• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cab floor mats

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Have any of y'all identified a supplier of the raw material that they use to make floor mats in HMMWVs, M939-series trucks, etc? I think it would be ideal for retrofitting trucks with bare floors, as well as repairing worn out mats. It's a very heavy black foam about a half inch thick, with a textured 383 green plastic skin on the top side. The skin appears to be dyed green, not painted. It's heavy enough that I suspect it's lead-loaded or something like that for noise damping. It does seem to trap moisture underneath it, though, so maybe it's not so good when simply laid on the floor rather than glued in place with full coverage of the floor underneath.

Benaj

I bought 2 3x4 1/2 rubber stall mats from tractor supply and cut them to fit.
Looks depend on how long you take to cut them to fit. They are heavy enough that you don't have to glue them down.

I made cardboard template and cut to match.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought 2 3x4 1/2 rubber stall mats from tractor supply and cut them to fit.
Looks depend on how long you take to cut them to fit. They are heavy enough that you don't have to glue them down.

I made cardboard template and cut to match.
I was thinking of doing that myself. What did you use to cut it? What side did you put on top, the diamond plate side or the slotted one?

Benaj

I used hand sheet metal shears ( big scissors ). It worked ok but took a little effort. The ones I bought have a very fine grain or pattern nothing hat stands out

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought 1/4" rubber mat from Tractor Supply. The sell it from a 4' wide roll at what ever length you want. I made brown paper templates of the floor areas I wanted to cover and cut it with razor blade knife.

Attachments

Blueduce

I used 3/4" interlocking foam mats. You get 16 sf for $20 at Lowes. Used them and some construction adheasive to replace the black foam insulation on my hard top. Works great and has survived a summer in Texas without a piece falling or warping. They also offer a great deal of rigidity to the roof of the hard top. They hose clean, insulate quite well and are paintable. The top enduring the 100+ degree summer was the test. I now plan on using them on the back wall of the cab and have started cutting and carpeting them for three piece removable floor mats. As added insulation I sprayed rubberized undercoating down first and made new canvas boots.

Attachments

nf6x

Feral Engineer
I used some of that interlocking stuff (from Harbor Freight, though) in the toolboxes on my M923 to keep stuff from banging around as much. I also just got some of the webbed plastic sleeving that's often used to protect things like large drill bits in shipment, and I started putting it around many of the tools, bars, pins, etc. on my wrecker, so they don't clank against each other so hard in the toolboxes. I ordered the sleeving from McMaster-Carr. Unfortunately, it's color-coded by size, so I have a lot of bright blue or bright red stuff in my boxes now. It'd be nice if I could get it in OD green color.

Blueduce

nf6x,
I'd like to see a pick or two of your tool box mod. I have been trying to find a cheap way to mount some type of extra tool box or something to my deuce. I need extra storage for tools and bug out supplies that's accessible from the ground. I'm wanting to mount some kind of water tight box to the under side of the bed. Something with a hinged lockable lid or door. I don't have access to sheet metal tools or I'd fab my own. I was thinking of a big ammo box but how would I mount it. Sorry crazy, not trying to jack your thread here. Just looking for ideas.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
nf6x,
I'd like to see a pick or two of your tool box mod. I have been trying to find a cheap way to mount some type of extra tool box or something to my deuce. I need extra storage for tools and bug out supplies that's accessible from the ground. I'm wanting to mount some kind of water tight box to the under side of the bed. Something with a hinged lockable lid or door. I don't have access to sheet metal tools or I'd fab my own. I was thinking of a big ammo box but how would I mount it. Sorry crazy, not trying to jack your thread here. Just looking for ideas.
I wouldn't call it much of a mod. I just cut pieces of the cheap Harbor Freight foam garage floor mats to size and stuck them in the bottom of the regular tool boxes on my M923. Those boxes are similar to the one on the deuce; not watertight at all. They are the normal boxes for that model of truck, not something that I added.

If you want pre-made watertight outside tool boxes, I would look into under-bed truck storage boxes. I've seen one style at McMaster-Carr; search on "truck box" there. They appear to be double-walled and have gasketed doors. Funny thing about McMaster-Carr is that they don't bother mentioning the manufacturers of their stuff, but when it arrives it's generally top of the line name-brand stuff. For example, order generic un-named pin punches, and they turn out to be Starret brand. So, those boxes aren't cheap, but they won't be shoddy imports, either.

Searching on "truck box" at Northern Tool turns up lots of interesting stuff, too. Maybe they'll have something that you could hang under the bed and paint green.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Be careful with floor mats. M35A3s come standard with rubber floor mats. Unfortunately, they tend to suffer rust from condensation and leaking rainwater under the mats. I'm seriously considering taking the rubber floor mats out of my A3.

orren

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mats

Good idea to remove mats while you still have a floor.

I spray coated a heavy liner the same as I used in the
bed on my M36A2C. Works great and very easy to clean
even though I still used the removable mats I had just for
added protection and sound deadening.

Be careful with floor mats. M35A3s come standard with rubber floor mats. Unfortunately, they tend to suffer rust from condensation and leaking rainwater under the mats. I'm seriously considering taking the rubber floor mats out of my A3.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good idea to remove mats while you still have a floor.

I spray coated a heavy liner the same as I used in the
bed on my M36A2C. Works great and very easy to clean
even though I still used the removable mats I had just for
added protection and sound deadening.
I'm now thinking about spraying bedliner on the cab floors of both my A2 and A3. The bedliner can then be painted to match the original GI colors. Thanks for the suggestion.

pyro1955

If your floor is already rusting, make sure to treat the rust and use something like POR-15 on it before adding the spray bed liner, otherwise you will only end up with a layer of bed liner when the rust finishes eating away the floor pan. I do think you are onto something though, bed liner to keep the floor pan protected, then a set of mats to add insulation for heat and sound.

DownRange762

Take a look here if you want really good insulation and sound deadening.
Introduction DynaMat Products
The stuff is easy to use and cut but as others have noted, it will not help with condenstaion or rain water getting between it and the steel floor and you'll still need to cover DynaMat with something else to protect it, but it does kill the sound and heat.

I've used POR-15 extensively on car projects and if you get complete coverage it will rust through...in about 1,000 years. I'd rate it high for protecting the steel and easier to apply with more control than the bed liner products.

DHennon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did the same thing as Tinwoodsman. I bought the 1/4' stall mats from Tractor Supply, made paper templates, and cut with a razor knife with a new blade. :grd:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks