the springer that comes with those trucks.

Lukes_deuce

An air ride seat in a 5 ton is the difference in 400miles a day and 800miles. I can do a full 12hrs in the drivers seat of my 923 without getting out. Only limited by the 12hours of drive time both my tanks allows while towing.

I am 6ft2 and 220lbs and i am comfortable. I even sleep in mine. I had the passengers seat swapped over to memory foam and its also 3 inches wider. I sleep just fine.

I have to give you credit for the amount of driving you do. I can barely stand after driving my truck 200 miles and 5-6 hours. Do you have other mods done to your truck to increase driver comfort? I have the goodyear MVTs at about 50-55 psi to soften them up.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I have to give you credit for the amount of driving you do. I can barely stand after driving my truck 200 miles and 5-6 hours. Do you have other mods done to your truck to increase driver comfort? I have the goodyear MVTs at about 50-55 psi to soften them up.
My 923 has around 4500 extra pounds of weight. It rides good. Even better with a skid steer in the bed. I wear headphones with Bluetooth. Can't even hear the truck then. I can leave memphis loaded at 55k at 5am and at 6pm i will be in Savannah, GA. I have an aftermarket style air ride. It makes it a Cadillac.

Nogueremuseum

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M923A2 Frankencab is immensely quieter than my former 923/25 with the soft top. These come with 1" foam insulation over most of the interior. The fabric covering the foam is falling off, so I am in the tedious process of replacing the foam with new bought from an internet truck sound deadening company.
The air ride bucket seats are fine, but these cabs are a bit cramped so that you can not lean the seat back.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks