• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cab lift spare tire and suspension inop M1083A1 WO/W

steventripp

we replaced the cab lift piston because it was leaking and the cab latch because of a leak , we have replaced the selector manifold, and the cab lift pump with no success. None of the systems work the reservoir is full, the cab lift piston was bench tested. Any help would be appreciated TIA.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Maybe something is connected wrong. Did you install a new manifold or used? Sometimes you have to bleed the system to get the air out. Do any of the functions work with the hand pump? You can take lines off and see if you have hyd flow. I have seen situations where there was previously water in the system and everything is rusty gunked up but it sounds like you pretty much replaced everything already.

steventripp

What happens when you use the hand pump? Does it seem to be moving fluid or just build up pressure and become hard to pump?
zero pressure behind the hand pump, as well as when I use the air over hydro pump and crack a line I have pressure coming out of said line just no movement on the piston

Ronmar

Well if the pumps are moving fluid, then at some point in the system the supply is passing fluid to the return and failing to build pressure. The only pressure relief valves are in the pump units themselves and there are check valves after them so I don’t see that as being a problem.

air is not really a problem, it simply is compressed By fluid untill it reaches the workIng pressure and is forced thru the system as a compressed bubble untill it returns to the reservoir It can cause jerking operation until it is purged.

As with nearly all hydraulic troubleshooting you need a pressure gauge. It is to hydraulics, what a voltmeter is to electrical troubleshooting. Disconnect the pressure line from the Air Op Pump and attach a gauge, briefly operate the pump and look for at least 1500 PSI. If it cant do that, the pump is the problem, If it can, cover the fitting and wrench with a rag and release the pressure, re-attach the output line and move the gauge downstream to where it connects to the valve manifold and re-test pressure.

Keep moving downstream. You are looking for the point where you cannot build pressure then you need to figure why it cannot do that.

Always cover the fittings with a rag and keep finders away when loosening/releasing pressure. Hydraulic Skin injection or hydraulic eye injuries are particularly nasty...

you can do this without a gauge because the AOP operates differently loaded or unloaded. With a given input air pressure, Unloaded it goes clunkclunkclunk very quickly. Under load, like with a pipe plug where it’s outlet line should be, it goes cathunk... cathunk... cathunk... much slower as the air must force the piston to build hydraulic pressure...

If the pump can build pressure I suspect you have a crossed line somewhere or the control valve is internally allowing fluid to bypass the work...

Last edited: