• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cab ride shock absorbers

Wingnut13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After my last ride I did a walk around as per standard. I heard an air leak from the passenger side cab air ride can. Today I decided to look into the issue and found the leak was from the top shock retention pin O-Ring. Once I had the unit it out it sounded faintly like a clunky hourglass, and once I had the unit apart I found the top shock bushing had deteriorated into rubber dust. I'm looking for a suitable substitute for the bushing and O-Rings. The shock eye ID is .875 (7/8") and the OD of the pin is .625 (5/8"). If I can locate a bushing and the correct O-Ring I'll post it up. tempImageHSmwq4.jpg

coachgeo

After my last ride I did a walk around as per standard. I heard an air leak from the passenger side cab air ride can. Today I decided to look into the issue and found the leak was from the top shock retention pin O-Ring. Once I had the unit it out it sounded faintly like a clunky hourglass, and once I had the unit apart I found the top shock bushing had deteriorated into rubber dust. I'm looking for a suitable substitute for the bushing and O-Rings. The shock eye ID is .875 (7/8") and the OD of the pin is .625 (5/8"). If I can locate a bushing and the correct O-Ring I'll post it up. View attachment 846150
Id suggest make your own with pourable polyurethane

Wingnut13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did check out the energy suspension website for universal fir bushings, nothing too close there. Making a bushing may be the way to go, either poured or machined. Anyone have a tip for what to replace the metal band with that holds the airbag to the body?

coachgeo

I did check out the energy suspension website for universal fir bushings, nothing too close there. Making a bushing may be the way to go, either poured or machined. Anyone have a tip for what to replace the metal band with that holds the airbag to the body?
so far that is what no one has tried yet. Last I heard there were only one or two companies in all of US that do that type of banning.

Ronmar

Yea, mine are not leaking yet, but I am planning on aftermarket cab shocks and airbags to replace these aging one piece units…

Wingnut13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I made progress, and found out I hosed myself. I didn't get the message about not cutting that top band that holds the sleeve on. I just ran across that thread today. The job would have been done had I not done that. So I'm trying to crack that nut now.

As far as the O-rings go that seal the top pin, I have a few O-ring kits but the one from Harbor Freight had the right size. Cost $7 for that kit as I recall.

So for as the bushings go I had some derlin round stock and had new bushings in no time. I just used some Loktite red to hold the new bushing in the eye of the shock.

Wingnut13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To hopefully close this thread out I ended up using a regular hose clamp and once clamped down with a bit more help I used my TIG to tack weld the band closed. I put the unit on the truck and have taken a few rides, half expecting the band to pop, it hasn't. The ride is so much nicer with that bushing replaced. That metal on metal hammering is now gone.

tempImageovlFJO.jpg

coachgeo

To hopefully close this thread out I ended up using a regular hose clamp and once clamped down with a bit more help I used my TIG to tack weld the band closed. I put the unit on the truck and have taken a few rides, half expecting the band to pop, it hasn't. ....
Keep us posted on short and long term success of the band holding her good. Did you add any sealant to the end of the sleeve prior to install?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks