• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cab top with gun cut out were to get ?

rrrr

I'm looking for a hard cab top with the gun cut out. Anybody know where to get one. I did a search without much luck. The vendors/classified section doesn't show any. I really don't want to modify my existing top since its kinda rough and would rather just replace it. I don't want to go with a soft top.

Help please !

thanks

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They were modified by the units. They are hard to find and most i've seen are pretty butchered.

L999here

...most I've seen...

Most of the M49/66 ring mounts were used with canvas tops...at least the ones I saw in the 60's thru 80's. Hard tops,as mentioned,were modified at the unit level by northern Guard/Reserve Units. Keeping snow/rain/weather out was not a priority when it comes to defending troops or during a convoy run. That's why they made 'gun trucks'....a specific answer to a definite problem.

rrrr

I saw in another post someone that used an existing ring type opening that was mounted on a plate that was simply bolted/riveted on. Looks very clean and simple. Anyone have any idea where to get such an animal ?

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I never saw any vehicles with hard tops with cutouts during my time in the Army 1970 - 71, while stationed with the 3rd Armored Division in Germany - my unit (2/36th Inf) only had canvas tops for all 2-1/2 and 5 ton vehicles. When in the Reserves 72-73 they were all canvas tops as well.

Varyag

There were a few that went through GL on 5 tons. There is no way I could find a pic but the hole looked like it was factory. it was cut out with an aluminum ring bordering it. They had a canvas hatch cover.

rrrr

There were a few that went through GL on 5 tons. There is no way I could find a pic but the hole looked like it was factory. it was cut out with an aluminum ring bordering it. They had a canvas hatch cover.
If I could find the aluminum ring that would be great to.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The ones i've seen that had the plate were flat, the roof isn't exactly flat. Wreckerman had one that used a cut off 55 gallon drum that had the base cut 2" or so up and bent over and riveted to the top.

rrrr

I've got a couple I wouldn't mind selling but you'd probably have to ship it by truck.
I'll pm you my info if you could send pictures with the price your asking I would be willing to drive up and get it if the price is right. I am 500 miles away !

The 55 gallon drum method will be my next option if either too expensive or parts not available.

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Wreckerman had one that used a cut off 55 gallon drum that had the base cut 2" or so up and bent over and riveted to the top.
It was on my first deuce.....I called it the "redneck gun turret"......pretty much a hack job and leaked like a screen door.

I got some pics but they're on my old laptop.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks