• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cab Heater question

Hooty481

Looking for some cab heat in my 818 and had a friend give me a heater that came out of a M37. Looks real nice. The NSN 2540-00-869-0424 if any one wants to look it up. I cant find in the TM's where the heater gets it power from. The heater motor on this unit has a standard military single wire plug. Will this plug into the wiring harness under the dash. I know that i will need to get a switch to put in line with the the wire so it wont be running all the time. Also there is a heat sink that i will need to get so the extra voltage and energy waste will have a place to go when and if i wire it up for use in High and low mode. I will try to post some picture not sure if they will work most are to big for this website.

steelandcanvas

That unit should work fine in your truck. You will need a resistor to make a low speed connection. You might have to piece together some parts to make the system work, but parts are available.

steelandcanvas

Right above the steering column on the firewall, there is a circuit breaker. I installed a splitter there, and pulled the power for my heater from the splitter. I might have a photo at home of what I did. I think I even have a parts list and "blueprints".

steelandcanvas

Before you get too far ahead of yourself, did you check the heater core for leaks? Just a thought. When I wired my heater in, I tried to make it look like the motorpool did the job. I bought my wire and wire connectors from Erik's Military and Industrial Surplus - Military Vehicle Parts, Industrial and Military Surplus Electronics You may or may not wish to be as anal as I am when it comes to truck wiring, I just enjoy using the Mil-Spec parts and pieces. I hope this helps give you a start on you heater wiring, if you need any other photos or explainations, just let me know.

Attachments

eagle4g63

Not 100% sure but since the 818 has the same cab as the m35, I figure you should have a wire that can be used for power already. Mine had it. Anyway just above where the heater switch would be put(see the 3rd pic above) you should have a wire that isn't plugged into anything. That wire is only hot when the main switch is on and would plug right into the switch box(or if you use a normal on/off switch you could just plug it into that then run another wire out to the heater itself. I hope this helps.

Hooty481

ok i do remember seeing a couple wires under the dash that were not connected to anything. could one of you guys get me a wire number so i can make sure thats what ive got.

123 Mack I am interesteaded to see where you are going ot mount your heater box. I am un decided but more than likely it will go under the passenger side dash. I will try to get soem pictures when i make some progress. woudl love to see some of that M816 when you get done

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It's mounted under the passenger side of the dash with the nozzle pointing towards the center of the seats. It will draw air from inside the cab instead of outside.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

eagle4g63

I looked and the tag on the wire I plugged into said 55. Like I said it is right under the main switch, hanging there by the wiper switch(if you want to call it a switch, more like a valve) it was the only one there that had nothing in it.

Do you have a meter? plug into it with nothing on and it should read "0" turn on the main and it should read 24 volts(ish 23 up). If you don't have a meter(which I think anybody doing any type of electric should) you should at least make yourself an idiot light. The easiest thing to make is a bulb pigtail from a marker light or brake light, just make sure to use a 24 volt bulb for the mv's and 12 volt for your civi car.

steelandcanvas

I looked and the tag on the wire I plugged into said 55. Like I said it is right under the main switch, hanging there by the wiper switch(if you want to call it a switch, more like a valve) it was the only one there that had nothing in it...
Wire #55 goes to the manifold heater fuel pump from the manifold heater switch. Do you not have a manifold heater switch? If you do, I'd be willing to bet your manifold heater doesn't work, with wire #55 just dangling there. #55 would be OK to get power from for the heater, but I would fuse the wire going from there to the heater, 15 Amp would suffice on #14 AWG wire. I believe the original installation instructions tell you to use a splitter off of the horn circuit breaker on the firewall and install another circuit breaker for the heater. I've listed the parts and where to get them should you wish to install according the original instructions.

adpt
<male>
15amp
Prestolite Wire For Military Vehicles, 14 AWG, M13486/1-5

eagle4g63

No, I don't have a manifold heater on my truck. So I guess that is why that wire was just hanging there:razz:

I also had NO heater of any kind in my truck so I just figured that was there for that. It had voltage with the main switch on and none with it off.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks