• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cab mount bushings

Duckworthe

Morning all,
Let me start out by stating if you are a purist, you may want to go run and hide in a closet for this. I am not a purist. I am function over form on my truck. Not looking to get $$ taken out of my pocket for a correct NSN part from a few dealers that control the market, when there is an expectable alterative.
Now with that said. I noticed a bit of noise coming from the front passenger cab bushing the other day. I knew that the lower bushings were dried out and wouldn't last long when I bought the truck. Just as the rear sway bar bushings were shot. I decided to make my own. I didn't even look for the original units as the web site that sells on here wanted $90 each for the sway bar bushings, I wasn't going to pay some ridicules price for these either. I used poly bushings for the sway bars. The lower cab mounts are just rubber pucks, Soooo that's what I used. Rubber pucks, hockey that is. They are just a little smaller then the backing plate that goes against them so they will work just fine. It took about 30 min to replace both bushings on the truck to include drilling out the 1 5/32" hole through the pucks. The hockey pucks run anywhere from $1.50- $6.00 if you buy the official NHL pucks. cab mounts rotten.jpgcab mounts d side rotten.jpgcab mounts hockey pucks.jpgI have used Hockey pucks for years for many things and they have outlasted every other part to date. I took the truck out for a good off-road ride to see/hear the difference and it worked amazing as I knew it would. So if your lower front cab bushings are bad you may want to take a look at replacing them. Its easy and if you don't want to pay the price for the original bushing take a look at the hockey puck option.
Have a great day.
Eric

scottmandu

Boat trailer rollers and bumpers work great also, they are quite a bit softer and have a steel insert for the hole, plus they come in a number of different sizes and lengths.

Feal318000

i need sway bar bushings, could you post a pic, and list the materials you used? please? i am also in full agreement on not needing "the" part when something else (that is cheaper) works.

Duckworthe

i need sway bar bushings, could you post a pic, and list the materials you used? please? i am also in full agreement on not needing "the" part when something else (that is cheaper) works.
I cant get a pic to post right now. The browse window wont come up to load the pic. If you go back through my posts and look for sway bar bushings you can see them there. I bought them from my semi truck parts shop called San Diego Friction or Wetmores. they will send them to you I'm sure They have a web site and are great people however very busy. Two stores now, downtown San diego and El Cajon. If you can find it just call me and ill text it to you
Eric,
619-952-4337

Duckworthe

0314162104.jpg
Finally able to get back and post the pic of the bushing with the part number on it. This bushing is a blank bushing with only a hole in it that fits our sway bars. If you use it you will need to turn it down on its outside to make it fit. Use it if you want to pay 30 bucks for two of them and have the ability to modify them to fit.
Eric

1951M1078

[

QUOTE=Duckworthe;1956413]View attachment 658376

Who did you get them from ? On the net their $40 +- for one.
Finally able to get back and post the pic of the bushing with the part number on it. This bushing is a blank bushing with only a hole in it that fits our sway bars. If you use it you will need to turn it down on its outside to make it fit. Use it if you want to pay 30 bucks for two of them and have the ability to modify them to fit.
Eric[/QUOTE]

Duckworthe

[

QUOTE=Duckworthe;1956413]View attachment 658376

Who did you get them from ? On the net their $40 +- for one.
Eric
[/QUOTE]

See post #5

INFvet

Great common sense enginuity. Any chance you could post a picture of that puck installed for reference? I just got my first M1078 and the upper on the passenger side was missing and bottom looks just like yours from your post. So I will be doing cab mounts and rear sway bushing lowers as they are completely grenaded. Thanks alot!

Duckworthe

I don't have a pic of it installed off hand but it looks just the original bushing except about 1/8 inch smaller in diameter. I will try to get to the truck tonight and get pic if I can.