• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cab Lift Problem and finding Hydraulic Reservoir on 1994 M1078

D Foster

Hello All, Went to attempt to lift my cab. It went up approx. half way and had to use the cab manual jack to lift rest of way up. My manual says to check the hydra. reservoir but the diagram they show does not appear to match my truck? I also noticed the manual says: "If Equiped"? I would think all the trucks would have a hydraulic reservoir? Also when I put the cab back down it appears to be working okay so far. Any help would be appreciated.

firefinder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a very old unit with multiple manual pumps. To my knowledge units that had an air/hydraulic pump had the pump located in the same place. The air/hydraulic pump is located behind the cab and between the spare tire and air filter snorkel. The air/hydraulic reservoir is part of the air/hydraulic pump.

NDT has a great thread on the rebuild of the air/hydraulic pump.

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?137274-FMTV-Air-Hydraulic-Unit-Repair

The air/hydraulic manifold (by the passenger side toolbox) is also a good source for leaks. Almost all of the items can be rebuilt.

Use the search function for a variety of threads on repairing the individual components and troubleshooting ideas.

Last edited:

D Foster

What sound did the pump make when it was unable to raise the cab?
When attempting to lift the cab with the pump the pump made an empty banging type sound? Someone mentioned NDT had a good thread on pump rebuilding. Who is the NDT as I am not familiar? I will check the pump tomorrow. I now have a good idea on its location. Thanks! PS Will also check the air/hydr. manifold. I did notice I have a lot of air coming out of the bottom right knob (cab air springs)

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As Suprman implied, check your fluid level in the reservoir. Going part way up implies the air/hydraulic pump is working and there are no leaks or blockages. The reservoir is small and if not serviced can run out of capacity.

After you find the pump located behind the cab (literally a black box, usually), there is a round knob that's the dipstick. Unscrew it, check level, and that's the fill point.

D Foster

Cab Now Lifting!

As Suprman implied, check your fluid level in the reservoir. Going part way up implies the air/hydraulic pump is working and there are no leaks or blockages. The reservoir is small and if not serviced can run out of capacity.

After you find the pump located behind the cab (literally a black box, usually), there is a round knob that's the dipstick. Unscrew it, check level, and that's the fill point.
Hello Suprman, Just wanted to thank you and the others for all the input. As you mentioned after finding the black reservoir box it was very low on fluild. After replenishing with fluid it now is working fine. Also checked for leaks and all looks good. Thanks again!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks