• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cabarrus County, NC vs the Trappster

Blythewoodjoe

When I picked up my Burma Jeep Monday, I got to meet a nice young man in Concord that wrote me a ticket. It was a delightful end to a long and stressful day. I post this story because it is just too bazaar to keep to myself. I'll try to keep it short.

But first, the Ford GTB. I didn't get to the old Johnson place until around 4:00 pm but one of the scrap guys was there (at least I think he was a scrap guy) and he helped me load it with his loader. Once loaded the trip home should have been quite uneventful. My wife and I had been on the road since 10:00 that morning and despite the rain had picked up everything we needed to. Very relieved at this point.

Back to the ticket. We stopped at the Golden Corral. The 40' trailer was tight to get in the parking lot. Left there and needed to get fuel. Hopped on I-85 and head south. Exited at an exit that looked less crowded than the road we had been on. Followed the signs to the right toward the "diesel" stores. As we approached the stop light at an intersection with the station on the corner, I turned right toward what I thought was a "right' angle road. It was not. The road to my right actually cut much sharper and the exit like road we where on was coming up to the other street. Anyway there was a "no left turn" sign on this exit. As I approached the other street I noticed the drive way to the gas station directly in front of us. I stopped, looked both ways and drove across the street into the gas station. I noticed a police car sitting at the gas station facing our direction. I stopped at a pump and he backed up and pulled up behind me. He walked up and said something to effect I turned illegally at the intersection and asked for my license and registration. I pointed out I was in a borrowed truck and didn't know where the registration was but I found it.

He took them, went to his car and told me I could pump my fuel while he took care of this. I pumped my fuel, he returned after a few minutes with my ticket. $25 fine, $136 court cost. He gave me paper with the pay on line instructions on it. And this is the part that ticked me off, he back up the car and pulled it to the spot it was in before, to catch the next out of town driver. You see anyone that knew the area would have went past the light and taken the driveway on the other side. Only people unfamiliar with the area would do what we did.

Anyway, here's the best part. Yesterday I received 5 letters from Lawyers in the area offering to represent me in this case. What a load of crap. The LEO also wrote on the ticket "OPERATE A MOTOR VEHICLE ON A STREET OR HIGHWAY BY FAILING TO MAKE A RIGHT TURN IN A MANNER AS DIRECTED BY A DIRECTION SIGN OR MARKER (G.S. 20-153)"

I thought a no left turn sign meant you could not turn left, not that you had to turn right. Anyway if any of guys are familiar with traffic court in NC please share how it works. It will take me 4 hours round trip each time I go up there and I suspect I will have to appear on my court date and then request a jury trial (hold on, I just read no jury trail for this) for another date. I also would love to know where to find the list of citations that the lawyers see. Big shocker here, but the county people don't know anything if you call. And my wife is a paralegal and works for the solicitors (prosecutors) office here in Columbia and she could get any info from the people.

Last edited:

combatmech

I had a simular experience.....I got a speeding ticket going back to Va Beach from the outer banks. Sneaky little guy.....And then the letters from lawyers came pouring in. My thoughts were....the lawyers are REALLY bored...or the local leo's are a touch on the dirty side.
Sorry for your troubles.......

Chief_919

Welcome to the revenue officers. NC needs the "tax" money.
Actually none of the money from a traffic ticket goes to the municipality in NC. It all goes to the state general fund.

And that is a good thing- it is one reason why you don't see little speed trap towns who generate money with tickets in NC like you do in some other states like SC and GA- there is no money in being a speed trap.

As a result, when you see a city or county officer working traffic enforcement in a certain area it is almost always because there is a history of trouble at that spot and they are responding to it.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
"$25 fine, $136 court cost. "

bet the 25 goes to the state but the 136 goes to the city, thats how thay get around the state getting the fine to end speed traps, still a speed trap is a speed trap

Chief_919

"$25 fine, $136 court cost. "

bet the 25 goes to the state but the 136 goes to the city, thats how thay get around the state getting the fine to end speed traps, still a speed trap is a speed trap
Nope, all of the court costs got to the state, divided up among several funds. None of the court costs go to the city.

MSgt USMC (Ret)

When I picked up my Burma Jeep Monday, I got to meet a nice young man in Concord that wrote me a ticket. It was a delightful end to a long and stressful day. I post this story because it is just too bazaar to keep to myself. I'll try to keep it short.

But first, the Ford GTB. I didn't get to the old Johnson place until around 4:00 pm but one of the scrap guys was there (at least I think he was a scrap guy) and he helped me load it with his loader. Once loaded the trip home should have been quite uneventful. My wife and I had been on the road since 10:00 that morning and despite the rain had picked up everything we needed to. Very relieved at this point.

Back to the ticket. We stopped at the Golden Corral. The 40' trailer was tight to get in the parking lot. Left there and needed to get fuel. Hopped on I-85 and head south. Exited at an exit that looked less crowded than the road we had been on. Followed the signs to the right toward the "diesel" stores. As we approached the stop light at an intersection with the station on the corner, I turned right toward what I thought was a "right' angle road. It was not. The road to my right actually cut much sharper and the exit like road we where on was coming up to the other street. Anyway there was a "no left turn" sign on this exit. As I approached the other street I noticed the drive way to the gas station directly in front of us. I stopped, looked both ways and drove across the street into the gas station. I noticed a police car sitting at the gas station facing our direction. I stopped at a pump and he backed up and pulled up behind me. He walked up and said something to effect I turned illegally at the intersection and asked for my license and registration. I pointed out I was in a borrowed truck and didn't know where the registration was but I found it.

He took them, went to his car and told me I could pump my fuel while he took care of this. I pumped my fuel, he returned after a few minutes with my ticket. $25 fine, $136 court cost. He gave me paper with the pay on line instructions on it. And this is the part that ticked me off, he back up the car and pulled it to the spot it was in before, to catch the next out of town driver. You see anyone that knew the area would have went past the light and taken the driveway on the other side. Only people unfamiliar with the area would do what we did.

Anyway, here's the best part. Yesterday I received 5 letters from Lawyers in the area offering to represent me in this case. What a load of crap. The LEO also wrote on the ticket "OPERATE A MOTOR VEHICLE ON A STREET OR HIGHWAY BY FAILING TO MAKE A RIGHT TURN IN A MANNER AS DIRECTED BY A DIRECTION SIGN OR MARKER (G.S. 20-153)"

I thought a no left turn sign meant you could not turn left, not that you had to turn right. Anyway if any of guys are familiar with traffic court in NC please share how it works. It will take me 4 hours round trip each time I go up there and I suspect I will have to appear on my court date and then request a jury trial (hold on, I just read no jury trail for this) for another date. I also would love to know where to find the list of citations that the lawyers see. Big shocker here, but the county people don't know anything if you call. And my wife is a paralegal and works for the solicitors (prosecutors) office here in Columbia and she could get any info from the people.
I live in Cabarrus Cty, where is this location exactly? Was it the I-85 exit at Poplar Tent Rd or the I-85 exit at Hwy 73 (Davidson Hwy)? Concord PD doesn't usually hang around the exit off ramp areas as the Hwy Patrol covers them.

Last edited:

Blythewoodjoe

I live in Cabarrus Cty, where is this location exactly? Was it the I-85 exit at Poplar Tent Rd or the I-85 exit at Hwy 73 (Davidson Hwy)? Concord PD doesn't usually hang around the exit off ramp areas as the Hwy Patrol covers them.
I think that is the place. It was at the intersection of Trinity church rd and Davidson highway. Here's a picture of the location. The red arrow is my path and the blue dot is the officers post. There was a no left turn sign where I put the red do. He cited me for not making a right turn as required. I plan to go to court and give the system a chance to work, but frankly I don't think it will.

Attachments

Chief_919

I think that is the place. It was at the intersection of Trinity church rd and Davidson highway. Here's a picture of the location. The red arrow is my path and the blue dot is the officers post. There was a no left turn sign where I put the red do. He cited me for not making a right turn as required. I plan to go to court and give the system a chance to work, but frankly I don't think it will.
Yeah, you won't win that one. You took a left from a merge lane, across what looks like 4 lanes of traffic, right next to a no left turn sign.

I would bet they have had a history of accidents there caused by people pulling across in front of traffic where people don't expect it, leading them to target the spot.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
i personaly would fight it... to **** and back too

That would be my first inclination as well as I really hate giving in when I think I'm right.

HOWEVER...I know when the time to pay the fine was nearly up and I faced losing a day's work and prolly the case...I would just pay the fine.

From looking at the pic I can see where you were wrong (I think??) to cut across the road rather than following the merge ramp to the right.
Then again...I wasn't there and can't see the specifics...so I say just do what you feel is right for you.:beer:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Allright I gotta chime in, Are we saying he shoulda driven forward done the loop and came back and taken the right? I call BS, In any other state that can read, he would have been parked for hours and not given a ticket...[thumbzup]

Blythewoodjoe

My issue is this. As someone who had never been to that intersection before and had not seen an over head photo or even what lied beyond my field of view, the sign in the area was not clear. My wife still maintains the believe we went strait, not left. After looking over the photos and reading the law, I see it differently. But like I said, the only thing available to me at the time was a sign, a very odd interchange (from eye level) and only a few seconds to decide what to do. I was pulling a 40 foot trailer in the rain and where I could go was very limited. When I saw the sign the driveway to the gas station was directly in front of me, not to my left. I personally believe the officer at hand should have investigated what was going on but did nothing except write a ticket and kindly inform me how to pay on line.

I plan to go present my case before the Judge because I want to believe people are decent and fair. I don't believe that but I want to and ask God from time to time to help me have faith in the human race. Either he will agree the area is not clearly marked for a first time visitor, or he will not. I have to give him the chance. Yes it would be cheaper to pay the fine and I will not be shocked if I still do. Thanks for the input, it has been very helpful to see others views.

Joe

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I hate to say it but being a first timer is no excuse, ignorance of the law is not a excuse, I would go to the judge about the sign placement, most signs that are placed like this with out a lot of distance ahead so you can see it and react, have another sign ahead of it warning about the upcoming sign

mistaken1

Seems to me a median would cure the issue as no one could cross the road in the same manner you did. Much more effective than a sign unless of course the purpose of the strategically placed sign is revenue generation.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks